Infrared with E-M10

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by exakta, Jul 1, 2015.

1. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    How well does the E-M10 sensor (unmodified) work for infrared shooting?

Since IR filters come in different wavelengths, what wavelength seems to work best with the E-M10?
  2. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Although most digital Cameras do allow some IR through, the built in filter blocks most of it so whats left takes a long time to expose and then the results don't do Infrared Justice.

filters come in different values with the lower value letting more light through, the three common values are 700ish, 800ish and 900ish.

700 for dull days, 800 for average days and 900 for bright days, but for an unmodified digital camera even on a on a bright day I would suggest to 700ish as a starting point.

remember you will need to use a small aperture to give enough DOF to cover the focus inaccuracies of IR focusing at a different point to Visible light thus giving the need for very long exposures with the inherent noise increase that long exposures give.

Even after all that the results don't look like what we all see as IR photography and needs a lot of work.

One last tip, once the filter is on do a custom white balance on a patch of brightly lit grass.
  3. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Thx, just what I wanted to know.
  4. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    I have an EM10 and have used it for IR photography then used GIMP to do post processing. I used a 720nm filter on 14-42 kit lens and reckon it did a pretty good job. on earth do people attach images to posts here using Tapatalk?

...ok, switched to the website and still not obvious how to add photos!

...bloody hell, it's hard to upload photos these days - flickr has updated their API and i can no longer upload via Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Let's see if linking this to the (ended up using the web interface) flickr does the trick...

[​IMG]Infrared 720nm Processed by Agnieszka, on Flickr

[​IMG]Infrared 720nm Pre PP by Agnieszka, on Flickr

[​IMG]Infrared 720nm - Reference image by Agnieszka, on Flickr
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015