Instruction/Coaching for new M4/3 users?

lakibler

New to Mu-43
My husband bought me a Panasonic M4/3 camera two years ago and I would like to become more expert at getting the most out of it. Is there a "For Dummies" kind of guide out there - something that is an instructional handbook or video guide?

barry

Super Moderator
Hi, are you looking for model specific instruction, or general digital photography info?

If the former, please state the model of your camera.

Barry

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
If it's the actual camera manual you're after you should be able to download a PDF version from the Panasonic website. Otherwise there isn't a great deal that is specific to µ4/3, any photography guide should help you understand the settings.
Cambridge in colour http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/ is a good on-line one, that IIRC covers both basic settings & more advanced techniques.

When you're after micro 4/3 specific information this forum is probably the best place! :biggrin:

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Any person new to photography should read the "Understanding exposure" book by Bryan Peterson. It's comprehensive (about the basics) yet easy to read. the ISO, main rules of photography, etc...

There are multiple youtube and other videos on the subject, if you're facing time constraints, but i still prefer that book to any other short video.

Apart from that, things specific to m43 are mostly related to (arguably) relatively small sensor (less subject isolation than full frame DSLRs, slightly higher noise, crop factor of 2 times etc), it being contrast based (as oppose to phase detect sensor in DSLRs, meaning there are people saying it's slower focusing for e.g. faster moving subjects) and the bodies/lenses being much smaller than DSLR counterparts...

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
There are some books that are specific to particular camera models, although not every model. As someone coming from a point-and-shoot background, I found the books easier to use than the camera manuals.

Otherwise, any good book on digital photography (and many books from the days of film-only photography) will be fine. I agree with the recommendation of "Understanding Exposure."

What's your level of experience with photography? I think people will be able to make more relevant recommendations if they know where you're coming from.

Latest threads

Top Bottom