1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Inexpensive, tiny syncs.

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Clint, May 9, 2016.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I just received a package of FlashQ syncs. One transmitter, two receivers for USD $55 plus $6 shipping. They are tiny at 25mm square and with the three stacked are 62.7mm.

Turned them, sync'd them with each other, mounted and used them, all the way up to 1/320 on my E-M5 and FL-600R flashes. I took them off and put them back on and only sync'd at 1/250, took them off, put them back on and back to 1/320th sync.

I'll be ordering another kit.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Sorry, confused by this part of your post. Did they do that on their own (change sync speeds) or were you doing something on purpose my simple mind is not grasping?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    That was the max speed when there was no dark portions of the frame.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmm... ambiguous closing sentence

"I'll be ordering another kit"

does that mean

1) you like them and are ordering a second set

or

2) you dislike their erratic behaviour and are ordering something else?

cheers

K

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Kevin, they are great!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Saw the ad/link for those on 43rumors, and was surprised to see no one here mentioning them. If i'm not mistaken, one of the few options that does wireless on m43 without Macgyvering, at a low cost and with miniature size.

Clint, is it full manual? No TTL? Can you control the flash output from the camera?

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Thanks... I thought that was what you meant.

Think I will get a set... looks like a neat little solution

cheers

K

8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Where did you order them from Clint? And as asked above, do they work for TTL or only for manual mode?

I've been interested in picking up a set of radio triggers/receivers for my flashes (FL360L and FL580L), and these may be just what I'm looking for.

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I am assuming manual not TTL. From the website - – LightPix Labs

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    I've had mine since they first came out, maybe 18 months or so. Haven't failed me yet. They're terrific. Too bad their kickstarter campaign for a small flash didn't work out.

12. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Shocked me to see these have been put for that long, never heard of them until 43rumors mentiomed them a few weeks ago.

I still don't know if you control the flash output from the camera?

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Clearly there is no TTL, no control of any sort as there is only the centre trigger pin on top. These do the basic job but it's so nice being able to control levels of a flash on a stand behind an umbrella remotely...

14. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Manual only.
    I've had mine since the Kickstarter campaign.
    Extremely reliable, but do carry a spare battery as they are the disc/button type. Last for ages, and die when unexpected because you kinda forget they use a battery!

Not long distance either, but invaluable when packing light n tight

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The day I made the original post I ordered another set and received them 8 days later.

For the last three months these are the only syncs I've been using. I've probably shot about 70, what I call three minute environment portraits. I get someplace and have about 2 minutes to set up and about a 1 minute of time with the subject.

With all manual and no zones I've had to quickly judge the area and set up flashes to work well. More often than not the main and fill are bounced with a back light being direct. I've also starting playing with direct light from all three. The simple syncs and limited time have forced me into a new methods, and I'm really enjoying the challenge. Flashes not recycling quick enough have been an issue - but not the syncs.

These syncs are amazing, they have fired every time. With all six units they take less space than one PocketWizard! And extra batteries for the syncs (just in case) can fit right in with my extra AA batteries so it's like almost no extra space used in my camera bag.

FlashQ has a new fan! BTW, On the E-M1 they reliably work at 1/320th shutter speed using SB-800, FL-50R or FL-600R flash units.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    Do you think this would work with the yn560TX?
    Thinking og popping one of these on the camera and another on the TX, and let the TX control my flashes.

Would be nice to have the TX in my pocket and not as a big top heavy weight on my camera...

17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You'd have to try it, there might be timing issues with the flash/shutter curtain sync.

• Agree Agree x 1