1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Inexpensive flash for Pen E-P3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Screamin Scott, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Screamin Scott

Screamin Scott Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Atlanta Ga. Metro
    I'm not one that uses flash much, but the built in on this camera is so limited in it's range. Looking for maybe an older thyristor unit that would swivel & bounce as well as having an "auto" mode... Would I be able to use a T32 on this camera? Any other recommendations? I also shoot with Nikon DSLR's & have several older Nikon speedlights (SB22, SB25) as well as a more current SB 600 & a bunch of older 3rd party units whose trigger voltages I'm sure is too high.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    You could always get a safe-sync and use any manual flash you would like. I got one from Fotodiox for about $10-15.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Or you buy a radio transceiver like Cactus V5 or similar and have it trigger off-camera. If you happen to have a powerful flash that doesn't have one of those high voltage triggers in the excess of 300v, then yes you can trigger with your E-P3 set to auto mode. Then all you have to do is shoot your E-P3 in Aperture Priority mode. However, I would recommend that you get at least 1 TTL capable flash for your E-P3 for on camera flash photography and then use the manual Auto dumb flash for your main studio light. That way you save on the wear and tear of your dedicated TTL flash.

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Maybe you need more light than I do, but I'm happy with my FL-300R. It supports all the Olympus functions including remote operation triggered by the E-P3's pop-up flash.

I also tried an old Nikon speedlight on the E-P3 but it was too much of a pain for me to use in manual mode.

5. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    I use a NIKON SB22s on my GX1 with perfect results, it's got a selection of 4 auto apetures so it is quite convenient. Anything bigger and the combo gets unbalanced. Anything smaller and it is too small. For off camera flash though, anything goes. I have an assortment of old ones that I trigger with cheap radio triggers and optical slaves.

6. Screamin Scott

Jan 13, 2014
    Atlanta Ga. Metro
    Thanks for the reminder about the Wein Safe Sync as I have one. Now to just find it...

7. Screamin Scott

Jan 13, 2014
    Atlanta Ga. Metro
    Is the 22s the same trigger voltage as the 22?...I was thinking about using the SB22 due to it's smaller size...Did you have to tape over any of the flash contacts?...The SB22 only has two auto aperture selections, but I can live with that.... I have older Vivitar 283 & 285HV units for my off camera needs...

8. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    All NIKON flashguns from that era are quite safe. I have tried the flash without taping the contacts but while it sometimes worked, many times it did not fire.
    With taped contacts it works excellent. I have not investigated it a lot, and it seems a little strange as the NIKON contacts are not at the same position. The tape on the hot shoe is a pain sometimes as it gets ripped after a couple of uses. As the SB22s is not an expensive flash and considering that it is not worth the effort to sell it in the future, I might open it up and disconnect the extra contacts from the inside. Then no more taping :)