1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Infrared Train Yard, 630nm E-PL1

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mark Hilliard, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Here are a couple of new Infrared images that I took today using the Olympus E-PL1, the new micro 4/3 14-150mm lens and a B+W 091 630nm IR filter. I am going to show you both the Faux processed as well as the B&W processed. Shooting took place mid afternoon with high bright sun, but off in the distance were dark stormy clouds! Please tell me which you prefer and why! (I am trying to understand why people like certain images) Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I like the B&W ones. The faux coloring looks, well, faux. The B&W ones are stunning.

3. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I agree.

I like the B&W images because they remind me of the look of old processing techniques, like daguerreotype.

And in wine terms they seem to have more "full bodied" :)

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Another vote for B&W... how do you do your processing for the colour? are there alternative colour profiles you could try?

Cheers

Brian

5. Claudiobass

Claudiobass New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2010
    The black and white

6. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    The colour ones lack the deep blacks of the B&W, to my eyes this is most noticable on the "train carriage" ones.

Of the "MS" pair, I actually prefer the IR. I really like the palette of reds and orange tones.
    The sky looks 'better' (whatever that is) to me too.

I don't know anything at all about IR photography, what is the workflow?

7. Arctic Photog

Arctic Photog Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    I usually prefer the B&W images... however I'm drawn to the first image of the train car. Excellent work.

8. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

not to be negative but I like both colour and B&W

9. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I prefer the B&W in the upper right. The color one just seems too unnatural. Nice composition and tones.

10. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    Both excellent - I prefer the B&W version of the caboose (Guards Van surely!!), but the colour one of the train car

Nice shots

11. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Both of the B+W's, there is an extra sense of drama.

Barrie

12. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    There is a description in the BLOG link below! Thanks

13. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Believe it or not I actually have a Faux workflow post on the blog link below!

14. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    That last time I used false color processing for Infrared bands, it was in FORTRAN. Combined Mid-Wave and Longwave from a custom Infrared sensor, and various color bands from LANDSAT 4. Some of the sensors produced 7 and more bands of data, and often bands were combined using a function such as (band 1/band 2), correlation, or other. and then mapped to Red, Green, and Blue. No Photoshop, this was all in the 1980s.

I prefer the colors captured by the camera, RAW format. It looks like what I expect in Infrared Ektachrome. The false color processing makes the images look like visible-band in the Fall. What I expect in October in Virginia.

15. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Mark, congratulations on your blog - a very interesting read throughout! :2thumbs:

Thanks for sharing - it's great having an IR enthusiast around here :friends:

Cheers

Brian

16. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I guess I'm the odd one, I like #'s 1 and 4. The starkness of the black and white car against the colors of the leaves has a very serene and peaceful feel. Of the two close ups, the black and white is more nostalgic and appeals to me for that reason.

17. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    You are quite correct about Faux=Fall. I also enjoy some of the raw images but that is dependent upon to specific IR filter installed. For me that is 630nm and 720nm. They both produce wonderful bronze toned images. I actually discussed this very topic last week in my blog! I am really a B&W purest but there is something compelling about some of the Faux imases in the Goldie (570nm to 630nm range) that excite me.

18. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks! It is my aim to post at least every other day on the blog something educational. It is a lot of fun. I attempted to do this on my main IR site but the software was just to cumbersome.

19. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Mark,

Unlike most, I love the colour images and think they are stunning. Beautifully sharp and just the right amount of contrast for me.

Attached is an effort on my old Canon powershot with R72 filter (and one second exposure)!

Nick

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Hey Mark,

Very nice pics. I actually like both B&W as well as Color version of top shot very much. Which I like most depends on my "mood" / the situation you want to use it for. In one livingroom the B&W is best in another the Color. B&W is a safe choice (e.g. for my parents), but Color one is more special too me (I would go for this one in my living room) - to my opinion it shows more, like you created an additional dimension, really nice. I think the dead-end rail is great and close to full coverage composition works well for this object too. Great!!!

One question, did you take these shots with filter on top of lens or with camera of which the sensor has been adapted for IR applications?
    - I think it is fun to make series with vs without filter (but personally won't be able to afford an additional camera only for IR)