1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

instagram and squares

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fransglans, Oct 6, 2014.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I've been on instagram for 2or3 years now (@gustavglans) and I can say that the 1:1 has grown on me and more or less becoming my visual frame, how I see the world.

I think 1:1 is a easy and strong way to frame my photos. very intimate and design wise beautieful. I have also bought four 30*30cm frames at home that I used to print and hang my best stuff for the moment. again 1:1.

I love that olympus have 1:1 as preset in camera. and I often use this when i shoot only raw. as a side question to this. when Im uoloading the images to lightroom, I guess I could get the original 4:3 back again?? I never see it in lightroom...

/gus

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    If you are recording RAW images you should have the full 4:3 frame; JPGs will be recorded 1:1 (or whatever aspect ratio you select in the camera), requiring further cropping to change.

3. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    yes I know that for sure. but I still scratch my head wondering how. I shoot only raw and sometimes set aspect ratio to 1:1. after the upload to lightroom , the file is still square. and when I go into develop and the crop meny and try to change to 4:3, lightroom does a small 4:3 of my already cropped 1:1... is there a setting somewhere that changes this?

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're using a body which was around before Adobe implemented recropping like that (e.g. E-M5), you'll have to hack the EXIF to remove the crop info as Adobe thought it wise to prohibit recropping with said bodies. Newer bodies such as the E-M1 are allowed. Annoying but no other workarounds for LR or CR. OV3 will do it fine though.

5. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thank u. that sounds hitech :)
    so everyone on this forum has either hacked the exif or having a newer body like em1?

im running on em5 and LR5

so. how do I "hack exif: :) ?

6. wjiang

Or they've used a different raw processor other than Adobe. I did it using my own script with ExifTool... will dig up which field does the trick when I get home.

7. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    Anyone knows a way to enable re-croping for Panasonic bodies?

I've tried a bit of Exif Hacking with my GX7 but got nowhere...

I'd like to shoot at 3:2 in JPEG+RAW but have the original 4:3 raw if possible...

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Complain to Adobe, or look at EXIFTool.

Barry

9. wjiang

Does Panasonic always store the original 4:3 RAW? For their multi aspect modes they certainly don't.

10. wjiang

I'm calling ExifTool like this:
    exiftool -AspectRatio=4:3 -AspectFrame=0 0 4608 3456 -m -overwrite_original_in_place -P [FILENAME]

The first two parts restore the original E-M5 4:3 framing. From then on CR/LR should let you freely recrop.

11. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    im sorry, but im a newbie. could u descrube step by step what to do, as if i was retarded:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Before the advent of the likes of 645 and 6x7 in 120 film format, everything was shot in 6x6 square format and cropped to suit. This is really just re-inventing, or rediscovering, the medium format wheel. ;)

13. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    true. and thats good news. 6*6 or 1:1 is a very versatile and powerful format imo

14. wjiang

I'm assuming you use Windows... I also know how to drive Linux but if you're a Mac user I can't help much...

1. Install ExifTool as a command line application (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/install.html), following all the Windows Stand-Alone Executable steps (1-4). Note the Windows 7 compatibility instruction.
    2. Extract this somewhere useful, . It's just the same instructions that I previously posted put into a batch file.
    3. Drag and drop an E-M5 .ORF file on to the batch file to have it's crop information restored.

Warning - don't try it with anything other than an E-M5 RAW, as the EXIF codes or dimensions required for other cameras might be different.

15. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    thanks alot for your help!

16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If the (average) file sizes don't change, then they're full-res, and some variant of the previously posted EXIFTool script should work.

Barry