1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Inside a Camera at 10,000fps - The Slow Mo Guys

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MadMarco, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Very informative!

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    What astounded me is that the speed of the physical shutter itself is the same for the four fastest "shutterspeeds" 1/1000 to 1/8000 second !
    Not intuitive.
    The slit through which light passes to the sensor is narrower for the fastest shutterspeed but the shutter plates move at the same speed for all four.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    This is the basis for flash synch limitations - Flash duration is very short, often as short as 1/50,000th sec. but the shutter has to be entirely open to accept the light over the full surface of the sensor. It drove me crazy when shooting events in the film days and I'd knock the shutter speed dial past the synch speed on my Canon EF. I'd go back and reshoot whatever I could and keep an eagle (paranoid) eye on the dial every couple of shots.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    thx, very interesting. Often we take it for granted, but the complexity and precision of these instruments is astounding...

this. I have no shame admiting I had no idea...

6. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I think that the velocity of the shutter mechanism is the same for all shutter speeds, it's just the duration between the first and the second shutter curtain that determines the exposure.

It didn't even occur to me that the shutter action would form a slit at higher shutter speeds, although it makes sense if you think about it and plays into the hands of CMOS sensors that read out the data line by line. I wonder if the sensor has to synchronise the read-out to the shutter action at higher shutter speeds??? This would make the timing of mechanical and electronic components extremely hairy. I also wonder if this slit action is used on CCD devices that typically transfer the whole image at once, rather than line by line as with CMOS.

Good point about the flash synch limitations, I hadn't thought about this before!

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This is why bulbs were better than strobes. Not the little ones, I mean the big ones. The ones about the size of your fist. The ones that took about 1/2 second to light but then burned for about another full half second. And burned anything you popped them out onto, LOL. They were the perfect light source for a Speed Graphic. Ahh, the days... :biggrin:

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    True, and this is why bulbs were better than strobes. Not the little ones, I mean the big ones. The ones about the size of your fist. The ones that took about 1/2 second to light but then burned for about another full half second. And burned anything you popped them out onto, LOL. They were the perfect light source for a Speed Graphic. Ahh, the days... :biggrin: