1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Infinity focus

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by scottz, Aug 2, 2011.

1. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I bought a Minolta 45mm f2.0 and an adapter from Rainbow Imaging. Unfortunately, It focuses short of infinity. I also have the same issue with another Minolta mount lens. Short of trying another adapter, is there any solution to make this better?

2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  3. Your adapter must be slightly too long. First thing to check is that all of the screws on the front (lens side) mounting face of the adapter are tight. If these are loose or protruding the lens may sit too far foward causing you to loose the ability to focus to infinity. Most adapters are deliberately built slightly too short to create a margin for manufacturing error and reduce the possibility of losing infinity focus.

4. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Screws are all recessed and tight. I guess I just got one of the ones that wasn't the right length.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    The standard problem is focusing beyond infinity.

All of my Rokkors with Rainbow adapters do it.

Interesting.

6. If you fancy yourself with a bit of DIY you could try to sand/grind/file down the front mounting surface, but...it's gotta be flat, it's gotta be even, and all those metal shavings gotta be gone before putting it back on the camera. It's potentially salvagable but I'd probably be tempted just to try another adapter...

7. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Mmmm...pretty sure I'm gonna pass on trying to fix it, not worth the effort. And it's definitely not focusing past infinity, I could live with that. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just the 45mm, I picked up a 60-300mm Tokina and not getting to focus all the way out kinda defeats the reason I bought it.