Inspiration????

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
None of the ones I listed are film, I believe most of the ones I listed where shot with my old Leica D-Lux4. Some of the older archives in my only-photos site will have been film, but not many (I didnt stay with film long).

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
This is one I took at Jacobs Tools and I took it for the wife who is addicted to cleaning. Even she said that place was too dirty for her to clean.

LR-1010025.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Full Set of Jacobs here - http://www.only-photos.co.uk/?folder=content/Decay in the UK/Jacobs Manufacturing/LR-1010025.jpg

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
And this one from St. Johns Asylum, if you look at the ceiling closely, the honeycomb was in all the walls and ceilings and was designed to dumb down any "noise" from the Asylum.

LR-1010646.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, its a very eary place thats for sure, in particular the stage when I walked into that great hall you can almost hear the laughter that must have gone on with the only entertainment there was.

Whats incredibly sad is you will see a kids ward, now to me that was fairly sickining.

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
I do feel a duty of care to warn of potential problems when "urbexing".

You must go in with your eyes open so to speak and be prepared for anything, I would NEVER go anywhere alone, as you just dont know what dangers are lurking.

1. The obvious is other people, down and outs, druggies etc.
2. The physical state of a building can be leathal, watch where you step (and where thick soles)
3. Aspestos is a killer! I always have masks and gloves when I go into places like this, and also "bird doings" can also be very very very nasty.

Make sure you take torches, charged mobile phones, first aid etc, and always always let someone know where you are and when to expect back.

In the UK, there are laws about entering places like these, however this is limited to trespass, which if asked to leave - leave. I am sure this board does not condone the breaking of laws!

There is a goldern rule to urbexing, "take nothing by photos, and leave nothing but foot prints". Urbexing is documenting decay - may of the photos you see on my site is the only place you will see them now, as many of the buildings you see no longer exist!.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
All good to see written down, Craig - thank you for this.

I would probably not have thought about the Asbestos (how we here in the states spell it) but I certainly never would go into any place like this alone. Sad to say but one does have to think about all of these things and it's best to be reminded of them, that's for sure.

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
2. The physical state of a building can be leathal, watch where you step (and where thick soles)

Sage advice there. I quote that website:

Unfortunately in December 2004 a young man’s body was discovered after having ‘fallen through a roof’ onto a 60 foot ledge in the works, it is unclear however whether this was a suicide or an accident but several reports I have read seem to suggest the latter.

Here in Japan the genre of abandoned factory/hotel/motel/bus/railway/mine has been done to death, and then flogged, and then flogged some more, and then reflogged. At least one of the major practitioners has written a guidebook to the best sites. "Gunkanjima" (photography-deficient Wikipedia write-up here) is itself an industry within this. The best photographs of Gunkanjima (starting at least half a century ago, with Narahara Ikkō and others workin there when it was still populated) are definitely worth looking at -- I possess two photobooks of the place myself -- but the instant pathos of the later work starts to grate and to remind me of those war photos one used to see that just happened to have a one-legged doll lying atop a pile of rubble. (Was there a company in Hong Kong churning out one-legged dolls to fit in the camera bags of ho-hum war photographers?)

By contrast, this website does it well.

All the same, I think I prefer photos showing some life.

Latest threads

Top Bottom