Inexpensive, tiny syncs.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
I just received a package of FlashQ syncs. One transmitter, two receivers for USD $55 plus $6 shipping. They are tiny at 25mm square and with the three stacked are 62.7mm.

Turned them, sync'd them with each other, mounted and used them, all the way up to 1/320 on my E-M5 and FL-600R flashes. I took them off and put them back on and only sync'd at 1/250, took them off, put them back on and back to 1/320th sync.

I'll be ordering another kit.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I took them off and put them back on and only sync'd at 1/250, took them off, put them back on and back to 1/320th sync.
Sorry, confused by this part of your post. Did they do that on their own (change sync speeds) or were you doing something on purpose my simple mind is not grasping?

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
hmm... ambiguous closing sentence

"I'll be ordering another kit"

does that mean

1) you like them and are ordering a second set

or

2) you dislike their erratic behaviour and are ordering something else?

cheers

K

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Saw the ad/link for those on 43rumors, and was surprised to see no one here mentioning them. If i'm not mistaken, one of the few options that does wireless on m43 without Macgyvering, at a low cost and with miniature size.

Clint, is it full manual? No TTL? Can you control the flash output from the camera?

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Where did you order them from Clint? And as asked above, do they work for TTL or only for manual mode?

I've been interested in picking up a set of radio triggers/receivers for my flashes (FL360L and FL580L), and these may be just what I'm looking for.

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
And as asked above, do they work for TTL or only for manual mode?
I am assuming manual not TTL. From the website - – LightPix Labs

BACK TO BASIC. NO TTL
FlashQ supports remote triggering flashes at sync speeds up to 1/250 sec*. The trigger signal is barely on the central contact of standard ISO hot shoe. No TTL information is transmitted by FlashQ. This makes FlashQ compatible with most camera and Flash brands.

Last edited:

khughes44

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kevin Hughes
I've had mine since they first came out, maybe 18 months or so. Haven't failed me yet. They're terrific. Too bad their kickstarter campaign for a small flash didn't work out.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've had mine since they first came out, maybe 18 months or so. Haven't failed me yet. They're terrific. Too bad their kickstarter campaign for a small flash didn't work out.
Shocked me to see these have been put for that long, never heard of them until 43rumors mentiomed them a few weeks ago.

I still don't know if you control the flash output from the camera?

MichaelSewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
Shocked me to see these have been put for that long, never heard of them until 43rumors mentiomed them a few weeks ago.

I still don't know if you control the flash output from the camera?
Manual only.
I've had mine since the Kickstarter campaign.
Extremely reliable, but do carry a spare battery as they are the disc/button type. Last for ages, and die when unexpected because you kinda forget they use a battery!

Not long distance either, but invaluable when packing light n tight

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The day I made the original post I ordered another set and received them 8 days later.

For the last three months these are the only syncs I've been using. I've probably shot about 70, what I call three minute environment portraits. I get someplace and have about 2 minutes to set up and about a 1 minute of time with the subject.

With all manual and no zones I've had to quickly judge the area and set up flashes to work well. More often than not the main and fill are bounced with a back light being direct. I've also starting playing with direct light from all three. The simple syncs and limited time have forced me into a new methods, and I'm really enjoying the challenge. Flashes not recycling quick enough have been an issue - but not the syncs.

These syncs are amazing, they have fired every time. With all six units they take less space than one PocketWizard! And extra batteries for the syncs (just in case) can fit right in with my extra AA batteries so it's like almost no extra space used in my camera bag.

FlashQ has a new fan! BTW, On the E-M1 they reliably work at 1/320th shutter speed using SB-800, FL-50R or FL-600R flash units.

Last edited:

lowlight

Mu-43 Regular
Do you think this would work with the yn560TX?
Thinking og popping one of these on the camera and another on the TX, and let the TX control my flashes.

Would be nice to have the TX in my pocket and not as a big top heavy weight on my camera...

@Clint ...Just came across this thread. Interesting, cuz I still have my old SB800 flash that I’ve been hoping by I could could use with my Oly setup, especially now I’ve got a new 60/2.8 macro lens.

Did some research on the triggers and they are up to version T2 now. Found them on amazon.ca but they only include 1 transmitter and one 1 Receiver ... for $147.31 cdn$... that seems to be a fair hike with less product than the $61 US$ you paid for 1 trans and 2 recvrs a couple of years ago.

I’ve also been intrigued by the Miops system that @MichaelSewell has reviewed, and while it comes in at a considerably higher price it also can do a lot more. The FlashQ would certainly be a more manageable travel option, especially if paired with their flashq q20ii flash unit.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried adapting this flash unit for macro?

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can get one transmitter and two receivers FlashQs directly from LightPix Labs for $68USD. For marco flash the FlashQ 20 II looks like it would work very well and you can control the output of the flash from the transmitter!

To use the SB800 you just need transmitter and receivers, but the flash will be manual only. And there are many very inexpensive transmitter/receivers available today. Check out some Newers on Amazon.ca. The MIOPS system is something you want when you have unique situations and camera triggering and flash timing is critical - for just firing others flashes the MIPOS is way overkill.

Flashes like the SB800 are overkill for many many macro situations. You may want to get some ND filter paper for use with lights.

GooSe

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Bastian
Do you think this would work with the yn560TX?
Thinking og popping one of these on the camera and another on the TX, and let the TX control my flashes.

Would be nice to have the TX in my pocket and not as a big top heavy weight on my camera...
If you havn't tried it yet, it will work. I'm using a optical trigger on my Yougno tramsmitter as a workarrounf till I get enough Godox unitx. Workes up to 1/250sec ;-)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom