1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Installing Latest Firmware Update for OM D E-M5 II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by larryis1, Dec 8, 2015.

1. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I am getting ready to do the firmware update. Question... I heard somewhere that the update resets your photo numbering back to zero. I would like to preserve the current sequential count and not modify back to zero. Any experience? Is this a real concern? If yes, any workarounds?

Thanks, Larry

2. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    I read the same about the E-M1 - it may be so. But if you have your SD card (with the latest picture) in the camera while doing the update - and then take a new picture on the same card you will be OK. The camera will read the highest number on the card and continue the sequence.

There will only be a problem if you update the camera and then immediately insert a blank memory card. Then the camera will not know your latest number.

3. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Did the update yesterday. I was worried too so I pulled out the sd card before the upgrade. After the upgrade, remember to change the setting in the h/file name menu to auto instead of erase, and you're good to go.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The first thing to do after the update is go into the Menu *H to Record/Erase & set File Name to Auto (default is Reset), then you can do the following suggestion by ThorEgil & it will continue on. Failing that, setting Auto afterwards it will only mean mean it will start from zero that day as the file name has the month & date. Also, don't forget to set the date & time again as well & also if you normally save LSF jpeg (with or without raw) to set that too. I also change the first letter P to something different for each of my Olympus cameras to keep each identifiably different.

Don't forget to change the File Name setting from Reset to Auto for the numbering to continue on.

5. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you all for the fine guidance and help before I start the upgrade. Your input is definitely helpful. Take care.

• Like Like x 2
  6. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Tried the firmware update this week. Never got the "OK" message on the camera's LCD. Called Olympus tech support while camera still hooked up via USB, followed their instructions. Unfortunately camera bricked and went back to Olympus in Enfield, CT. Only positive news is that the camera is under the warranty and Olympus is paying shipping both ways. Can't wait till I get my camera back. Just sharing ...

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Aren't you glad you asked out help? As least you'll have a working camera.