1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Initial impressions - EP5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I just replaced my EM5 with the EP5 and am very happy so far. (Before someone asks why I would do that. I replaced my EP3 with the EM5 but not for the EVF, for the other improvements. Only used the EVF, even on the EM5, when I used manual focusing lenses, so I don't miss it being built in.)

The camera feels well built. All the buttons/knobs are in comfortable places and feel very good. (Never liked the rubbery feel of some of the EM5 buttons, especially the two right near the top.) Between the front grip and the great thumb rest, the camera felt very comfortable - though the largest/heaviest lens I tried so far is the 12-50.

Still getting used to the button setup - deciding what settings I like for what buttons. Do wish that the toggle switch had more options for controlling settings - perhaps in the next firmware update - but it is nice to have anyway. Do not feel - like has been mentioned - that the four-way switch is too small. Have not had any problems with it yet.

AF and IBIS seems as good, if not slightly quicker, than the EM5. Have played with the smaller AF points - not really important for me, but will definitely be for people who shoot a lot of macro shots. Have not done any direct comparisons between the EM5 and EP5 shots with regards to IQ and noise control, but most of my EM5 shots were RAW and nothing, aside from Viewer 3, supports the EP5 RAWs yet. (Come on Apple!!!)

Finally got the Wifi set up with my iPhone. (Probably should have downloaded the manual and read it first.) Lots of fun - though I do wish that just touching the rear LCD did not disable it. (Perhaps there is a setting that I missed.) Very cool using the iPhone as a viewfinder. And nice, that you don't have to actually change the camera to iAUTO yourself (unfortunately the only mode that the iPhone remote works with). But you can shoot RAW+JPEG, so you will get a RAW file in addition to the iAUTO one. Did some transfers to my iPhone and it worked fine. Thought you could only import a reduced size file, but that is only the default. I guess because it is quicker and most people doing this transfer want the photos on their device to email, Facebook, etc, so it makes sense. Also nice that the app will do some basic edits, including adding Art Filters even to photos that are already on your device.

Very impressed with the VF4 - the view through it is spectacular. Don't even really need the focus peaking, the VF4 is that good. Though it is nice to have the focus peeking. Only suggestion for an update is that if you mount a non-AF lens (meaning non-m4/3 lens) the camera should be smart enough to turn on FP as soon as you switch to manual focusing. You still need to enable it by setting up a button to enable it.
    Funny thing - I keep reaching for the lower right hand corner to turn on the camera because that is where the switch was on my EM5.

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them. (Perhaps I will get some pics posted later on.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    When I was using ASP, I had a similar problem in that it doesn't support the EPL5, but it does support the EM5. Given that the sensor is near identical, I used Exiftool to change the model name in the OVF files to "E-M5" and it worked fine. Might be worth trying with the EP5 files until your favourite raw processor is supported.

3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Paul. Thanks for the suggestion (I think). I did download the program and tried to understand how it worked but.....gave up trying to figure it out. :confused:
    Guess I will just wait.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - it's not the easiest thing to use. Just unzip the download and rename the exe within it to exiftool.exe (for a complicated reason it's called exiftool(-k).exe in the zip). Then run exiftool from the DOS command prompt like this:

exiftool -model=E-M5 PL500837.ORF​

Obviously, replace the filename PL500837.ORF with your own filename. After this command has run, you'll find two files:

PL500837.ORF
    PL500837.ORF_original​

The one called _original is (surprise, surprise) the original file. The other is the updated version with the model name changed to E-M5.

Hope this helps.

5. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    How do you find the handling of the Pen with the 12-50mm, compared to the OMD handling?

6. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    My original thoughts was to sell the 12-50 and just keep my 14-42, figuring it would feel more comfortable with the Pen body vs the EM5, but I used it a bit today and it handled fine. I forget that even though it is a bigger lens, it is not that heavy (like some of my older Olympus Zuiko lenses), and it felt very comfortable. So I will hang onto it for a bit more - hoping that Olympus comes out with the rumored 12-60 or 14-54 version for m4/3. THEN I will sell it. (Probably keep the 14-42 for when I want a small, walk-around zoom though.)

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Swandy... thanks for the initial user feedback. My E-P5/17/VF-4 kit hasn't arrived yet.

The E-M5 has been my main body for over a year or so, now. I like it and it has performed well for me, but I'm not goo-goo over it.

I recently picked up an E-PL5 and have liked it for the brief time I've used it, but reading of the IBIS issues others are having with it, I'm tempted to let it go back and not even mess with it any more.

I'm hoping I like the E-P5 as much as the E-M5, in which case, the E-M5 may become my back-up body until such time as the GX2 or E-M6 comes along and then, things get all shaken up yet again!

I do like to use the EVF quite a bit of the time. Do you find the EV-4 to be undesirably large or cumbersome? That might be my only concern with the add-on EVF, vs. one that is built-in.

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Nice little initial review...pretty much what I thought of it when it came out. I love my viewfinders (be they EVF or OVF), so for me that right there was the deal-breaker. However...for someone who doesn't use VFs very often, the EP5 sounds like an excellent choice.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks for the report. A few questions:

1) In image review (i.e. immediately after capturing the image), can you magnify the image?
    2) Can you configure it to automatically use the EVF for image review and menu settings, or will it always display first on the rear LCD?
    3) How tall and how deep is the camera + VF-4 combination?

10. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Thanks for your feedback Swandy.
    I received the E-P5 as well but haven't find time to use it yet.
    The first feeling that I had was the great improvement with all the buttons and dials, the toggle switch is a clever idea in my opinion, very comfortable to use. The really improved the ergonomic from the previous pen.

11. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    When I saw the first images of it that were posted, my reaction was "OH MY G-D!!! That thing is HUGE!!!"
    To be honest, it really does not feel that way in use. Does it make the camera much larger - sure. But I can remove it when I want something smaller and to be honest I am very happy composing with the screen. Even find that my manual focusing - considering the excellence of the screen and the added focus peaking - might make me use the VF4 even less than I planned.

12. Falconhg

Falconhg New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2013
    the kits are not available in Belgium!, but how is lcd viewable in bright sunlight?

i could get the body only, but wondering if could read the screen in Spain, where the light is very hard!

13. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I am not in Spain and have not really tested it fully outdoors, but from the time I used it on my deck and inside our living room near some very large and bright glass doors to the deck I had no issues composing or focusing using the screen. Never felt I had to go get the EVF.

14. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Question about color tone...

I have seen a couple of other early E-P5 owners suggest that Olympus may have toned down the color a tiny bit (away from OMD tones) making the standard output somewhat similar to a Fuji color profile. Any comments on this ?

Dan

15. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have not done any real direct comparisons - primarily because most of my recent EM5 shots were RAW and processed in Aperture and until Apple updates their RAW stuff, I have been basically using the JPEGs from the EP5 (I really don't like Viewer, though I have done some quick RAW conversions out of desperation) - and I don't see it. The colors and IQ seem very close, if not identical, to what I saw out of the EM5. Again, I don't have a lot of EM5 JPEGs to go by and the Aperture conversion of Olympus ORF files tend to be a bit more subtle than Olympus' own in camera JPEG colors.

16. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    A couple hundred frames in, I don't think the colors are toned down at all. RAW files seem very similar to the EM-5s. I shot both bodies yesterday side by side and honestly don't see much detail difference. EP-5 has lots of great DR, maybe I just nailed exposure well but I swear I almost have some more latitude there (which is already great 30k frames through the EM-5). I'll have a better idea later this weekend as I'm shooting some jpegs too to use for mobile app updating.

17. gregorywe

gregorywe Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Do you feel like the E-P5 is more ergonomic than the E-P3? Is the default grip on the E-P5 enough? I found the MCG-2 on the E-P3 to be excellent

18. ccplady

ccplady Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Orlando. FL
    Amy
    After help from the forum to figure out how the wireless works with the E-P5, I can tell you I'm very happy exchanging my E-M5 for this one. It took me a bit to get the buttons set up how I like, but afterwards, I'm pleased. No regrets. I haven't seen any difference in color between the two, and I'm enjoying the built-in flash and smaller form factor. Love the wireless, even though it's only iAuto.

Amy K.

19. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Looks like early adopters are happy.

Congratulations on how things are going with your E-P5! I spoke with a B&H rep earlier today to see if there was any chance of even a vague ETA. He was very hesitant to offer any kind of a possible ship date for my order. He said that they have no idea when their next Olympus E-P5 shipment will even be on it's way to their warehouse..
    Dan

20. ccplady

ccplady Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Orlando. FL
    Amy
    If you have a local camera shop, call them. With both my OM-D purchase and this one I had preordered - B&H for the former, and Olympus for the latter. In both instances, my local camera store had one for me within about two weeks of telling them I wanted to buy.