1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Initial tests of Mitakon 25 0.95 from a Chinese blog

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jyc860923, Sep 15, 2015.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    here http://blog.pchome.net/article/807122.html

Let me make a brief translation.

This is not a review, and the sample lens doesn't have a filter thread yet, which will probably be added on production model.

This lens balances well on camera bodies like the Panasonic G7 without front heavy despite its full metal construction. The front element's coating reflects green cast (no mention of anti-flare capability); both the focus and stepless aperture rings are well damped, though they could be better off more separated.

With the help of huge aperture and focus peaking on the G7, the combo managed to get good sharp low light shots in the Shanghai Museum of Natural History.

At the wide open aperture it seems to be able to deliver quite sharp focus, without any sign of colour shifting issue often found on FF 50mm lenses, OOF areas are well rendered as well however some double lining can be found with busier backgrounds. Barrel distortions are there but the author suggests it's barely an issue on a lens like this for him when he can 1) keep the ISO low and still have sufficient shutter speeds and 2), get the beautiful bokeh which is comparable to a 50mm f/2 lens on a FF.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hmm, light gathering is great and all, but the bokeh in those shots actually looks kind of ugly and distracting to my eye.

3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for the summary and link.

I wish they had commented on the light transmission in comparison to some other lenses too.

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Thanks for the link.
    My suspicion all along is that it vignettes a ton, given that every other C-mount f/0.95 lens I've had (2) or studied does this, and I wouldn't be surprised if this new lens is based on one of those. It looks like that suspicion is confirmed; notice the corners are cropped out of many images.

I'm not saying it's a deal-breaker, because otherwise it looks good, and the small size is definitely welcome. But I'm going to wait for a proper review before I consider plunking down my money.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks for the translation :thumbup:

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    thanks everyone, I'll update when a formal review becomes available.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All the samples I've seen look great to me. Very encouraged by how little longitudinal CA I'm seeing.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Remember it's a $400 f0.95 lens when you put your hypercritical goggles on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's not the nicest bokeh, to be sure, but I think it's also difficult lighting conditions (i.e. dark foregrounds and lit backgrounds) and I'm not sure how much attention was paid to minimizing busy backgrounds.

How do you know that the corners are cropped out? They all look like downressed OOC 4:3 images to me? In any case, there is definitely some strong vignetting in the corners, but it's not like it's a truncated image circle or anything. Try and find me an f0.95 lens that doesn't vignette heavily. Even an f1.2 lens...

In any case, I remain cautiously optimistic, and there certainly weren't any dealbreakers presented here in this useful mini-review.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Assuming that the museum pictures were all shot wide open, this lens looks very promising particularly since it is the same price as the Olympus 25mm. The small size is amazing.

11. tkbslc

Not only same MSRP, it is the same length! (40mm vs 44mm)

One thing that bugs me as primarily a photographer is the clickless aperture. Harder to shoot by feel and in manual mode when you don't know what f stop you are switching to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I am hoping that lens, like others, can be clicked or declicked. I would also prefer that not be clickless when in still mode.

If this lens is as we hope, I am hoping that they will add at least some of the following fl's: 12, 14, 17.5 & 42.5/45 and make it a whole series.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  13. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Well, they already made a 35/0.95 that by all accounts is not a great lens. They have a 24/1.7 that no one bought (because why would you?) a 42.5/1.2 that at $399 offered too little advantage compared to the Panasonic and Olympus 45/1.7-1.8 pair. This 25/f0.95 finally seems like a good combination of capability, size, and price, so the interest it's stirring up must be promising for them. I don't think anyone cared much about their previous offerings for M4/3 at all.

Or do you mean you want them to make a 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and...45mm? I'm a bit confused since it seems like you're mixing up equivalent focal lengths in that series.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. tkbslc

Yeah, I was a bit confused on that wish list of focal lengths, too.

They already did the 42.5mm f1.2, so they have 50 and 85mm equiv now just for m4/3. If they made a 12 or 14mm f1.2, I think we'd be set!

Really the only lens I need is a wide prime, so I'm still hoping one of the niche players like Mitakon or Samyang can fill that for me if Olympus and Panasonic will not. A 9mm f2.0 that is about this size would be perfect for me!

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Ooops, yes I did mix up equivalent focal lengths. Thanks for the catch, I have corrected my post.

16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Has anyone pre-ordered the 25mm? I am seriously thinking about it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I was thinking about your comment in the other thread about wide primes...

I know a lot of people have been asking for them, and I agree that it's really the only gap in the entire M4/3 line-up that shows little sign of being filled. But...

9mm/f2 is pretty aggressive. I don't think any of the "camera brand" manufacturers has ever made a non-fisheye prime wider than 20 or 21mm. They always use zooms, which have the disadvantage of being larger, but wide angles are definitely one of those situations where you can't "zoom with your feet." (I am also convinced that "zoom with your feet" is a statement that came into vogue when it was impossible to get a lens wider than 35mm eq. and longer than 90mm, but I digress...)

I was thinking that a compact 10mm/f2.8 might be a reasonable option for someone to make. I find that even 11mm is pretty "whoa" in terms of field of view. The Olympus 9-18 is also super light and compact (kit lens size @ just 155g), so unless you're really constrained by it's slow speed, I don't see a ton of real-world demand for a wider prime, as much fun as it would be to have one.

A 9mm/f2 would be great for astrophotography if you could keep coma in check, or indoor photography if distortions could be well controlled. But now you're looking at something that is likely bigger and pricier than many people would be willing to go for.

19. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I want to see some reports from the Panasonic 25/1.7 first. It's obviously not 0.95, but it's cheap and likely a solid performer. But I also have my eyes on this Mitakon for sure.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so some more samples in varied conditions would be super useful. I want to see how this lens does with more environmental portraits where the lighting isn't so terrible and the backgrounds are a bit farther away. Those are really the only kinds of shots that could sell me on a larger sensor system, so if I can have my cake and eat it, too, that would be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    There is at least one: Canon EF 14 mm f/2.8 (very expensive, but it exists).