instagram claims all rights to uploaded photos including sales and licensing

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ghetto, Dec 18, 2012.

1. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Corporate greed. :mad:
  2. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Well, I now know what I am going to do this evening....delete online and deinstall...e
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    If you're on a web site and you don't know what the product is, it's you.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    This would never have happened if Mark Zuckerberg were alive...

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Hmm. That's gonna be a lawsuit.
  6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This is nothing new. Google for example has claimed the same rights to anything people upload to Google. So just watch what you send through gmail. Google could publish it for you.

"11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services."
  7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Probably just a catch all so they know they'll never get sued if, for instance, they use photos in advertising or something. If they actually took people's photos and tried make money off them in some way not connected to their website, not only would everyone leave their service, they'd probably be screwed anyway, as many countries have 'moral rights' to works which supersede economic rights.

Also I doubt you could sell the photos that uploaded to instagram.
  8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So if one uses google apps (aka "Services") to host email or their website, blog, etc then google gobbles that, too!
  9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes. That's why I don't use google docs or gdrive unless I encrypt separately myself.
  10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Wow. I'm not sure how entirely legal this is. Especially if the image put up is not the owners image, ie, just like napster. If an image is put up to Instagram that the owner of the image did not put up, that a 3rd party put up, what responsibility does Instagram have to verify the copyright? Napster was holding music put up by third parties, but not owned by the third party.

I sure won't use such a website.