Insect macros

orflo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Frank
All of the images have been stacked, the light is natural light only (I noticed many insects don't like flashes/flashlights so I don't use these any more:

2020-07-09 15-50-04 (C,Smoothing1).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ISO 100 1/6 s f3,5

2020-06-23 21-37-14 (A,Radius8,Smoothing1).jpg

ISO 1600 1/15 s f8

2020-05-28 18-37-32 (A,Radius8,Smoothing1) 2.jpg

ISO 100 1/6 s f4

2020-05-20 22-00-36 (A,Radius8,Smoothing1) 1 1.jpg

ISO100 0,2 s f4,5

2020-05-11 17-58-36 (A,Radius8,Smoothing1) 1.jpg

ISO100 1/4 s f4,5

2020-05-19 18-00-05 (A,Radius8,Smoothing1) 1 1 1.jpg

ISO400 1/6 s f2,8

2020-05-15 17-33-18 (A,Radius8,Smoothing1) 2.jpg

ISO 100 0,1s f2,8

2020-05-14 20-34-14 (A,Radius8,Smoothing1) 1.jpg

ISO100 1/8s f2,8

Attachments

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I thought that might of been it. I have never been much of a macro shooter, but the more I see of people combining that lens with focus stacking or bracketing, the more interested I am in picking one up.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
Excellent macros, can't fault them.

Just a shame that you haven't told us what these amazing creatures are.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very nice detail and lighting. Nice and even, did you use any off camera diffuser?
Were they in camera stacked? If they were, hand held or Tripod. One more what "F" stop? as I cant see the data below the photos
Still trying to find an bug to try hand held stacking with my EM1.3, and these have given me some inspiration

doady

Mu-43 Regular
I love the last photo. The size and position of the water droplets, the soft lighting, the bluish/purplish insect on green background, insect and frame both vertically oriented, I could go on. Just beautiful in many ways.

orflo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Frank
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Excellent macros, can't fault them.

Just a shame that you haven't told us what these amazing creatures are.
Sorry about that, I don't know the names, just the larvae of a ladybug and the scorpion fly (5 and 6)...Thank you!

Very nice detail and lighting. Nice and even, did you use any off camera diffuser?
Were they in camera stacked? If they were, hand held or Tripod. One more what "F" stop? as I cant see the data below the photos
Still trying to find an bug to try hand held stacking with my EM1.3, and these have given me some inspiration
No diffuser was used, and they are not stacked in camera, the camera stacking function can only handle up to 15 images and these are mostly 30-50 pictures, stacked in helicon focus pro. So the camera option was 'focus bracketing'. Because of the longer time needed to take these different bracketed pictures I use a tripod, with a remote control to reduce shaking. The images have been shot early in the morning, so the light is less harsh and the insects are still cold and don't move around too much. In stronger light it could be possible to take some held held stacks, especially if the amount of images is reduced. Another ' early morning advantage ' (at least over here) is the lack of wind, the wind normally comes about one hour after sunrise. I included the exif under the pictures, didn't realise it couldn't be seen..Thanks!
I love the last photo. The size and position of the water droplets, the soft lighting, the bluish/purplish insect on green background, insect and frame both vertically oriented, I could go on. Just beautiful in many ways.
Thanks for the nice comment!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I included the exif under the pictures, didn't realise it couldn't be seen..Thanks!
Thanks for the nice comment!
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry I worded my post incorrectly, I could not see the subscriber info the forum adds if you are a subscriber. But I was really after stacking info, but I worded it very poorly.
Looks like you are lucky with a range of insects to photograph.
Where I am from the dry conditions mean very little insects this year especially after the bush fires last year.

orflo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Frank
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry I worded my post incorrectly, I could not see the subscriber info the forum adds if you are a subscriber. But I was really after stacking info, but I worded it very poorly.
Looks like you are lucky with a range of insects to photograph.
Where I am from the dry conditions mean very little insects this year especially after the bush fires last year.
And I'm always jealous when I see the colourful butterflies, dragonflies or whatever on other's people's posts :rolleyes-38: The pictures were all made in the garden over here, there's a big diversity of plants and some pieces are also left to go wild, so that attracts other diversity, including insects.
Yeah, these bush fires seem to have been devastating, I hope that everything will find a new and good balance soon

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom