Industar 61 L/D 55mm f2.8 (LTM): show photos

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Lawrence A., Jun 23, 2012.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've heard this lens described as anything from pure junk to quite good; I lean toward the latter evaluation. It is definitely not super sharp. A quick test against the OM Zuiko f1.8 showed that the industar exhibited less sharpness and less contrast at every aperture. The Om is sharper wide open at f1.8 than the Industar is comparably wide open at f2.8. Below are a couple of 100% out of camera jpegs at f8, the aperture where the Industar is at its best. The color rendering is different, but that does not account for the obvious challenges the Industar has in keeping up in terms of resolution.

Nonetheless, I'm quite fond of it. The bokeh is pleasing, and it renders a three dimensionality that I find inviting. It is definitely a lens that proves that "sharpness is not everything". It would lose out to the competition in most of the test chart evaluations, which is why people talk of these in contrast to the "real world" shooting they do. Elsewhere objection has been taken to the "real world" idea, but in fact our actual shooting is rarely on a single plane of focus, unless we are shooting copy work, so the "real world" does in fact offer a different set of challenges to those laboratory measurements along one plane of focus. The lens does exhibit less than stellar resolution on a single plane, but it renders a very pleasing overall sharpness and three dimensionality in the "real world."

It would not be the first lens in my bag on a given day, but I use it without thinking twice on the Leica IIIb I bought it for, and if I throw the LTM to M4/3 adapter in my bag with the E-M5, I usually include this lens. Decide for yourself though. The first two are tests at f8 and the second "real world" photos with the Industar.

First the Industar:
    [​IMG]

Then the OM Zuiko
    [​IMG]

Now the real world Industar shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I've always considered it the nicest tessar design made by the FSU. It was certainly the only good reason to buy a FED5 lens cap :biggrin:

The old Zeiss Tessar is a very simple design and it doesn't do sharpness terribly well. It tends to have a center spot that can be sharp at the point of focus but then softens in a way that's almost buttery. The Sonnar does similar things but the Tessar, to my eye, is usually more smooth in the transition from sharp to soft, while the Sonnars have slightly nicer OOF areas. The Industar 61, especially in the lanthanum glass version for LTM, is a fine little example of this design.

As you say, it is best at f8+ but I still often use it at f2.8 with the understanding that it's not going to be the same as using a modern computer designed lens. I carry it with me very often and, more often than not, will go out and about with it being my only lens for the days shooting.

P5160611.

P5160612.

P5160617.

P5160614.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    William:
    Nice shots. The soft highlights on the water's surface are gorgeous.

Like I said, the lens is not usually the only lens I take for the day, but I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so it's hard to know where my shooting habits with it will take me. For now, I frequently put it on the e-M5 when I got out to walk the dog in the evening. Light is usually pretty harsh about that time, raking the landscapoe from the open high plains to the west of the city. The shot below is one I got today. I'm rather fond of its simplicity. The file was sharpened in Lightroom and tweaked in Photoshop, but not more than my other digital shots. Sharpness is not an issue with the real shots I'm taking with it, and I'm growing quite fond of it.

P6237085.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    That last is very nice. I'll look forward to seeing more work from you with the Industar.

I'll also note that if you like this lens, you might really love a Jupiter 8 50/2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've been thinking of that, although right now I need a 35mm lens for my Leica IIIb, so that's mostly what I've been looking at. The 50 apparently would be less costly.

6. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    The Jupiter 12 35/2.8 is actually a very nice & inexpensive 35 for the Leica. It will not fit on the Olympus cameras due to the insane optics on it, but it will work very well for the film camera. Another good and less expensive option in LTM lenses are old Canon lenses. I used to have a Canon 35/1.8 & 28/3.5 that were exquisite lenses for much less than their Leica equivalents.

7. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    That would work. I have an Om Zuiko 35mm that I enjoy using on the E-M5, so it's really a 35mm for the IIIb that I'm looking for. I'll look into the Jupiter.

8. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Film version of Aloe plant

This and the previous shot of the aloe were not taken on the same day or even time of day, the digital version previously posted having been shot later, when the light, though still harsh by most standards, was starting to soften just a little. Still, I thought posting this shot of the Industar photographing the same object a bit earlier on a different by similar afternoon, would be interesting. Shot using a Leica IIIb from 1938 with the Industar 61 L/D at around f8 to 11. It was cropped on the left side, but I've never really been a 3:2 fan, even when I was shooting a lot of 35mm film.

[​IMG]

9. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yucca, blue sky

Here's a not very artful shot of a Yucca that stands beautifully against that deep blue western sky. I put the Industar 61 L/D on the E-P2 and shot it at 100 iso. Despite the dynamic range issues at that rating I've always loved what the E-P2 could produce at the lowest asa/iso, and figured a single coated lens would probably help. The more aggressive AA filter, the characteristics of the lens, everything was in place to produce the '"buttery" results I expected. (Thanks to William for the buttery conceit)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Old Glory by Comrade Industar

I couldn't resist celebrating U.S. Independence Day (July 4th) with this shot I took while testing the Soviet Industar 61 L/D 55mm. A lot has changed in the world since this lens was made in the former Soviet Union, famous in the west for the shoddy products it produced, but whose camera equipment has a little cult following. The Industar does pretty well, though, at least the copy I've got. So here's my photographic nod (to cite another holiday) to "Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men." The laws of physics -- in this case optics -- are beyond the reach of economic ideologies.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I have an Industar 50 (the slower f3.5) on my Zorki 4, I may have to try it on my OM-D if and when I get it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I like it. If the shot calls for a razor sharp rendering, I use the m.zuiko 45mm, which really is a terrific little lens, but I've gotten some shots I'm very fond of with the Industar, like this one of my very sweet dog:

P6136758.

Not super sharp, but sharp enough for the pooch portrait.

• Like Like x 1