Inflation - how much will you pay?

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
First, let's talking about pricing strategies. Prices aren't based solely on the cost of producing goods and services, nor on true supply and demand.
Prices are based on what consumers will tolerate. Hence, we have a lot of power if we flex our wallets (or not).

There are concerns now about inflation as the post-pandemic recovery begins. That is to be expected.
However, businesses are also using this as a way to guage what prices consumers are willing to pay.

For physical items, like camera gear, if us consumers are willing to pay inflated prices then the prices won't come down (or will come down more slowly). There is not a limited supply, there is only a temporarily limited supply.

So, if you don't like the price of gear you don't need, then don't buy it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
So, if you don't like the price of gear you don't need, then don't buy it.
Why are all your posts talking about gear about admonishing us that anything we may want to buy are things we don't need? It really seems to bother you that people buy cameras and lenses and other stuff because they want to.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Why are all your posts talking about gear about admonishing us that anything we may want to buy are things we don't need? It really seems to bother you that people buy cameras and lenses and other stuff because they want to.

You're incorrect.

Education is power.
This unbridled consumption of stuff is bad for our planet. It drives up prices (see the OP). Often, it doesn't solve a problem - other than wasting money.

A big problem that consumers have is not being able to differentiate between needs and wants.
Specifical to this forum, many cannot articulate the problem they claim to have that only spending money will solve.

GAS is a menta-health issue. It raises prices for all of us and hampers technological advances.

You must work in sales. And dislike the planet.

Phocal

God
2. No personal attacks or insults allowed.

that is a good question since all he does is post about gear but doesn't seem to ever use it since he has only posted like 4 photos on the site.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
3. Be nice. Rude comments have no place here.
You're incorrect.

Education is power.
This unbridled consumption of stuff is bad for our planet. It drives up prices (see the OP). Often, it doesn't solve a problem - other than wasting money.

A big problem that consumers have is not being able to differentiate between needs and wants.
Specifical to this forum, many cannot articulate the problem they claim to have that only spending money will solve.

GAS is a menta-health issue. It raises prices for all of us and hampers technological advances.

"Education is Power." :rolleyes:

And you clearly consider yourself much more educated than others.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
the average USSR citizen was far better educated than the average USA citizen so all that educated proletariat dictatorship experiment should have been a success, shouldn’t it?

Real Name
Chris
I find the preachy posts to be almost religious in their zealotry and I think we all can fall into the trap of being a zealot on our beliefs now and then. One must be careful not to be too zealous all of the time. I typically find that it is easy to point out how the zealous also do what they are saying not to do to some degree or another and it comes down to a matter of degree on some gray scale. Basically, the zealous preachers are usually telling others at what degree they are allowed to do this or that based on what they feel is appropriate. Seems out of place at a photo forum.

Real Name
Chris
I think that more often than not, the zealots are trying to fight their own demons and their zealotry is as much directed at themselves as at others. We are all guilty of that from time to time, aren't we? I know I am. ?
It must be part of human nature and typcially gets called out in religious groups. I have been observing it in almost all groups. The particular concern of interest is typically presented and defended as a religious dogma.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Unfortunately, many retailers can't, or won't grasp that fact.

edit to add that I'm talking about retailers in general, not just photography retailers.

One of the rules of design and manufacturing though is to make enough margin to re-invest in R&D. If Olympus don't make enough money, they die.

On to retail, if the retailer doesn't make enough margin, they drop the product and sell something else.

We photographers can't have it all ways.

I would be very interested to learn what people figure is a 'fair' profit margin for a retailer.

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
You're incorrect.

Education is power.

The only problem people have is having money to spend. The only solution to that problem is to spend money. It really isn't up to you or me to dictate what is or isn't a need, let alone what is a "waste of money". Your want might be my need.

If you want to discuss pricing and what drives it, it's much more complicated than what you have laid out. For example, the photography industry across all systems and brands was largely subsidized by the low end market, which has all but evaporated due to the quality in mobile phone cameras. That money funded the technological advancements higher up the line. That missing money needs to be found in order for the companies to not only stay in business, but advance the technology further.

GAS isn't what is raising prices and it certainly isn't hampering technological advances, in fact quite the opposite. GAS forces brands to compete for consumers money. Reasonable prices and valuable advances are what win customers and retain them. The reality is there is no bad camera on the market and every camera on the market is more than capable of doing it all for 99% of people 99% of the time. This is why sales have slowed. There is no reason to buy or upgrade really; except for GAS.

Here's a pretty good article on prices from DPR, while I don't necessarliy agree with every conclusion, it does have a good bit of research shown.
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9545017500/why-have-cameras-and-lenses-become-so-expensive

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
First rule of retail. Keep prices low and you sell more.
Yeah, but Leica superseded that rule with: "Sell a Leica this week, and you can lay your staff off and sit on your yacht next week." :hiding:

Actually, old camera shop boss use to tell us to "Sell the ***** Leica (or Hassy) so I can go play golf." His golf buddies were docs who he'd wager a game for them to buy gear if he won. We sold a bunch of stuff to them, but they never seemed to generate anything worthwhile using the expensive stuff. Lots of broken gear too.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
rule # 2 anyone?

No personal attacks or insults allowed. In general, stick to discussing the point at hand, and not to attack, characterize, or otherwise comment on the perceived motives or perceived character of other posters.

:)

I've stopped "characterizing" one of our fellow members. I recommend the "ignore" feature if you'd like to be in compliance. If not, well, carry on then, I surely don't want to be perceived as self-righteous by pointing this out. :rofl:

Latest threads

Top Bottom