1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Information about MD 50mm Macro

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Jun 25, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been slowly selling off lenses that I simply don't use and, out of my Minolta lens collection, I have one lens that I think is outstanding compared to what I think of the others. The lenses range from 35mm to 135mm in the MC/MD range and all are in pretty good condition, but I don't think much of the results when it comes to using them on the E-M1 (could be the fact that I don't find manual focus easy anymore). The one exception is the MD 50mm f3.5 Macro with 1:1 adapter, which I'd only use on a tripod and do things slowly. The lens looks like it just came out of the factory and really is fantastic optically, but the problem is that I also have the Olympus 80mm f4 and corresponding 25mm adapter, which is also fantastic optically.

So I've been considering selling the Minolta lens, but looking at some of the eBay options, there appear to be two types available. One version has the lens information inside the front element, the other (like mine) has it engraved on the outside of the barrel. Even a Google search failed to reveal why there are differences and the Rokkor Files didn't mention this either. There's a thread on this forum about the lens, but it doesn't specify which model is being used. Does anyone know what the differences might be?

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

Giant reference for any Minolta SR lens. Looks like all they changed was exterior dimensions/weight. Optical formula unchanged.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Thank you so much for this link . . . I love the Minolta glass but was having a hard time finding this type of spec page.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If you go to his main page, he also has a list of the specific codes for the hoods, and things like that. The only thing I don't find useful is the batch code, trying to relate that to serial numbers.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks for that. It looks like mine is the 1981 model (towards the end), judging by the serial number sequence. It makes sense considering it looks like it's never been used.

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Did it match the beginning or the end of the serial? Am looking for a specific version of the 35mm, and finally just had to go by other information about it to narrow down the serial sequence I am looking at, couldn't get the codes to match up.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My serial was towards the end (804-), assuming I'm reading things correctly. I have the MD W.Rokkor-X 35mm f1.8, but the serial doesn't match with any in the table (reading the first three digits).