Infinity focus with native lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stargate, Dec 28, 2013.

1. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    OK, I would like to dip my toe into night star photography and I was wondering if there is an easy way to focus at infinity in the dark with native lenses. Does anyone have a tip to offer? I can use legacy lenses which have a hard stop at infinity, but I do not have anything wide enough. It just crossed my mind that maybe the lens is at infinity when first powered on but I will have to check it tomorrow. Maybe it is lens specific also. Camera is the GX1 and lenses are P20 and P14-42.

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Olympus cameras (and possibly Panasonic cameras, too, although I have not owned one so cannot confirm this) have a setting, which is enabled by default, whereby a lens is reset to infinity focus when the camera is turned off. If you have this enabled, then turn manual focus mode on before half-depressing your shutter button, your lens should remain at infinity focus.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunatelly I can not find something like that in GX1's menus. I will have to check tomorrow, it's night now around here.

4. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    I have a G5, and it resets the focus to infinity automatically, though I can't find the setting either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Great! I checked with a distant target and indeed while the lens was focused at 1m, I turned the camera off and on again and switched to manual focus. I took a shot and the lens was set at infinity (or close enough to be covered by the DOF at f1.7). So now I'm waiting for a chance of clear skies and being away fom the city.
    Thanks everybody for answering. I learn something new about my great little camera every day!

6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Use manual focus.

7. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Hello and Happy New Year.
    If by manual focus you mean manual focus lenses I have the dificulty of finding decent wide angles for a decent price. The available legacy lenses that are less than 14mm are rare to non-existent.
    If you mean manual focus on native lenses, the problem is that all (that I know of) modern lenses can, when focused all the way to the infinity end, focus a little beyond infinity to be able to take care of focusing variations due to temperature differences.
    So the initial post is actually a question on how to focus at infinity in the dark.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The "reset to infinity" really isn't infinity, at least with both Olympus cameras I own. mFT lenses focus past infinity, and when using the "reset to infinity" setting, I find that the lens is actually focused just past infinity.

What I have done in the past is just find a bright star and manually focus. It's a pain to do, but it works.

9. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Presumably, "just past infinity" is within the depth of field of a stop or two less than maximum aperture in any event, so all that one has to do is stop down a little?

Edit: Hmm - having tried this now with the 12-40mm at 40mm and some clouds, it was not in focus at f/6.3, so this is probably not correct. The focussing on a star technique might be the best way to go.

10. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    The Rokinon 14mm f2.8 isn't too expensive.