Inexpensive Slave Flash Suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Droogie, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Hi all, I'm interested in taking my photography to the next level when shooting items for my wife's Etsy site (lots of stuff on full size mannequins). I'd like to start experimenting with using an off camera flash as a slave triggered with my on camera flash. Does anyone have suggestion on an inexpensive slave flash that might fit my needs? Preferably under $200. I would use it with either a soft box but more likely with an umbrella. I currently use a Panny G3. I would love any suggestions. Thanks.

2. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    basically any unit that has slave capability - it's stand alone so it doesn't matter what it is, only what it does!

bigger the better, and the more output settings the better (although you can usually move it further away if you need to reduce it's impact other than turning it down)

I would have thought you could get 4 or 5 units for that budget :smile:

3. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I was going to suggest the same. I have a couple Yongnuo flashes and I will be buying another 1-2 in the near future. They work great, they're reliable, easy to use, and offer a good feature set for the money. I have the 560 II which is about $60-70 and handles manual flash and slave flash functions, and lets you work with an external battery pack (separate purchase) as well if you want faster recycle times and longer battery life.

My other YN flash is the 568-EX which I use with my Nikons because it also adds TTL functionality for Nikon (sadly, they don't make an m4/3 TTL-compatible flash from Yongnuo yet so you're stuck with Metz or Olympus/Panasonic for TTL).

Side note: a little while back I picked up a $28 24"x24" NEEWER brand softbox and a pair of Cowboy Studio 7' light stands on amazon for another $21 or so. Simple way to get you started with some lighting for very cheap. You can add in stuff like a reflector, umbrella(s), and another flash unit or two later if you want to start experimenting with multi-point lighting too.