1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Infinity and beond?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by LegacyLens, Apr 29, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Ok so if you have a old lens that has infinity focus could you use that for street shooting too? Is everything in focus outside the minimal focus distance or is there a loss of minimal focus distance? Thanks for the future help ?

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Depth of field varies by lens focal length, sensor size and aperture. Check out Online Depth of Field Calculator. (Be sure to specify your camera)

Each lens has a minimum focus point such that from x feet to infinity is in focus. That point is called the hyperfocal point. Generally, the wider the lens the shorter the hyperfocal point. A 15mm lens (always go by the actual FL, not the 'crop factor') at f8 has a hyperfocal point of 6.2ft and a DoF from 3.2' to infinity.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The DOF scale on an old lens won't be accurate when you adapt it to a different format such as Micro 4/3. Also, focusing to infinity on the camera for which it was designed won't keep near things in focus. Foreground people will be slightly blurred with sharp backgrounds.

For street shooting, just experiment with the DOF scale, look at your results, and it won't take long to figure out how to use the DOF scale to keep the distance range you wan't in focus. As a start, try setting the f-stop to f/5.6 and manually focusing the lens to about 2 meters away. If that gives good results on the street, note the position of the DOF scale and use it from then on. If not, adjust from there and see what works. I wouldn't try to set to infinity or hyperfocal because you won't be able to get close to your subject, and a sharp background is not always desirable.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Also, many adapters aren't especially precisely made, so you can actually focus 'past' infinity leaving everything slightly out of focus.

DH

5. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks for all your help!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Also some adapters won't allow focus even to infinity....I had that with an OM Zuiko to m4/3 one...

7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for the calculator. I much appreciate the numerous pearls of wisdom you dispense here.

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Amin, thanks for these useful suggestions.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd call that kind of adapter defective and return it :eek: But yeah, they do exist too.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've had the same problem with one of my adapters. You might try to tighten the screws on the adapter's bayonet mount, it's not uncommon they're a bit loose on delivery and tightening them might just be enough to attain infinity focus.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I'd had it for ages and can still use it on my OM macro lens so didn't bother returning...I have since got one that works to past infinity which was cheap as chips ;)