1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Infrared photography - post your own!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by aloysius, Apr 24, 2014.

1. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    I had my E-PL5 modified by LifePixel to enhance its sensitivity to deep red, so I can i capture images of emission nebulae through my telescope. In the 'full spectrum' mod, the UV-IR filter on the sensor in conventional digital cameras is removed and replaced with clear glass. Because lenses are not designed to focus IR and UV light at the same plane as visible light, a filter must be used to avoid image blurring, but now I can choose the wavelengths of light I want to capture, from IR through visible to UV, by using the appropriate filter.

When the modded camera arrived I had to try it immediately, so I attached the 17mm f/1.8 lens with the IR-pass filter I bought for astrophotography, and snapped some shots from my balcony in Nevada City Cohousing. IR is recorded in the red channel, so the original pic is monotone in red. I converted it to B&W by desaturating colors in Lightroom. Green leaves emit a lot of IR, so they appear white:

140422_0007-XL.

I also bought a UV-IR filter that passes visible light, including deeper reds than the usual in-camera filter so the camera will pick up the hydrogen-alpha radiation from emission nebulae. That filter allows the camera to be used for conventional photography too, with an adjustment of color balance. That would be a normal photo, so I haven't tried it for normal photography. I've ordered a UV-pass filter for astrophotography, too. When it arrives I plan to try it for flower photography with the modded E-PL5 as well, because flowers often show patterns that guide bees to the good stuff, which are not visible to the human eye.

The sky looks darker in the IR image than it is to the eye, in part because IR passes through atmospheric haze, 'clearing' the sky. The night sky in my location has been too cloudy or hazy for astrophotography for a while, but we're supposed to see clearing next week, so I'll try for some extended-red astrophotos then.

A brief look at recent threads did not reveal a thread for IR photos. If you have some, please use this thread to show them to us!

• Like Like x 4
  2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've been playing with my full spectrum GF2 almost to the exclusion of my other cameras since getting it.

The examples below have been taken with a range of filters including BG3 (AKA superblue) for the crocuses, 650nm for the Thames, the last one was probably a 650nm but it may have been a 720nm.
    My collection of unmounted 1" diameter filters have got mixed up recently so I think the first may have been a u330 (mainly UV but with significant IR) rather than the BG3 I planned on using, UV response with most lenses is fairly poor, and all the cheap UV pass filters leak significant amounts of IR so I've not really managed much in the attempts to capture UV. IR on the other hand has kept me very busy.
    I think it was when trying filters out for UV on a dandelion that I mixed them up one black glass disc looks very much like another:redface::

13392713833_1dcc82fc8b_c. Crocuses by IR1 by Analyst 1, on Flickr

13768319883_24986a2820_c. Euston tree by Analyst 1, on Flickr

13768305063_0bfb376ff1_c. St Pauls, from Waterloo bridge (IR) by Analyst 1, on Flickr

13768317593_5ae029b213_c. sky P1020068 by Analyst 1, on Flickr

Sorry links got broken hope I've put the right ones back!

• Like Like x 3
  4. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Quite a variety, Mike. The last image is particularly appealing. I like the higher contrast than the blue photo, and the way the IR-pass filter darkens the sky and whitens the clouds.

My growing filter collection consists of 2" (actually, M48 threads) mounted astro filters (they cost a fortune), so they are labeled and I won't have your problem of figuring out which dark filter is which. I've got a Teleskop Service 2" filter drawer in the astrophotography system. I'll test whether I can adapt the drawer holder to lens filter threads without vignetting, so I can change filters by swapping a drawer rather than unscrewing an astro filter from a drawer, attaching an adapter ring, then screwing onto a lens.

A full-spectrum modded camera opens two new worlds, infrared and ultraviolet. It will be fun exploring earthly subjects with my developing astro system.

5. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    ex machina, my reply to you somehow disappeared. I hope I'm not duplicating it.

I like this photo for photographic reasons, not just because it is IR! Did you tone the image in post, or is that the color the 720nm filter gives you OOC?

6. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Thanks! OOC the image is red-toned. Following the instructions here: http://khromagery.com.au/ir_raw.html I created a new camera profile with an extended white balance range, allowing for more tonal choices; here I just accepted the auto-white balance and auto-tone values. I still have to figure out the color channel swapping that seems to be common in false-color IR.

7. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    The last one did have much better light, there was nearly total cloud cover for the first. The last was a grab shot whilst driving, so without even a glance at the viewfinder/screen (Not something to try on busy roads). I prefer the composition of the blue one, perhaps a bit more processing is needed to lighten it up (or better still a re-shoot later).
    The sky on the last on was perfect for IR, interesting cloud shapes widely spaced... I grabbed quite a few shots on the way home mostly on roads with nowhere to stop.:frown:

I have considered some of the astro filters H- alpha & O-III maybe, but cost has put me off. I'm fairly sure I've seen an adapter from 2" to 52mm on e-bay.
    My current system for mounting 1" filters involves a stepping ring to a vintage filter holder that can be taken apart. I'm going to try to mount them in 35mm discs (which will give me somewhere to label as well as the option of holding the edges) These would then fit in the instrument at work if they're need there again and could have a slot in mount made...

8. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011

Hello ex machina,

Are you using Lightroom on your IR photos? When I was considering this 6 months ago (and am now reconsidering), I don't think there was a way to do the channel swap from Lightroom. But if you google around, I believe someone wrote a Lightroom plug in that automates exporting your picture to GIMP to do the channel swap. While I do do computer stuff as a day job, I try to minimize it in my photography which had me shying away from doing an IR conversion. I am flirting with the idea of getting the lifepixel black and white conversion for my G1, as why should I give up a perfectly good camera as worthle$$ when I can drop more money on it. hahahaha.

You should set a custom white balance based on the available greens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Thanks, Highgrovemanor, I did use Lightroom, but I also have Photoshop, it's just that the swaps I've attempted so far have not done anything for me -- I think that initial white balance setting on available greens is the missing step that I'll try next time out. I've also thought about converting one of my old point and shoots, just have to decide if I'd rather have easy-IR or camera-toss: http://www.cameratossing.de ;)

10. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I had a go at some close up shots in infra red yesterday. Flowers tend to go very pale so usually don't work well. I was aiming to get the bees, the second one nearly escaped me!
    14289552603_c7fd1f3457_c. Bee in infra red by Analyst 1, on Flickr

14082730059_3fe988155e_c. P1040952 swap by Analyst 1, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
  12. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
  13. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    • Like Like x 2
  14. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
  15. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
  16. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    All of my photos were taken with a modified G1 (Lifepixel super color filter). All of the BW photos done with LR. The color image was done by swapping the red and blue channels with final PP in LR. I created a DNG color camera for the G1 but so far unable to access in LR. I really enjoy being able to handhold the camera for IR photography.

17. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Another attempt at channel swapping (IR converted GM1 slightly defished Samyang 7.5):

ir_STREAM.

• Like Like x 4
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think there is another thread somewhere....

Mine is a DIY modified E-PL1. Full spectrum with IR filters 720nm and recently (not much use yet) 1000nm filter

14611801538_19a01c3b4b_b.

14786145536_4d869c23c9_b.

14622589499_76fdd0002e_b.

I took deep red and deep blue gels and placed them on top of each other on my flash as an experiment. You can barely see the flash. Certainly not enough to bring attention to it in an almost completely dark room. Yet there is enough IR being emitted to take a photo (without filter).

15536799324_ddf3748481_b.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I just got my EM5 converted to Super Blue. I am still not sure about post processing. It i _9200082. _9210113. s easy to get interesting B&W effects,but I don't know about he color. I am using LR.

• Like Like x 1
  20. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    Recently purchased E-PL2 from another forum member. had a blast playing with it during the Australian silly season using my 9mm olympus body cap lens. Some of the photos suffer from bad focus, which i feel is more my fault in using the 9mm lens than anything else. The picture with the people in it: two of them were wearing black tops, and the lady in the middle had dyed black hair!

PC271255_Export. PC271316_Export. PC271293_Export. PC271214_Export. PC271238_Export.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6