Inconsistant Exposure with FL-600r - Overexposed in iAuto, underexposed in manual - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dlhomesolutions, Dec 24, 2015.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Hey guys. I am new to the flash game. I need some major help here. I am using the FL-600r off camera in RC /Slave mode with my OMD Em-5 ii's flash as the trigger.

I have a problem getting consistent exposure from the flash. It either comes out almost completely black when I am in manual shooting mode or Shutter priority mode. Shooting in iAuto is way too much exposure. Do I have my settings messed up? I am including some sample images. I took all the shots with the same settings. You will see some got a nice flash from the side and some are totally worthless.

Please HELP! inconsistant exposure - woman 2. inconsistant exposure woman 1. inconsistant exposure - chair.

2. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

See if yours looks like my issue -

is my FL600R broken?

in my case it required repair from olympus.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Did you turn on RC mode on Flash and camera?

5. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Yes. RC nice is on. You can see from the pictures, I got the flash to fire but only lIke 2 out of 10 times did the exposure come out correct.

6. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Yes. I did have it on rc mode. And the remote flash on sl-a. It fired every time but only 2 out of 10 times did the exposure come out right.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Quick thoughts:

• Underexposed/black can happen when the flash is triggered too soon after the last shot and it had not had time to recycle completely. It is really easy to outshoot a little speedlight.
    • Shutter priority is NOT what you want for flash. Use aperture priority or manual.
    • If underexposed in manual, open up the aperture.
    • Trying to use autoexposure for off-camera flash could be very problematic, especially with a high contrast composition like you have. That might well be why iAuto is getting confused. I almost never use TTL automatic flash. All manual, getting the aperture correct takes maybe two test shots and leaves me, not some bunch of ignorant transistors, in charge of exposure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks. I had the aperture opened up all the way to 1.8. ISO set at 200. I had the same settings plugged into the flash and tried manual, still got nothing. It's like the shutter is capturing the subject before the flash fires maybe?

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It would be nice to see a photo with the EXIF attached so we can see all your settings. With your camera set to 1.8 and an ISO of 200, what shutter speed were you getting?

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    looking at your shots, the dark ones are exposed from just the oncamera flash - even if you set this to off the camera control panel, it still flashes. I often have to clone out pinpoints of lights in eyes.

The fact you have the remote flash set to SL-A does puzzle me

My routine is to switch on RC at the camera

When I hit the info button the default screen on the camera is the one to set the various flashes. I dont have a flash with me right now so cant remember all the options, but basically as I recall there are three groups A, B, C and the on camera flash. For each of these groups you can select Off/Manual/TTL and maybe A.

The external flash for me is always set on RC and after switching it on I control it entirely from the camera control panel

I have never done it with IAuto, I always set the cameral exposure to manual, shutter speed 1/250, and adjust aperture and flash power to get the exposure I want

this was a FLR600 shot through a Apollo Octabox

22679202979_58fd60f449_b. PB160012 by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Dude you rock. I thought if one flash, the one on my camera was set to remote, the other had to be set to slave. I thought RC mode was commander mode. I have both set to RC and I think it's going to work out. Does the front of the FL-600r need to be facing my on camera flash?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    If you can do that it obviously works best... but I have sucessfully shot at a variety of angles to the camera flash... a lot depends i think on the ambient light. Outdoors on a sunny day I believe can be more critical.

There is a setting on the camera control panel over to the right, that has a high/medium/low setting which I think controls the power of the on camera controller pulse

The basic principle is that the on camera flash sends a set of light pulses to the external flash to set it up then fires the shutter and triggers the external flash. The system is not a wireless as in radio signal system but relies on rapid light pulses.

Glad to have been a help

happy shooting

K

13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Ideally the front of the fl-600r should be facing towards the controlling flash - but not required.

I sometimes use some Apollo softboxes with the remote flash inside the softbox and just make sure the front of the flash is as close to the softboxes front diffusion panel as I can get it. So even though I'm shooting from behind and to the side the softbox, the light apparently reflects off of the subject and fires the flash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Kevin,

When you use this flash with a modifier like a shoot through umbrella what do you set the zoom at? Wide or narrow? 12mm - 42mm.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 mobile app

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    It is fairly easy to answer this type of question for your exact flash setup:

Take a picture from behind the speedlight, focusing on the umbrella. Adjust exposure until the bright blob is not blown. Now you have a nice picture of the light that your flash is throwing onto the umbrella. At the long end of the zoom, the blob of light will be smaller, at the short end it will be larger. If you move the umbrella towards the flash, the blob will get smaller. Move the umbrella away, the blob gets bigger.

In most cases IMO, your goal is to get the biggest blob you can have, subject to its not being bigger than the umbrella surface. In my experience, this is hard to do. Usually the biggest blob does not completely illuminate the umbrella, but YMMV.

Let us know.

16. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Okay cool. Thank you. Should I be firing at full power?

17. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    I notice when using RC mode I cannot set my flash to fire at full power. Any way to adjust this?

18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    In theory, the power setting should not make any difference in the coverage. However the difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, they are the same.

So, an ounce of data trumps a pound of theory: Include a few different power settings in your test series and see for yourself.

RE RC mode I have no idea. I am not a fan of automatic flash; I almost never use an automatic setting. Manual gives me predictable results and testing/setting the exposure takes just a minute or so.

19. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    How would I fire in manual mode off camera?

20. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I tend to have it set for the wider end... though not sure how much difference this makes

cheers

K