Infrared photography - post your own!

Both channels swap red for blue and blue for red. Plenty of tutorials that will show it better than I can explain it online. Just search for infrared processing.

The preset actions were a download I was directed to from Life Pixel. All I do now is open the image, click on the action I want, and it does it. Very easy. I’m honestly not sure the exact method each actions uses.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'll go look and see what they have on their site. I already know about swapping the red and blue channels which would be one of the presets I assume. So my question is what channels are they swapping for the other preset?

Barrington Hall, Roswell, GA.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My first attempt at portraits in Infrared. Prom night.

A few more from Barrington Hall.

Midtown Atlanta.

Infrared. Andrew Jackson State Park, South Carolina.

Attachments

Fort Gratiot Lighthouse. Port Huron, Michigan.

docfox

Mu-43 Veteran
In the old days using IR film and GE 5R infrared flash bulbs...

A long time ago I had a lot more hair and a lot less paunch. I was a student at the (no longer existing) Bordentown Military Institute.

I had a terrific camera, a Nikon S-3 with a 50 mm f/1.4 lens. I used it a lot and did a lot of "exploring" with it. Note to younger readers - completely mechanical range-finder camera - no batteries, no exposure meter, no auto-focus, no microprocessors!

We had movies shown in the study hall on Saturday nights. I bought a roll of Kodak IR film and a sleeve of 5R infrared coated flashbulbs. I mounted a folding-reflector flash gun to the accessory shoe and plugged its PC cord into the camera's connector (top right in photo). I stalked my fellow cadets with this combination using my best "guestimate" of the required shutter speed and F stop. While no one saw the "flash" of infrared light that illuminated them, several commented later about the "hot flash" they experienced! Here are a few scans from my dusty and scratched 1958 negatives.

Thomas Edison Depot Museum and Blue Water Bridge. Port Huron, Michigan.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Last edited:

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am experimenting with a R72 filter.
Workflow is very slowly, but that is ok.
This photo I changed the blue channel.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I am experimenting with a R72 filter.
Workflow is very slowly, but that is ok.
This photo I changed the blue channel.

View attachment 664099
Looks like a nice scene for IR, but I think you have a hot spot hiding detail at the far end of the waterway.
Workflow is something with loads of options in IR, where there are no right colours, but on non converted cameras I typically just desaturate, then perhaps play with the hue.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like a nice scene for IR, but I think you have a hot spot hiding detail at the far end of the waterway.
Workflow is something with loads of options in IR, where there are no right colours, but on non converted cameras I typically just desaturate, then perhaps play with the hue.
Thanks for the reply.
It was a very hot and windy day last saterday when I took this. The hot spot might have to do something with the wind, causing unsharpness. Besides I have trouble finding the right focus. After all these years I still do not fully understand the hyperfocus concept.
I unsubsribed from Adobe, so I dont know if i have the right software for doing tricks like desaturating. Thanks for the tip, i should look into that. I played with the colours in Olympus OV3.

Am I right to think that for infrared bright, sunny wheather conditions are optimal?

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the reply.
It was a very hot and windy day last saterday when I took this. The hot spot might have to do something with the wind, causing unsharpness. Besides I have trouble finding the right focus. After all these years I still do not fully understand the hyperfocus concept.
I unsubsribed from Adobe, so I dont know if i have the right software for doing tricks like desaturating. Thanks for the tip, i should look into that. I played with the colours in Olympus OV3.

Am I right to think that for infrared bright, sunny wheather conditions are optimal?
Infra red work does require a few extra tricks especially on unmodified cameras.
You often get focus shift with infra red so hyperfocal focusing won't work reliably. Many older manual lenses have a IR focusing mark, how far it is from the visual mark varies. Despite this a magnified view in the EVF is usually best.

The effect of the wind is clearly visible in the foreground, but doesn't IMO detract from the image at all. I was referring to the other end of the water way. An area of increased brightness around the center of the image is typical for hot spots, this is something that varies with the aperture/lens & IMO even the camera. The brightening of the sky & slightly blown out foliage looks fairly typical of it to me.

I don't use Adobe, but I can't think of any photoediting package that doesn't have a saturation control. If you can play with the blue channel independently your software will have this function. I generally just use FastStone (which is free).

Yes bright sunny conditions are usually preferred for IR. With a converted camera it's practical to use flash or even moonlight, but this wouldn't be normal.

You may be interested in a IR specific forum, Home | Global Infrared Photography Village browsing it may answer some of your questions better than I can :)

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Infra red work does require a few extra tricks especially on unmodified cameras.
You often get focus shift with infra red so hyperfocal focusing won't work reliably. Many older manual lenses have a IR focusing mark, how far it is from the visual mark varies. Despite this a magnified view in the EVF is usually best.

The effect of the wind is clearly visible in the foreground, but doesn't IMO detract from the image at all. I was referring to the other end of the water way. An area of increased brightness around the center of the image is typical for hot spots, this is something that varies with the aperture/lens & IMO even the camera. The brightening of the sky & slightly blown out foliage looks fairly typical of it to me.

I don't use Adobe, but I can't think of any photoediting package that doesn't have a saturation control. If you can play with the blue channel independently your software will have this function. I generally just use FastStone (which is free).

Yes bright sunny conditions are usually preferred for IR. With a converted camera it's practical to use flash or even moonlight, but this wouldn't be normal.

You may be interested in a IR specific forum, Home | Global Infrared Photography Village browsing it may answer some of your questions better than I can :)
Thank a lot.
I will look into that

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom