Info on when the 9-18 starts shipping?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ray Sachs, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Given the semi-insider status of some around here, I wondered if anyone knew when the Oly 9-18 M43 is gonna start rolling out in the US? I've seen some posts from Japan and elsewhere in Asia from folks who already have them - I guess they're in the stores. Was hoping for April here in the States, but that's clearly not happening. Any thoughts or, more importantly, actual knowledge?

-Ray

2. Lance

Lance New to Mu-43

May 2, 2010
    NYC
    Ray, you probably already know this, but the 9-18mm is scheduled to be in stock on May 6th.

I'm looking forward to this one as well.

3. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, got the email from Amazon today. I spect that with the E-PL1 kit lens, the Pany 45-200, a pancake, and this one, i should be set for lenses.

-Ray

4. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    It shows as in-stock at B&H today.

Regards,

Antonio

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Next up, I'll be awaiting everyone's reviews...and hoping I won't feel the desire to run out and buy one.:wink:

6. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm honestly not sure why I'm getting it. I've never felt particularly deprived with an effective WA of 28mm (14 in m43 language). But I've seen so much great stuff done with the 7-14 and my eye, such as it is, tends to see more in wide angle than in telephoto, so I feel sort of obligated to try it. And I figure that going as high as 36mm (18) will allow me to keep it on for a lot of the same kind of street stuff that I do with the 17mm pancake, so it seems sort of versatile. We'll see!

-Ray

7. ajramirez

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Back in February 2nd, in a thread about amount spent on m4/3 gear, I said the following:

"I am trying very hard not to get into the "system" mentality with m4/3rds and continue to carry the camera with just one lens [kit lens]. The siren call of the Panasonic 20mm is getting harder to ignore though. . ."

Well, I am here to confess that I have failed miserably in my quest. About a month after the above was posted, I received my 20mm Lumix. And this morning, an order was placed for the 9-18mm M Zuiko, a 45mm Pana/Leica, and a Domke F5xb to carry it all.

So, not only is my wallet lighter, but I guess I'm back to carrying a camera bag, albeit a much smaller one.

On a different note, my EOS system has seen very little use since I bought my E-P1. Now that I will have the full range of focal lengths that I use, I wonder whether it will see any use at all . . .

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Clearly you'll need a 2nd m4/3rds body now Antonio :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

9. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I did that... I now have two bodies, lens on each. I work in very dusty surroundings, and I don't want to be opening that sensor up every time I need a different focal length.

Bokeh D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Antonio, thanks for fessing up and I can't wait to hear and see what you think of this new lens!

Bokeh, nice portrait.

11. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    My personal shooting style has revealed to me over time, that I tend to shoot mainly in the 32-80mm range with a few in the 200mm range, so the superwide is of little interest to me. What I"M waiting for is the next new one, the 14-150 due out in June. With it's single moving element and faster focus motor system designed to be ideal for video, THAT is what I'm holding out for. Got the cash set aside waiting for it unless I get cold feet and get another lens for another camera. The 14-150 would most certainly sit on my PL1 at least 80% of the time and my kit lens would likely either gather dust or be sold. The end of June/early July is when it's expected so I have to suffer. To bad it's not out now as my vacation is coming up in a few more weeks. Oh well.......their timing isn't MY timing obviously.:rolleyes:

12. ajramirez

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    If Olympus steps up to the plate with a body in the shape of an E-P1 but with an integrated EVF, I am there!

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm generally happy in the 14-42 range of the kit lens and so that stays on the most, with a pancake for low light shooting. I far more often wish for more on the wide end rather than the long end - hence, my interest in the 9-18. I'd love to have something longer, like the 14-140 or 150, but the compromises in size and weight are more than I'd want to leave on the camera a lot. The Oly will not be as large or heavy as the Panasonic, but its still more than I'd want to leave on all the time. And for longer lenses, I'd rather stay with Panasonic because of the OIS. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have any lens I buy now for a while, but I'm far less certain that as the bodies evolve, I won't end up with a body that doesn't have IBIS. And a longer lens would need to be good for video, which pretty much requires OIS (or a tripod). So I'd likely stay with Panasonic for those lenses and they're bigger and heavier than I want to haul around regularly. I have the 45-200, which I take out for specific types of shooting and specific events, but I usually don't have it in my bag so its not taking up space or weighing me down. I'm doing a big trip this summer and I'll have the kit, the 9-18, and a pancake in the bag. That still makes for a pretty small bag and it may just be a small insert inside my regular messenger bag.

-Ray

14. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

My 9-18 arrived today (California) :)

Now I have an excuse to go somewhere with a spectacular landscape!