Inexpensive Light Meter recommendation?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by WT21, Nov 19, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The light meter on my Canonet is broken. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an affordable, very basic hand-held light meter I can carry around with me. I looked at the Sekonic 308 and 358, but I'm looking for something cheaper.

2. An E-P1? My bad...but seriously.

3. dfigueroa84

dfigueroa84 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    I've been using gossen luna pros for some time. Reliable zone 5 meter. Gossen has a digital one for not too much and it has an analogue scale. And for spot metering, a pentax digital spot meter.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Posted the same question at POTN, and someone told me to download a free iPhone app. It does what I need. Worth trying it out for free, before dropping $100-200 on an actual meter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dfigueroa84

dfigueroa84 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Yea I heard of that and if it works then that's excellent. I remember when I was on the hunt for meters and came across them easily on Craigslist, eBay and camera shows for 20 bucks or so.

Let us all know how that works out. At least for others looking for meters on this site.

6. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
  7. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    +1

8. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I've used Gossen Luna Pro in the past and still have my Honeywell 1 degree Spot meter, however, since it won't be n the camera and good brand--such as Sekonic--would work well.

9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Sekonic L-208 TwinMate

Small, light, and can be mounted on a hot shoe.

--Warren

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Look for a used one. I use a Minolta IV which also can be used as a flash meter. Don't forget the Sunny 16 rule and the paper that comes with the film.

G

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I suggest the Voigtlander VC I (or II) meter for most rangefinder films shooters. It just so happen to have both a Canonet and VC so you can see its size.

* Its small.
    * Its "use" (simple, straightforward, < * > indicator) lends itself well to the whole vintage rangefinder experience.
    * Its operation mimics the old Selenium meters many are familiar with.
    * You can check exposure with the camera hanging around your neck without having to look into the viewfinder.

Heck... I still use it (occasionally) with an M9 because i can check metering without lifting it to my eye. It comes with a wriststrap in case you don't want it on the camera.

This is how it looks when the camera is around you neck and you are looking downward.

Now it doesn't have all the features of a modern day Sekonic but I find most people in your situation are not really looking for a full featured handheld.

I found my VC I used for $135+/- a long time ago. The VCII replaced it with exposure lock and slightly better ergonomics for $225. Various places have the VCI still listed for under $200 and you may find one used somewhere.

btw... get the silver one if possible... Looks great on silver/chrome vintage cameras. LOL.

Here's a link with more information from cameraquest:

http://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet.htm

Here's a link with info on the VCII:

http://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet2.htm

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The paper that comes with the film?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App