1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

instagram in 500 words or less

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by caimi, Jul 15, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Hopefully much less. An acquaintance has been bugging me to open up an instagram account and post my pictures on it. Nevermind that the whole instagram process seems hopelessly confusing and needlessly complicated to me, I have really only one (or two) questions about it:

1) True or false: It seems exclusively designed to allow users to share photos they have taken with their telephones. Can someone, me for instance, share photos he has taken with a camera.

2) How?

Thanks in advance for your help or in advising me to steer clear of instagram.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi

I am on Instagram and I upload all pics but mainly from camera . I normally upload my pics to Flickr and then download from Flickr to phone and upload them on Instagram . It's just fun .
    Cheers

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    To me, Instagram is like Twitter. Useful for throw-away topics that you want to shout out to your peeps.

Since I throw away all my throw-away photos in the editing (before anyone sees them), I have no use for Instagram.

I rarely take photos with my phone. Occassionally I tweet a picture, but it is very rare. Most of my picures with my phone are pictures-in-lieu-of-writing-something-down. Not things I share with others.

4. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    Instagram, in my opinion, is like Twitter, but with less talking. Twitter allows you 140 characters to say what you gotta say. But, a picture is worth 1,000 words, right? So basically you can snap a photo of your food or your kid at the beach or a beautiful mountain view and share it with your friends (called Followers on IG). I see a lot of people uploading photos to their phones and then posting them on IG, but it's an awful lot of trouble to get them to your phone and then get them to IG so I only post what I snap on my phone.

It's just fun and if you get into tags and what not, you can find people with similar interests and build up a neat following. For instance, I love fountain pens and I will photograph a new pen with Instagram and put tags related to the pen culture. If you don't know what tags are, they're keywords preceded by the pound sign (#). So for my fountain pen posts, I'll tag: #penaddict #fountainpens #pens #stationery #BRAND (with brand being whichever company made the pen) #ink #art... Stuff like that. People do searches for those tags and find your photos.

I don't have a Facebook and I'm rarely on Twitter so IG is a way for me to connect with friends and followers with photos. It's neat.

5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    My Instagram is partly documentation and partly just for fun. Big part of photos goes to Facebook also. Definitely part of my hobby. They are mainly from my iPhone but a few from my real camera (OM-D).

Instagram

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'll echo the "it's just fun" aspect. I tried to avoid it because of the FB ties, but in the end, they were basically able to do what flickr sorta tried to do from the begining.. a stream of your life in photos.

While there are a core group that feel instagram should be mobile only, I think it's evolved past that. The easiest way is to just copy pictures to your phone and upload. Or if you're really inclined, get a wifi card to push pictures to your phone.

7. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    You can opt not to have your stuff put on Facebook. When you upload a photo, you can choose where you want it to go (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). I don't even have a Facebook (because it's a vicious, undying black hole that sucks the life out of every living thing that graces its electronic doorstep, regurgitating negativity, rumors, ill-will and political thrashing from people too ignorant to know a bad rumor from a case of indigestion), but I can use Instagram just fine.

When I download apps or go to websites that ask me for a Facebook login, I decline and go about logging in the old fashioned way... With an email address and password. Nobody needs to know my every move and purchase and interest on the web. Same with Instagram. I share it with my followers and block anybody that starts following me that I don't want to follow me.

8. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    So there is general agreement that instagram is fun. Who doesn't like fun?

But can someone tell me the process by which I transfer flickr or facebook pictures from there to my phone ? Thanks again.

9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think they kind of half to evolve since the introduction of Android and wifi enabled cameras. I've seen examples when the service was first catching on where people were hating on a picture taken no from a phone. Some of the comments were saying it was missing something, and it smells of effort. Maybe the few Galaxy NX and NX2000 owners may change perceptions a little more?

Depends on the devices you are using, but usually long pressing on the image should give you an option to save the image, no?

10. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    What smartphone are you using? If you are using an iOS device, then you can put your images on iCloud (Photostream) and from your phone you can access those images. This is how I do it to post my images on other social networks.. But I also use an iPad so transferring to iCloud is pretty simple.

You could also try dropbox as a place to store the image then download it onto your device or email is another good transport option.

What's your setup?

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    WiFi upload to Instagram?

12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I recently got on Instagram and have no idea what to do with it. Everyone I know seems to post photos of their pets, babies, and food. Not super interesting. Also, I don't see what it does that Facebook can't do. I'm not sure how long I'll be a 'grammer.

13. bob madison

bob madison Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    instagram in 500 words or less

Why? :)

Not for me. Don't usually share much.

14. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    Comparing Instagram to Facebook is like comparing Apples to Oranges. They're completely different things... Yes, they are both Social Networking (technically), just as apples and oranges are both fruits. But aside from falling under the social network umbrella, they're completely different.

Instagram isn't Facebook. You can post your Instagram photos to Facebook if you want, but you don't have to. It's optional (thank God).

Facebook is for talking. Instagram is just a way to capture what you're seeing right then for your followers to see. Say you're hiking and you come across a beautiful vista (not the Windows kind). You're probably not going to whip out your MacBook Pro right there on the Whichiewatchie Trail and post a lengthy Facebook Update about this beautiful babbling brook flowing over million-year-old boulders. But you could pull out your smartphone or Android-powered camera or WiFi-Enabled camera or whatever, snap a photo of it and post it to Instagram with a nifty filter and a snazzy border (I personally don't use the borders). Tag it with a few keywords and go on about your business.

Facebook is about communicating with people with lengthy discussions, messages, etc. Instagram (and ultimately Twitter, really) are more about brevity; "What are you doing right now?" Tell me in 140 characters or less. Or tell me with a 1:1 snapshot from your phone.

Brevity is really the difference. I got rid of Facebook a while back because it just became completely engrained in everything I did on the web and it was filled with negativity and other people's opinions. Instagram is just pictures. People's kids. People's pets. People's adventures. Their late night trips to the 7/11. Their early morning coffee at Starbucks. Their view from the top of the ferris wheel. Their new MacBook or camera or pen or car. One photo. A few words and you know exactly what they're up to. No talking. No arguing. No opinions. No threads. Nothing. Just a picture.

15. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    By the way... If anyone wants to see more photos of a Pug than should be legal, check out my Instagram feed. I'm on there as @heymatthew.

Instagram

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Now, do not hold back. Tell us how you really feel about FB. :biggrin:
    It's funny that you feel so strongly about FB, yet Instagram is owned by them and you have no issues with them, especially in light of their proposed changes last December that prompted such an uproar. I believe they backed down, but I would not trust them any more than I trust FB.

--Ken

17. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    IG is just plain fun, most of my photos are taken with my camera my phone. Easy to upload from the iCloud photostream. donlaw100 if anyone wants to check me out. You can find some very talented souls to follow if you sort through all the selfies.

18. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    Kent,
    I don't have a problem with Facebook in itself. I have a problem with content. It seems that Facebook drives a lot of drama. Especially since they became more "open" with the connection. In the early days of Facebook, everything you posted wasn't just "out there" for the world to grab. They then became more open and started sharing everything you do with anyone you were connected with.

A good example is when they brought about "Timelines". Facebook regurgitated a bunch of old photos of me that I thought were long gone and it made for some awkward conversations. Shame on me for ever posting them in the first place as I should have known better (oh what I'd tell my 20-year-old self if I could just go back...), but still. Facebook has this mentality that what's yours is theirs and what's theirs is theirs. That was the fight with Instagram and that's why millions of users turned their backs on it. It was good to see them go back on that.

I guarantee you that if they ever pull a stunt like that again, the same repercussions will take effect and they'll either back down, or they'll lose millions of users.

I think Facebook used to be about surrounding yourself with close friends and acquaintances that you maybe couldn't connect with otherwise (college buddies, family members, etc.). Now, it's about ad revenue, politics and drama. I don't get any of that with Instagram, though.

Instagram is just fun.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Well, FB isn't alone in mining us for data, but they are the poster child these days. I am probably a bit older than you, and a little more cautious about what I post to the web, so I generally do not share anything that I would not want seen by my mother, my employer or my clergy.

Also, I found it interesting that you found FB to be a place for lengthy discussions. I generally see it as a small step above things like Twitter or text messaging. For lengthy discussions, my choice is email or blog posts, but then again, my nieces and nephews think I am old school because I like email. I guess I am a product of my work environment. Everything we write at work is retained in an archive for years as they are public records, and good documentation is essential. I do text, but that is not how I would conduct a written conversation. But, I would agree with you that IG is not about conversations. Post an image and move on.

--Ken

20. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Samsung galaxy.