1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Inspired by Vivian Maier

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by s0nus, Apr 3, 2011.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Earlier today I came across this post about an unknown Chicago street photographer's work resurfacing. Being from Chicago, this perked my interest greatly. I found out that there's an exhibition of Vivian Maier's work at the Chicago Cultural Center, and that today is the last day of the exhibition. I grabbed my camera and hopped on the Blue Line to go check it out.

Anyway, I was intrigued by the square format that the majority of Vivian's shots were in. So, after the show, I set my EPL1 to 1:1, and walked around downtown a bit; below is what I saw. As always, any reactions, comments, criticism, and thoughts are most welcome. (I wish I captured more people and faces, but alas, I haven't yet grown the requisite balls to do it openly and consistently)

View attachment 161010 View attachment 161011 View attachment 161012 View attachment 161013 View attachment 161014 View attachment 161015 View attachment 161016 View attachment 161017 View attachment 161018 View attachment 161019 View attachment 161020 View attachment 161021 View attachment 161022 View attachment 161023 View attachment 161024 View attachment 161025 View attachment 161026 View attachment 161027 View attachment 161028 View attachment 161029

• Like Like x 12
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Loved them, but you're going to be in trouble soon here for the "take a seat" one.

Cheers,

3. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sonus you have just proved a point that square is the right format. I have my Pen set at 6x6 because in my prior life I shot with rolle and Hasellblad and never could get used to any other format.

Really great shots!!

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nicely done. You caught the essence of Maier, which was good photography.

5. Excellent work, I especially liked the 'birds in flight' shot.

6. Younghe

Younghe New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    Really Nice Set

I like them all.

I learned to compose in a square... that was just how it was done.

Thanks for a great post!

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You seem to be comfortable in this format and on the street.
    I'm seeing more you than anyone in your images.
    There's one there that some members might have an issue with but I don't.
    Afterall, it's a word used on public TV.

Good eyes, I'm glad you got inspired from the exhibition.

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like the street artist ones.

9. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Really like the first and last ones best.

When I first got my G2 I put it in 1:1 and that is pretty much its default now. Love it.

BK

10. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    @mauve - Thanks for checking them out! As for the "take a seat", as Streetshooter mentioned, it's a word that's accepted on broadcast TV and has an accepted non-vulgar definition, so it's fine. ;-)

@Bill Gordon - Thank you. I really like the square format in its simplicity and inherent symmetry. I'll definitely be doing more of it!

@drd1135 - Much appreciated! The one shot that was most blatantly inspired by Vivian Maier in terms of the subject was the "Legs" shot. There was a small series of in the show that I saw that focused on body parts other than the head/face that I found interesting. I can't find it online right now, but there was a great shot of man with his head cropped off, but he was holding a poster of some sort with a face depicted on it.

@Luckypenguin - Thanks! I got lucky with that one. I started shooting just the birds on the ground, and lo and behold they started flying on me.

@Younghe - Thank you so much. With my fascinations with old, antique, and even ancient objects, sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong decade, century, or even millennium.

@Streetshooter - Thank you! I definitely need to work on my level of comfort on the street. The 20mm forces me to interact with people, which for me is a bit difficult. It's a skill I really want to develop, especially in the context of travel. I have seen so many beautiful people in my travels that I failed to capture simply because I didn't have the guts to put a camera in their face. I'm learning. I'm interested in how you see me in my images. I recall a fairly recent ImageWorks that I failed to participate in because I couldn't quite wrap my head around the concept at the time ... Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

@LisaO - I had an interesting discussion with him about post-mortem fame that artists sometimes acquire after I told him about the Vivian Maier exhibition. Going back to what I wrote in response to Streetshooter, that was an instance where I simply struck up a conversation and then asked if I could take his picture. He was very receptive to that! Vivian Maier MUST have done the same - some of her shots were simply too intimate and too arranged/posed to have been random chance occurrences of shoving a camera in somebodies face and snapping away.

@BrianK - Thank you. I have a feeling I'll be increasingly in 1:1. :)

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
  12. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I am sorry, I can't see the pictures. :confused:

13. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The original post is a few years old. Go to the links I posted.

14. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I realized that the post was old. I was saying that I am not able to see the Original poster's pictures. But I understand that the OP was from 2011 :smile: