Inexpensive M43 walk-around prime lens

Real Name
Roddy
I checked out your macro shots and you have some wonderful ones on your site. I am amazed how close you were able to get with the 30/2.8 macro on some of those images. I have the 60/2.8 Olympus one and have a hard time getting close to some insects with it. LOL
GQR
Thank you for your kind comment, @grcolts - it is very handy that the 30mm's IQ allows for some artistic cropping too. I have yet to let a good sting get in the way of a much easier crop :D

Real Name
Butch Oakey
On Panasonic bodies, I think you can set the focus with the body controls.
On Olympus bodies, you can set "reset MF" function which resets the lens to infinity with the body is switched on (be sure not to change focal length afterwards...)
On some Oly bodies, you also have the PresetMF function that can be useful.

A focus ring is a better solution, though :)
Couldn't find a way to do it on my GX7, will keep searching because it's such a neat lens

The shortest prime I have is the Panasonic 30mm f2.8 ( I know, I need a 15 or something), and as such it is my walka-round lens when I want a prime and a jolly fine thing it is too. Pretty good for most subjects (portraits, landscapes, cars, street etc), and it has the additional bonus of being a macro lens so anything flowers/insects and so on is just a 'lean forward' away. I call it my Nifty Sixty, and it's bright enough, fast enough and cheap enough to work for me. I think it is one of the great under-sung heroes of Panasonic's line-up. There's an album of images here if you want to see what it's capable of.
Very nice pictures indeed.
I'm really impressed by the macros, but the other pictures are good too.
I even forgot this lens existed, to be honest.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Hey, if anyone here wants a 12mm f2.0 Ltd Black version, with all of the original packaging, hood, filter and caps, in excellent condition, let me know. I know it's not the marketplace, but just thought I'd throw it out there. I really haven't use mine in quite some time. I'll post it there over the weekend. Feel free to pm me about it. - Sold it.
Gone? I sold mine, but now think I want it again.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I was first starting out in M43 I got a use 14mm and a GWC1 when they were closing them out. Added a use Sigma 30 2.8 and an Oly 60mm (a still 225 like new) and that is my inexpensive prime kit. Will never sell them because at the price I paid for each item each (except for the GWC1 but I got it for $115 which is still very good for a new one) means I paid only for about an Oly 60mm on sale for the total.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
On Panasonic bodies, I think you can set the focus with the body controls.
On Olympus bodies, you can set "reset MF" function which resets the lens to infinity with the body is switched on (be sure not to change focal length afterwards...)
On some Oly bodies, you also have the PresetMF function that can be useful.

A focus ring is a better solution, though :)
Thanks. Wish I knew that when I needed it. :)

Agreed though, a focus ring is a better solution.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The lack of a focusing ring on the 12-32 was brought home to me one night when I was trying to shoot the night sky with my light (PL5) kit. I simply could not get it to focus. Too dim for AF (touchscreen AF would not work either) and no way to manually focus the lens on the stars. Frustrating. Otherwise, a great little lens.
Now that would be a bummer, to not be able to even fall back to manual focusing.

Jim Eggleston

New to Mu-43
Hello all, first post on this forum.

The 12-32 is my walk around lens. It is annoying to remove the lens cap AND extend the lens AND turn the camera on to take a shot. However, I just got the JJC Z-O14-42 auto open lens cap. It is made for the Oly 14-42 but works fine with the 12-32. Having one less thing to deal with makes all the difference, I wish I had bought it sooner.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom