Initial Review RRS L Plates for Olympus OM-D E-M1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mcasan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The wife and have shot landscape and wildlife for years with Canon DSLRs. On all of our DSLRs we had put L plates that follow the Acra Swiss de-facto plate standard. The L plate provides you with a traditional horizontal plate for the bottom of your camera to sit in the clamp on top of your bullhead. Additionally rhe L plate also has a portion that goes vertically up the left side (seen from the back) of the camera body. This vertical portion can be put into the bullhead’s clamp when you wish to shoot vertically (portrait orientation). The advantages of this approach are that you keep the camera and lens weight centered over the bullhead and that camera remains at the same basic height from the ground.

The clamps, plates, and ballheads we had been using came from the Really Right Stuff (RRS) company in San Luis Obispo, California USA. We have been very pleased with their products for our DSLRs. So when it was time to migrate to our Olympus E-M1 bodies we turned again to RRS. The L plates for E-M1 arrived today. The plats are in two pieces that are jointed by a mortise and tension all machined in block aluminum. A bolt goes through the middle of the joint to secure the vertical part of the plate to the main horizontal plate. You can order just the bottom plate if you do not want an L plate.

The fit and finish in the plates is what we have come to expect from an RRS product. The plates fit nicely into our RRS Quick Release clamps in both landscape (horizontal) and portrait (vertical) orientations. The body is held rock solid. The bottom plate has a window so that you can access the battery compartment without removing the bottom plate. The plate also and a slot on the bottom right end of the plate. That slot could support the installation of a hand strap.

My only concern with the L plate is the bolt that connect the two halve could become loss over time. RRS does provide an wrench to tighten the bolt. Also I coult have put a drop of Loctite on the end of the bolt before tightening the bolt. But so far, so good.

RRS plates for the Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, and E-M10 bodies:
    E-M1 http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.3348/.f
    E-M5 http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.3349/.f
    E-M10 http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/OM-D-E-M10

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Thanks Ray. Your review was focused on the BOEM1: Plate for OM-D E-M1. The plate by itself is for horizontal mounting of a E-M1 in an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp. I am referring to the BOEM1-L Set: L-plate for OM-D E-M1. This package adds the vertically oriented plate that makes the pair of plates into an "L" plate set.

Please note the set is designed to be attached to the bottom of the E-M1, not to the bottom of the Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip. So far, RRS has not made an set of plates for use with the HLD-7 Battery Grip.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2239/.f

Attached Files:

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've used the L-plate set from RRS on several cameras, most recently on my E-M1 and E-M5. The M5 had the grip as well. I've never had a problem with the bolts coming loose, either those connecting the components nor the one which goes into the tripod socket in the camera.

On the E-M5, the grip was very comfortable and really make the camera feel much more stable in my hand, similar to a DSLR.

On the E-M1, I find the added bit of thickness from the bottom plate makes a surprisingly positive change in the grip - my pinky now has a place to rest, where before it fell of the bottom of the camera.

As A/S plates, they just work. And as mcasan said, the design and manufacture is top-notch. I strongly recommend them for anyone doing a significant amount of tripod work.

5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I'm also worried about losing the bolt. I don't want to leave the L piece on all the time because it blocks the connector port. I remember someone said the port can still be accessed, but I'm afraid I'll break the cover.

About a hand strap, I added this Bosstrap hand band through the lug and slot. http://www.bosstrap.com/ultralighthandband.aspx

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I understand all of that, I was just showing what I did for the camera strap, which could be implemented for the bracket with the L plate attached. The BOEM-1 is designed for the E-M1 without the Olympus grip, it just doesn't come with the L plate, but can be purchased separately.