Inexpensive adapter from four thirds to mft that allows autofocus?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bopat, Jun 12, 2011.

1. bopat

bopat Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi all,

I just went ahead and purchased the four thirds 40-150 zoom lens as I found a really good price for it online (something like 133 USD).

My question here relates to the adapter that will be required to use this lens on my EPL-2. I know that fotodiox has one, but this only allows manual focussing. But if I am right, the official Olympus adapter (~170 USD!) will let me autofocus. My question is, if I want autofocusing, is this the ONLY route to go??

I'd like to try and resolve this soon, and hence eagerly await your responses!

I thought this was a fantastic way to get some nice zoom for cheap, and so hurriedly bought this lens. But now with the added cost of the adapter, this does not look like such a great deal!! :eek:

Cheers,
    bopat

2. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    As far as I know there's only the Olympus MMF-1, MMF-2 or the Panasonic MA-1 (I think its called that) that allow auto focus between 4/3 and M4/3 lenses.
    I've looked on ebay and the only other adaptors available seem to be manual focus only...but they are a lot cheaper :)

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Panasonic adapter is considerably cheaper IIRC

4. The full name for the Panasonic adapter is the DMW-MA1. I thought that each of these were available for a bit less than $170 though. Bear in mind that unless you buy one of the Olympus or Panasonic adapters you will not only lose autofocus, but you will also not have manual focus, or any kind of aperture control either.

5. bopat

bopat Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Ah, ok thank you all for your answers.

Factoring in the expense of the adaptor, does it make it worth it compared to just a m4/3 zoom? I should look into the Panny one as well. Just got out of school and so am on a budget. However, I was in Alaska these past few weeks and sorely missed having a tele lens!! The kit lenses performed admirably for what it could handle though! I am going back and so do not want to miss out on the wildlife (musk ox, foxes, wolves, dall sheep !! ) again!

Also, where is the best place to buy these accessories?? :biggrin:

Thanks!

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You can probably pick up a Panny 45-200 for less than your lens + adapter, and it will AF quicker and be much smaller

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would keep looking around between the Olympus MMF-1, Panasonic DMW-MA1, and Olympus MMF-2, and you will probably find a good deal on one. The Panasonic one was traditionally cheaper (when I bought mine it was $50 cheaper - $200 as opposed to $250 for the MMF-1), but the all the adapters have gone in price since and are now more level between the two companies. However, you may still find a Panasonic for cheaper, or you may find an MMF-1 for cheaper than the MMF-2. The MMF-1 is white and was made to go with the original white version of the E-P1. There are still white versions of the new cameras (like the E-PL2), but everybody uses black Four-Thirds lenses so the newer, black MMF-2 just makes more sense.

Trust me, these adapters and the lenses they allow you to use are DEFINITELY worth the investment. And at only $170, that's a huge discount already from what I had to pay for them when the first PEN came out.

8. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    So lets say you get the Panasonic DMW-MA1, will this only work on other panny lenses, or other brands as well i.e. Nikon lenses?

9. You can stack other adapters onto the Oly and Panny m4/3 - 4/3 adapters to take Nikon, Canon EF, M42, Oly OM lenses, but all automatic and electronic functionality is lost.

10. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    In my opinion between Panasonic-Lumix DMW-MA1 and Olympus MMF-2, I choose DMW-MA1 simply because DMW-MA1 like all the Pany-Lumix mounting still made from metal alloy. Since MMF-2, Oly choose to use some sort aluminium for mounting to reduce cost and weight. While both AF function flawlessly, the longevity of MMF-2 mounting is in question because it look thin and easily worn out. In my place DMW-MA1 cost US$10 more than MMF-2.

In my experience using 4/3 to m4/3 adapter (DMW-MA1) in EPL-1 with ZD 14-45 mkI and ZD 40-150 mkI the AF not appear less slower compare to mZD 14-42 L mkI that come with EPL-1. All struggle heavily under low light condition and some time miss detect the subject we intend to focus. Problem that you can solve by using SAF-MF mode, high ISO, speed and refocusing with lens barrel. (I wish Oly give more rotating/dial button like EP and we can customize live magnification ratio to ease the focus process). Under ideal light condition it works just as fast as my prime lens.

AFAIK there's no (yet) lens/adapter that allow AF outside 4/3 and m4/3 lens in m4/3 body.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It will work with all Four-Thirds mount lenses, which includes all Zuiko (Olympus), Panasonic and Leica DSLR lenses, as well as a number of third party lens makers such as Sigma and Vivitar. Nikon never made anything for Four-Thirds mount so you will need a different adapter. If you have a DMW-MA1 though, then you can get a Nikon adapter for either Four-Thirds or Micro Four-Thirds and still use it on your Micro Four-Thirds body (by stacking like LuckyPenguin mentioned). Nikon lenses come in different mounts, but the most common was the Nikon F mount. If you want to mount lenses which come from another mirrorless system like rangefinder or cine lenses, then you can only adapt those to a Micro Four-Thirds mount, not Four-Thirds.

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Fotodiox adapter will not allow you to focus manually. The lens you have manually focuses by wire. This adapter has no electrical connections so no control over aperture or focusing of any kind.

Fred

13. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Adding to Ned explanation and to clarify what "worked" means...
    In order to make adapted lenses and adapter that allow Auto Focus to work in m4/3 camera you need to use "native" lens i.e ZD or mZD made by Olympus and "official" 4/3 to m4/3 adapter that have electronic contact made by Olympus and Panasonic. AFAIK 3rd party 4/3 to m4/3 adapter doesn't have electronic contact so there's no way to make AF work.

There are also 4/3 or m4/3 mount lenses (modified, adapted or officially) that can be use in m4/3 camera. But due to the absent of electronic contact there's also no AF capability in these lenses. You still can use it as MF lenses although you may not be able to control the aperture, unless the lenses have physical aperture dial/control.

14. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Kerso (best ebay 4/3 seller) has the Panasonic-Lumix DMW-MA1 at the best price anywhere, fast efficient service and is highly regarded. He is American but has shop based in Scotland.

15. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Does Kerso do the 4/3 m4/3 adaptors? Can't find them on his Ebay store.

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Look for used ones on eBay. I got the Panasonic adapter for ~$110. Still grossly overpriced consider what the adapter does (it just passes through the electrical signals), but what can you do?

If you're just looking for a telephoto lens, the Panasonic 45-200 is good bet. You don't need an adapter at all then and the AF is miles quicker than any adapter 4/3 lens. 4/3 on the m4/3 is still a bit of kludge.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    The dmw-da1 is the 4/3 to m43 adaptor.......
    Got mine from them not long ago (at s/h price) might be worth contacting them and asking.....
    You can't loose anything

18. bopat

bopat Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Adding the price of the adapter to the Oly 40-150 now makes me think that I rushed into to buying this! :(

I suppose I could have just sprung for the Panny lens. I'm keeping an eye out for good prices on the adaptors (all three of them!). This puts me in a quandary. Should I sell off my Oly lens when it gets here or just think about getting the adaptor and making do with the combo??

I'll look into the recommended ebay sellers too.

Any further comments are as always appreciated.

Cheers,

19. The 4/3 adapters are only useful if you;

a) already own a collection of 4/3 lenses
    b) want to buy and use a 4/3 lens that doesn't have a m4/3 equivalent
    c) get an amazing deal on a 4/3 lens/es that save you more than the cost of the adapter over buying m4/3 lens/es

It may make financial sense to sell the 40-150 and get an equivalent m4/3 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Seems to me that if you're going to shoot with a m-43 body you should be shooting through a m-43 lens. Since there's no such thing as an "inexpensive adapter from 43 to m-43" that will provide full function, your least expensive option will be to stay with the m-43 format.

If there's a compelling reason to stick a 43 lens on a m-43 body, then you'd want either the Olympus or Panasonic 43-to-m-43 adapter. But lens selling price does not seem to me to be a compelling reason. You can have an Olympus m40-150 for around $280 US. By the time you finish buying an MMF to adapt your 43 lens, you've exceeded that price easily.

So what's a compelling reason? Luckypenguin pointed out several.

A compelling reason would be because the particular glass you need to shoot is not available in m-43 -- an Olympus 300mm f2.8, for example (or any SHG or HG glass). But sticking a 43 lens on a m-43 body when there is already a m-43 lens that covers the field seems like a no-win situation entirely for at least two reasons...

First, the m-43 lenses are smaller and lighter than their 43 counterparts. Why would you want to use bigger and heavier when the smaller/lighter version exists? Seems to defeat the purpose of going m-43, imo.

Secondly, the Olympus 40-150 for 43 is not optimized for CDAF (contrast detect auto focus) which is used by all m-43 cameras. But the m-43 Panasonic and Olympus lenses that cover the same range are made especially for CDAF. So they're gonna work a lot more quickly than your un-optimized 40-150. Faster AF means you'll get more of the shots you want and fewer shots you'll want to throw away.

Micro-43 offers a wonderful platform to mix lenses from other systems, and that's one of its great beauties -- if you already have a collection of high grade glass from another system. But unless you're already heavily invested in manual focus glass, it doesn't make much sense to kludge together a Frankenstein system from scratch.

IMO your best option at this point would be to re-sell the lens you just bought -- you should be able to recover the price easily -- and invest in the Oly m40-150 instead. I think you'll be much happier with the result.

• Like Like x 1