Indoor/backyard photo project/ideas list

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by arch stanton, Jan 26, 2015.

1. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Hi all, please can you share photography ideas and/or links for a friend of mine that's stuck indoors over the winter?
    After some searching here I didn't find many threads about it - but please share the link if there's a large thread here already. Or any other indoor/winter project links!

Off the top of my head I'd lean towards macro images, I like water/ice/bubbles images a lot, backlighting them often seems to give great looking images.
    Indoor flowers make for some lovely images, but what other shots can you can get with a basic kit zoom?

Flash-lit portraits would be another line, but that can involve a lot more cash to get set up...though there's a lot you can do with a window and a cardboard reflector!
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Check out the Youtube channel, DigitalRevTV.

I believe they have 2 or 3 videos they did that address this concept. Should be a good start.
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I'm thinking of installing a bird feeder; preferably one resistant to California Ground Squirrels... I haven't really started shopping for one yet. Probably needs to be over 7ft tall or our fence would be in the photos.

We've got mockingbirds, quail, hawks, owls, doves, etc. in our neighborhood... the quail are often right behind our small yard but are very hard to see in the bushes; I wonder if they would like a feeder.

We've got hummingbirds too; maybe I should get a feeder for them as well.

Also, we got some milkweed seeds at the Pacific Grove Monarch Preserve; I'm going to plant them and maybe I can photograph some caterpillars or butterflies in the spring.