Inflation - how much will you pay?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Perhaps you heard of Chaos Theory, well complex systems are not linear and making assumptions about correlation and causation leads to bad information and decision making. Similar to multicollinearity in regression analysis which makes it difficult to gauge the effect of independent variables on dependent variables. Basically with such broad assumptions and trying to go from a general to a specific in your arguments, well we all know what happens when you assume relationships.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You should go at it with smartphone users who refresh their phone every new model or every 2 years:
camerasalesfeat.jpg
digital-camera-sales-since-2010-800x800.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

America’s smartphone habit alone eats up some 23.7 million tons of raw material, according to a report from U.S. PIRG. The consumer group estimated that people holding onto their smartphones for an extra year would be the emissions equivalent of taking 636,000 cars off the road.
Source

There's a lot more smartphones being consumed than durable cameras and lenses which often go onto the used market and exchange multiple hands rather than go to the landfill quickly. Go after the biggest damage first rather than go after an ever shrinking niche that actually needs support from the market rather than the oversaturated hellscape that is the smartphone market.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
You should go at it with smartphone users who refresh their phone every new model or every 2 years:
View attachment 892533
View attachment 892534

Source

There's a lot more smartphones being consumed than durable cameras and lenses which often go onto the used market and exchange multiple hands rather than go to the landfill quickly. Go after the biggest damage first rather than go after an ever shrinking niche that actually needs support from the market rather than the oversaturated hellscape that is the smartphone market.

Yeah, but smartphones are completely free, and the cellphone company only wants £45 a month for two years.

At least, that's what some guy told me on the phone last week.

I pointed out that there were one or two problems with his mathematics - but there are a lot of folks out there who possibly aren't noticing how much things cost.

EDIT -

I'm on to something here. Get a free EM1 Mk3 with 12-40 lens, then pay just £90 a month for two years in return for 2500 images a month. After two years and one month, the battery self destructs and the lens falls apart. But it's okay....time for a new contract anyway.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
[MOD Hat]

I've had to issue two warnings in this thread. You can disagree but you cannot be rude or personally attack another forum member.

Let's take the temperature down.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
BUT that doesn't mean you will make more money. I personally am unlikely to pay more than $1200 (USD) for a camera body, no matter what.

Agreed. But unless you are the sole outlet for a unique product which can't be copied, someone will emulate you and undercut you.

When resale price maintenance was legal, it was not uncommon for shops to mark up luxury goods by 100%.

Thankfully, fixing price levels and margins with your competitors is completely illegal and huge margins are a thing of the past. That's great for the consumer but makes life more difficult for the retailer. May as well go in hard at the lowest viable price thesedays.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I tend to buy rarely, but then (within reason), I buy precisely what I want. And than I am usually happy with my choice and I stay with it for a long time. When I replace my Macbook Pro, it will not be the cheapest option, but by than I would have mine for 9 or 10 years (depending on availability).
Same here. I tend to buy and use for a long time. I bought my E-M1.1 in 2014 and it is still my main camera, so I am up to 7 years with it now. But like @GBarrington I have an upper limit (even lower than his) for cameras and I simply can not see paying more than $1k for a body. I bought my E-M1.1 refurbished from Olympus on one of the 20% sales so I got it for under $900 and that is the most I have ever paid for a camera. The great thing is when I do finally decide to upgrade, I will likely be able to move up a couple models (E-M1.3) and since they will not be the latest and greatest, once again get it for under a grand. I buy just about all my camera bodies and lenses second hand or refurbished from Oly.

Also like you, I used my 2009 24" iMac and only last year finally upgraded to the 2019 27" model and I suspect I will use this one for as long as I can (another decade?).

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tend to be patient with finding the right price for whatever I want to buy. It's very rarely that I would blow caution to the wind and splash out blindly. Stamps are one of the few things that I bought at whatever the price was, if it was what I wanted. Camera gear wise, I have been lucky with a few things. Like a near new P35-100mm f2.8 MKII for £200 plus postage. Or a near new boxed GX80 plus 12-32mm lens for £100. But those finds are rare, since they tend to be listings on eBay made late at night by someone who was drunk at the time probably, or didn't know what they were selling.
I am currently hunting for a PL50-200mm plus 1.4X converter for less than £1100. I don't expect that to be an easy catch, but you never know.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I've bought only one camera body and lens in the past 16 years, but to associate that with saving the planet, preventing inflation, and good mental health seems like a huge stretch to me. Maybe if I was more mentally sound and more environmentally conscious and an economist, maybe I would have spent more on cameras, not less. If gear is truly so superficial, then maybe we shouldn't make assumptions about people's character based on gear, because it is superficial.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You can judge the validity of claims made by Ethical Consumer for yourself, but their recommendation on camera purchases is to buy used. Apparently none of the camera manufacturers pass muster, though Sigma is highest rated. While I have purchased used or refurbished probably 90% of the time over the years, I can't say I was trying to save the planet.

The page I linked, from 2019, calls out Samsung the most, but I don't even know that they were still in the camera biz at that point [phones notwithstanding].

Companies to avoid​

Samsung has been the subject of criticisms over worker’s rights from multiple campaign groups, including accusations of blocking trade unions, poor pay and unsafe conditions by the International Trade Union Confederation.

Nikon and Leica both actively promote trophy hunting through the manufacture and sale of equipment and through their marketing and sponsorship programmes.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would rather photograph than bargain hunt
It is possible to do both you know. I can do both those things, I can watch TV shows, I can go to work, I can cook, I can read books, I can hang out with friends, and I can even participate on this website. Isn't it amazing that as humans most of us do not have to limit ourselves to one single activity in our lives, You should look into it. :rolleyes:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ok, to each his own. We all make choices. All I said is that bargain hunting is not for me. That is OK, is it not?
You came off as a grumpy old man who stands in his yard shaking his fist at passing clouds. Not sure why you felt a need to reply to someone's post about what they like to do to basically add nothing but putting them down for it. Kind of sounds like our other resident sour puss here that everyone "loves" due to his reputation of only posting to put people down and disparage their posts with nothing additional of value of his own to add other than grumpiness. Might I suggest you avoid that road.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think that you just read too much into what I wrote. The interpretation of a put down comes from your head and not mine. In a forum, you need to be prepared that not everybody shares your views.
I don't think I did read too much into it because the "I rather be taking photos than..." response is a common one around here by people either replying adding to a heated thread as a whole or to an individual post where they want tell tell people they are being stupid but do it in a passive aggressive way so if they are called out on it they can throw up their hands with the "hey, I was just saying what I prefer, not that they can't do/discuss/buy/etc whatever they want." But we all know the intent of that one line comment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom