Increasing focal lenght...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by threebees, Apr 2, 2013.

1. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    My apologies if I screw up too much.

I like doing nature photography, mostly wildlife. I've used 4/3 for some time with Zuiko 70-300mm and I would have loved to use a EC14 teleconverter (or 50-200 with EC20) but just couldn't afford it. Of course, I could either afford a nice prime.

Sometimes you just have to try to get closer to get a nicer picture. But when we are talking about cocodriles you just don't want to get closer for a close-up...

I have read that it is not possible to use teleconverters for mfourthirds between lens and camera. This is why I first thought about going to legacy lens (I was thinking some 200 2.8 prime with teleconverter for some cases).

But then I thought: what if I save for a long time to get a panasonic 100-300? It would be more lightweight than a legacy lens. I know it's a great lens but sometimes I need more than 600mm equivalent for some cool closeups.

I remebered the Olympus teleconverters used for bridge and compact cameras. TCON17 and things like that.

Would it be madness to use TCON on the Pana100-300?
    Should I just go for legacy primes if I want lengh and quality?

I read that people worry about autofocus. I never really used it, neither for following birds. I did lose a lot of shots and many of them where out of focus when looked closer on the screen (and I think that I need glasses too). Ok... I am starting to worry now... I just thought it wasn't that bad to manual focus in "action" pictures.

I have been searching the forum and internet for tele lenses, native and legacy, and now I just have a list of brands and names and I'm really confused. I know that cheap lightweight and good is not always possible but...

:eek:

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    You would have to get a m4/3 to 4/3 adapter, which I'm pretty sure they don't make, to mount the tele converter to a m4/3 lens. Then a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter to mount the teleconverter. What we need is a good m4/3 teleconverter (2x) for the 75mm 1.8 to make a 150 (f3.5).

3. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I read somewhere, probably in this forum, that it is not possible to make m4/3 teleconverters, it's a pity.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nothing is impossible, it is just impractical. If they did make one it would be very expensive and have some serious limitations. This is especially true for a full 2x tele-converter.

There is an option for you however, a screw on tele-conversion lens. They degrade the IQ a little but do give the extra reach without loosing aperture. The thread of the 100-300mm is 67mm which is a little bit of an odd size so you may have to get a 72mm and a step-down ring.

5. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I've been thinking about m43 chances and my previous system. I used Olympus E300, which was really slow with autofocus with zuiko 70-300. Most of my pictures were handheld with manual focus, and I never get many good results when cropping.

In all these years cameras have advanced a lot. I'll be able to get much better pictures with a m43 with 100-300. And if I pay attention to avoid shaking the camera, I could get better images that for some occasions I could crop. It's not the best, but I'll get better results than before.

And for the rest, I'll borrow a friend's mirror tele lens and see what I can do with it for specific images. Knowing to avoid some backgrounds, I have seen some nice pictures made with them.

And I think that I'll have for a long time with this... until some teleconverter or other solution appears... someday.

Thank you very much!

6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I have also been wanting to do this with some trepidation. I want a prime lens, that is 300mm. I don't mind adapted lens but there's a lot to choose from. My budget is around $400

7. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    If your patient, a Canon 300 F4L could be had for $400. The Nikon 300 f4 ED AF seems to be a $100 more.

8. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Gary,

Canon made (at least) two FD 300mm f/4's: the "L" version and the regular version. I'm not that familiar with these lenses, but I think the primary difference is that the "L" version uses rare earth glass elements which help to minimize distortions. The L version is definitely more sought after and more valuable.

The one in the auction you linked to is the non-L regular version. Those can be found for $200 or less pretty regularly, so that does not appear to be a bargain.

10. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    No, this is a non L but basically the same optically. The L had more advanced coatings which gave it better contrast and less chromatic aberration. like this
    Canon FD 300mm F4 L Lens Perfect for 4 NEX Micro 4 3 Cameras 082966213380 | eBay

There is a big difference by all accounts. This one and the Nikon ED AF are supposedly significantly better than the other 300 legacies.

11. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Thanks...given the others are $300...I would definitely go up a couple hundred to get a much better lens.

12. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Backwards unfortunately. All the nFD lenses used the same SSC coatings except for the 50 f/1.8 which was just SC. The 300mm L lens was a 7 element/7 group optical formula and used 2 UD glass elements. The 300mm non-L lens was a 6 element/6 group design with no particularly special glass. As others have said, the L lens was a significantly better performer with its superior optical formula and materials.

13. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Okay, if I sell my oly 1.4 tele converter for $275, it'll give me about $700 to spend on a long reach lens. I have an opportunity to pick up a Tokina ATX 150-500mm for about $465. Reviews look pretty good. Part of me wants to wait for a prime with a TC....what would you guys suggest

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly? The 100-300 on its own gives you pretty massive reach. Sometimes you just can't get a whole lot closer. I really dislike manual focussing zooms, particularly zooms that are unnecessarily large and heavy for the image circle they cast.

I figure you should be able to get plenty close to crocs and get good close-ups with a 600mm equivalent lens ;)

15. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
  16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Maybe you need to pick up the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 (for 4/3) and a 2x teleconverter.

17. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Yes...that lens would be awesome indeed but I'm fond of my kidneys and don't want to part with one at the moment. :)

18. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I must have misread or misremembered! Or was mis-informed...

19. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I wanted a longer lens and then i saw a post on another forum for this:

Canon TC-DC52B 1.6x Tele End Conversion Lens 3 Groups 5 Elements

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TC-DC52B

The results posted results looked decent so for $38.50 I bought one and attached it to my P45-175mm with a 46 to 52mm step-up ring. Today i got a chance to use it. Heres the original and a 100% crop, shot handheld, iso320, in raw, converted to jpg, no sharpening. I think this combo shows some promise.

Attached Files:

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This lens that you mentioned: -> Tokina ATX 150-500mm on a Pentax Q :wink: