1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Infrared conversion

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by djtaylor7, Apr 26, 2019.

1. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Nelson, NZ
    David
    Looking to convert an older E-PL3 to IR, with a internal filter probably from Life Pixel.

Any advice on which filter to go for. Am I right in thinking that if I go for the Supercolour (590nm) one, I can then use a Std 720nm filter on the lens if I want to?

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    My preference has always been for a full spectrum conversion. This is what I have on my modified GF2 and allows me to play with a wide variety of filters a 25A (590nm) is my most used, but I also switch to things like BG3, or #47 both of which give blues as well as the IR. An effect not possibly with a more restrictive conversion. There have even been occasions I've used it without a filter for more normal looking shots like these
    16855887721_c49375b20f.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Full Spectrum grid by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

15034325516_9d925ebf97.jpg
    View from Carnasserie castle_stitch small by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Both show changes from the IR component but they're more subtle than a 590... :) 

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    I got my PM2 converted from an ebay vendor. I cant recall but I think it was full spectrum conversion. I use a 720nm filter on the front end of my lens most of the time.
    P4120104ea.jpg
    P4120088e.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.