Infrared photography - post your own!

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
Converted G1 - 14/2.5

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
During the week I went to Cambridge to meet with some guys from another forum. I took my MFT bag with me & about half of what I shot was IR (#25A filter on a full spectrum converted body)
Here's a small selection:

NoSeconds

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Troy
Had to send the GM1 back to the doctor’s because of the triangle shaped light leak that was appearing in every frame. They reckon it’s most likely coming from the electronic IR shutter monitor and will have to build a screen around it to mask it from the sensor...

As shot from camera...

Majorly pissed off but I’ve had time to play with Luminar to get my post processing and channel swapping dialled in...

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Winter isn't the ideal time for IR but I decided to give it a go on Sunday anyway (all shot via a 720nm filter):

A few cactus blooms in Infrared. Apache Junction, AZ.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Over the winter 2020 I had a PenF converted by LifePixel to 590nm so I could enjoy some crazy color after a rather steep learning curve and I’m still learning seems it’s so easy to over expose and limited time of day to shoot in the summer hopefully with nice white puffy clouds we’ll here is a bit I shot no clouds at Longwood Gardens

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Something else I learned is all of my class glass due to infared have “hotspots” in the center of the image. After speaking with some infared shooters that have been around infared suggested I use lenses that are of lesser quality so I now have an Olympus 14-43 zoom lens, no hotspots below f11. That said that’s not to say this isn’t a good lens it is it’s just not one of Olympus pro series lenses

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Had to send the GM1 back to the doctor’s because of the triangle shaped light leak that was appearing in every frame. They reckon it’s most likely coming from the electronic IR shutter monitor and will have to build a screen around it to mask it from the sensor...

As shot from camera...

View attachment 779337

View attachment 779338

Majorly pissed off but I’ve had time to play with Luminar to get my post processing and channel swapping dialled in...
That looks like a hotspot caused by the lens that’s why I don’t use my Olympus pro lenses
Hope this helps

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
That looks like a hotspot caused by the lens that’s why I don’t use my Olympus pro lenses
Hope this helps
It doesn't look quite like a lens hotspot to me. Lens caused ones tend to be mostly in the center of the image, while this one is strongest at the top. Otherwise the appearance is indeed similar.

My experience with IR has also shown that the best results are frequently from lenses less highly optimized for visual use. Which happens to suit my pile of budget lenses well :)

I've hear of other cameras that use IR systems to monitor shutters, which cause issues on conversion. IIRC my A7ii has something like this that the conversion service I used had found a work around for. Fortunately nothing like that with my full spectrum GF2.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Something else I learned is all of my class glass due to infared have “hotspots” in the center of the image. After speaking with some infared shooters that have been around infared suggested I use lenses that are of lesser quality so I now have an Olympus 14-43 zoom lens, no hotspots below f11. That said that’s not to say this isn’t a good lens it is it’s just not one of Olympus pro series lenses
I have found this to be mostly true in my own limited experience. I bough the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 as it was reported to not have hot spots and I have found this to be true. One was just sold the other day here for something like $85 so a cheap one to search for to shoot IR and it is tiny, almost body cap sized. On the other hand, when I got my 12-100 PRO and gave it a try on my IR camera, terrible hotspots.

A few I can recall off hand are: My old 4/3rds Sigma 30/1.4 gave me pretty bad hot spots. My 45/1.8 does as well but only sometimes (I need to experiment with it more to see). I also never really had any issues with my old 4/3rds 12-60 SWD nor the non-SWD 50-200 and looking through my IR shots both the 17 & 25 f1.8 seemed to have behaved themselves.

Last edited:

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I have found this to be mostly true in my old limited experience. I bough the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 as it was reported to not have hot spots and I have found this to be true. One was just sold the other day here for something like $85 so a cheap one to search for to shoot IR and it is tiny, almost body cap sized. On the other hand, when I got my 12-100 PRO and gave it a try on my IR camera, terrible hotspots.

A few I can recall off hand are: My old 4/3rds Sigma 30/1.4 gave me pretty bad hot spots. My 45/1.8 does as well but only sometimes (I need to experiment with it more to see). I also never really had any issues with my old 4/3rds 12-60 SWD nor the non-SWD 50-200 and looking through my IR shots both the 17 & 25 f1.8 seemed to have behaved themselves.
I never had any issues with my Oly 17/2.8, and my Panasonic 14-42 kit lens has always been fine on my converted body, but gives hot spots sometimes when used for long exposure IR on a standard body. The body cap lenses seem to work OK as well, but holding a filter in front of them is a bit awkward - a cokin P adapter ring screwed to the filter helps :)

Alan_N

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Alan
I have just had my old Lumix G5 converted with a 665 nm filter still getting use to it trying different lenses to see how work and different processing in Lightroom and photoshop same photo one in lightroom a few alterations in the basic tab and a few adjustments with the tone curve tab the other in photoshop trying channel swap. Enjoying it so far wish I had done it years ago, I had tried a few times with a IR filter but this is a lot better.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
750nm converted E-P2 with the above mentioned Panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens (shot at f4.5). Editing with GIMP-2.10. Cropped off a bit of the top which was just plain cloudless sky. This is MIT's Haystack Observatory in Westford Massachusetts...

50410171192_978f1b6823_o.jpg 2020.09.06-16.35.19 by Patrick, on Flickr

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom