1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Initial Impressions - EM-10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Just picked up my new EM-10 (Silver) from Adorama this afternoon and some initial impressions.

Decided not to read the manual yet - just went through my basic setup that I have used on my previous Olympus m4/3 cameras. (This replaces my EP-5 if anyone cares.)

Body build seems very nice and sturdy for the bottom of the OMD line. The feel seems very close to what I remember of the EM5 when I had it. Like what they did with the dials and buttons (really disliked those mushy buttons on the EM5). I can see why there have been comments that the two dials move fairly easily - they do, but it has not bothered me yet. I originally replaced my EM5 with the EP5 because I liked that body style (and slightly smaller size) better. But after using the Stylus 1 (which replaced my XZ-2) for a few weeks, I discovered that I did miss the EVF - so hence the EM-10. The EVF is supposedly the same one on the EM5 (as far as size/resolution) but it seems clearer and I do like the way it adjusts to ambient lighting.

The AF system will take a bit of getting used to. I love the idea of all those AF spots - certainly not used to it - but I do like knowing where the camera is focusing. And now the center spot - even without turning the "small" AF spots - is very small. I tried using the 9 center spots, but went back to using the single spot. The AF speed is great. Tried it on the 14-42IIR, the 40-150 (latest version) and the Panasonic 14mm. On the 14-42 the AF was almost instantaneous in decent to good light. And had no issues in low light. The 14mm was a bit slower, but not by much. The 40-150 did lag behind both of them a bit - but then it always did. I do have the new 14-42EZ pancake on order and interested to see how that compares in AF and IQ to the 14-42IIR. Tried the focus peaking on a few of the lenses (really wish they would have put that into the Stylus 1 instead of the magnified view) and it is great.

Tried the HDR mode - nice to have it automated, though I do have to pay attention that when you do it indoors (bit cold out) the slow exposures are slow because from what I see the ISO is locked at 200. Have to check if that can be changed.

Tried some test shots up to ISO 25600 (yeah right) and have only been shooting JPEG so far as I really don't like Olympus Viewer. And with Noise Filter OFF, the images are very good up to and including 3200. But I am not normally a pixel peeper and a little noise does not bother me. Your mileage may vary.

That's it for now. So far very impressed with the camera.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Thanks for the comments. Your dog looks impressed:laugh1:

• Like Like x 2
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the hands-on review. I now want one more than ever!

4. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Thanks for the review.

What's the difference btw focus peaking and magnify view?

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Magnify view zooms into the image so you can focus easier. Focus peaking puts a highlight around the edges of items that are in focus. I have used both and find focus peaking so much better and quicker. The magnified view is especially hard to use with a long lens or when you are super close to your subject.

6. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    You can't tell that that is his EXCITED look??? :wink:

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Humans think the eyes are the mirror of the soul. For dogs it's probably the nose. So, I think you nailed the critical focus. The EM5 is a very nice camera and I can imagine the EM10 has certain refinements on the original.

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I do know that I definitely get more photos of Maxie with his nose in focus rather than his eyes. (Perhaps it's all the hair??)
    I had the EM5 (sold it for the EP5 - primarily because I liked that style and the mushy buttons on the EM5 bothered me) and while a lot of the improvements are through software (better refresh rate on the EVF, focus peaking, newer processor, in-camera HDR, etc.) I like the changes in the wheels (bit larger, though a bit easier to turn), definitely better buttons, the pop-up flash (I do use it - mainly for fill flash) moved the position of the F1/Play button from where they were. As you said "refinements" - but nice refinements none the less. So far very happy.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting to read a practical, hands-on evaluation. I don't need an EVF, so I'll still dream of an E-P5. :biggrin:

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks for the review, I have an E-M10 arriving from B&H tomorrow. I have also pre-ordered the pancake zoom.

11. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    That was my opinion - I always liked the look and handling of the Pens (and the reason I went back to the EP5 from the EM5). But after having the Stylus 1 for a few weeks (it replaced my XZ-2), I decided that I really liked using the EVF more often. Before I only used it when I was playing with a few lenses that needed manual focusing. So I decided to sell the EP5 (a great camera) and get the EM-10. Only time will tell, but so far I am very happy.

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    An EVF is essential for me, I have taken my last picture blind because I can't see the screen in bright conditions.

13. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Any comments about the 3 axis vs 5 axis?

14. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have not seen any significant difference between the 5-Axis (when I had the EP5 and the EM5) and the 3-Axis version on the EM10. I will say that their implementation of the 3-Axis is much better than the older Pens with the "normal" 2-Axis.
    I have tried doing some low-light, long shutter speed shots (nothing scientific, just playing) and so far I am very satisfied. Don't think I will miss the difference.
    There is a website MirrorLessons who has been testing the EM10, even did a video showing how good the 3-Axis is for video. I believe he also started a thread here with his impressions of the EM10 also.

15. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    [video=youtube;9o9YyMUYUSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o9YyMUYUSU[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  16. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Wow. Very impressive results on that video.

17. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Very interesting first impressions, Swandy. :)

I think that the mushy buttons on the E-M5 are caused by the weatherproofing (all the rubber gaskets, etc), but I could be wrong.

Concerning the new EZ lens, can you tell me if the older 14-42IIR "collapses" at all. I have read some descriptions that it is also a "collapsible" lens, but that the newer EZ one is even more so. But from all the pictures I have seen of the 14-42IIR, it looks like a normal lens (that doesn't collapse at all). I am almost surely going to be buying an E-M10 soon and would like to know such info.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've read this in many places. It also makes sense since why else would the EM5 among all the Oly bodies have mushy buttons. I hear the EM1 is better.

19. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For a number of reasons, gaskets are not used for sealing the buttons. Instead, a molded sheet of a rubbery material is used; just like a TV remote control. The squishy rubber membrane gives a mushy feel to the buttons. I have an E-M1 and it's only a bit better than the E-M5; there is no clear, crisp tactile feedback on the buttons.

If I didn't already have an E-M5, that I kept as a second camera to the E-M1, I would buy an E-M10.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Its nice to see people recognizing that just because a camera isn't considered top of the line it may still very well be well suited for advanced amateur and even semi-pro use. When I initially posted that I was interested in this camera there seemed to be a lot of negativity surrounding it and touting the superiority of the E-M5 (which honestly I just don't see) In many ways I think the E-M10 could be the better camera for a large number of users. While I've always applauded Fuji for their commitment to improve on their older cameras through continued firmware updates long after the replacement model has been released, I similarly applaud Olympus for not withholding the implementation of features in their lower end cameras just to ensure that their higher priced models remain at a distinct advantage. It may not always be the smartest move from a business standpoint, but as a consumer I appreciate it. Its why I purchased an E-PL1 rather than an E-P1 or E-P2 and now why I'm considering an E-M10 over an E-M5. The lower priced camera simply appears to offer vastly similar performance and features to the more expensive models and in some meaningful ways, even manages to eclipse it. (Obviously I'm comparing based on new and not used prices and based on what features are important to me)

• Like Like x 1