Infrared Carolina Trunk (590nm)

Mark Hilliard

Mu-43 Regular
During the time of slaves and war, we here in the great south had miles upon miles of fresh water rice ponds which were connected to brackish water tidal sources like rivers, streams and bays. Depending upon the tide, time and current there was fresh water flowing. They devised a valve system manually operated to only allow the fresh water to flow into the rice fields. This device was called a Carolina Trunk! This is an example (re-creation) of one.

The image was taken with an Olympus E-PL1 PEN full spectrum converted camera, an Olympus 14-150 m 4/3 lens with a B+W 090 590nm filter (Goldie) around 8am this morning.

Now, I did a little something different with this image, I attempted to frame the Trunk between the 2 background piers and I took the Trunk and the foreground rocks and converted them (in Viveza) to HIGH CONTRAST B&W in order to give the image some depth to draw the viewer into it.

I have to admit that I REALLY LIKE the E-PL1/14-150mm m 4/3 combination. It makes for a great carry around system that is functional in all color modes (UV/Normal Color/Infrared) with just a simple lens filter change!

I have added a DETAILED post processing list to my blog (below) on how I did these 2 images.

I am giving you both the Faux and B&W versions.​

Attachments

• E-PL1 Full Spectrum 1434 590nm Carolina Trunk  10 copy.jpg
    E-PL1 Full Spectrum 1434 590nm Carolina Trunk 10 copy.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 616
  • E-PL1 Full Spectrum 1434 590nm BW Carolina Trunk  10 copy.jpg
    E-PL1 Full Spectrum 1434 590nm BW Carolina Trunk 10 copy.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 432

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Very intriguing concept this Carolina Trunk and one I've never heard of before! I'll need to read a bit more about how they worked.

Thanks for these two photos, too.:cool: I'll have to go check out your blog to see if you show the scene in a non HDR mode, as well.

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
"Olympus E-PL1 PEN full spectrum converted camera, an Olympus 14-150 m 4/3 lens with a B+W 090 590nm filter (Goldie)"

I have to admit that I REALLY LIKE the E-PL1/14-150mm m 4/3 combination. It makes for a great carry around system that is functional in all color modes (UV/Normal Color/Infrared) with just a simple lens filter change!
This sounds great indeed, what are the drawbacks in performances for normal photography compared to original E-PL1 (besides costs and need to have filter installed)?
- I would prefer to use IR-filter on original E-PL1, but don't know if that would lead to anything reasonable...

Mark Hilliard

Mu-43 Regular
Answer

There are no drawbacks, no hits in exposure or auto focus performance. If you attempt to use a ir filter on a unmodified pen then you cannot shoot hand held or at higher frequencies like 590nm. It can be said that it is a slight inconvenience to have to change filters which cost $$ but it is a small price to pay for this super system that can shoot in every spectrum!

Latest threads

Top Bottom