Industar 69 28mm f2.8 Close Focus Only

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by simonz, Aug 9, 2011.

1. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    I just received a miniscule Industar 69 28mm f2.8 lens from an Ebay company in Ukraine. I put the lens on 3 different m39->m43 adapters and, with each adapter, it will only focus to around 6 feet but not further.

Is this how this Industar is supposed to focus or did I get a defective lens?
  2. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    I think it had to be modified, to focus to infinity, I remember searching on google for the fix on it;
  3. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    You may have ended up with an M39 SLR lens rather than an M39 rangefinder lens, and so you'd need a longer adapter to get it to focus to infinity.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    This Industar 69 28/2.8 uses the M39 mount but is designed to fit a half-frame camera that has a marginally shorter flange or registration distance compared to a normal M39 lens. Fitting it unmodified to a m4/3 camera using a standard M39 adapter gives the effect of a thin extension tube.
  5. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010

named Chaika:

Here a sample picture (two half frames...):

The Chaika-2 is a really nice little camera :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England

Thank you to the posters who suggested modifications. I googled and found a simple modification of removing one screw and now the lens can focus to infinity. Below is a link and description of how it's done. It only took me a few minutes. The f-stop marker is now off, but I will relabel with a red marker.

• Like Like x 2
  7. aria

aria Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Rome, Italy
    soviet inventive:)
  8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Besides that, you can purchase another m39 adapter and have it filed, so you won't need to change the lens. It's what I did, since.
  9. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

As stated sLorenzi, just filled the adapter. You don't take a risk with the lens and it's fun :)

See my album to roughly see the procedure :

Industar 69 - a set on Flickr

We filled about 1.5 mm. Be carefull, the focus changes are not linear. We went too far with the 1st adapater, and we lost about 50 cm of close focus just filling .1mm...

Now we succeed with an other adapter: close focus at 80cm and infinity focus set (even at f2.8)

Hope this was helpfull ;)