1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

In your eyes, which is the better-looking setup?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by labcoatguy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I'm curious about whether other users of adapted lenses find certain setups very good looking, and whether that affects which lenses they keep or use more often. For example, I find that the bare metal finish of my Jupiter 8 matched perfectly well with my old E-P1 and its leatherette skin, and it just looked breathtaking, if a camera can be said to do so. Now that I have an E-P2 and some Pen F lenses, I find that, of the two following lenses, one of them looks just as great on the E-P2 as the Jupiter 8 did on the E-P1, while the other, despite being only 7mm different in length and the same width, somehow looks slightly awkward and out of proportion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignoring all questions of functionality, image quality, and the like, which do you find better-looking? I already know my thoughts on this, so this poll is to determine whether my opinion is shared, and if so, if it's common or uncommon.

2. SamSam

SamSam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    It's weird, but I can't decide looking at these pictures. Maybe if you added a couple more from different angles?
    But I know what you mean. I just got a Pentax 6mm CCTV lens on my GF1 and its just breathtaking. I immediately found more lenses in classifieds last night and bought them to see what they would look like. I'm a bit ashamed of the vanity of the whole thing, but it makes me feel better to know others have similar feelings.

3. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Call me a philistine if you like, but there's nothing in it at all.

4. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I think both look very nice. Too bad that Panasonic did not choose the new old look for the GF1/2, but that gives me reason to lust for a Pen :))

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    38mm is more compact -> better looking

6. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Each gives you a different kind of more options. More options = better looking.

So: yes, they're both nice. :)

7. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Unfortunately, I can't get pictures with my cameraphone that are any better than the ones above. It's interesting that the majority of people agree with me that the 38mm f/1.8 is better-looking than the 40mm f/1.4; it may have something to do with the smaller glass area in the front of the lens vs. the total frontal area, and the fact that it's shorter. After a few days with the 40mm f/1.4 though, I'm getting more and more used to the way it looks on the E-P2, and now I'd call it a wash; with the extra speed that the 40mm gives me, it's a complete no-brainer as to which one I'm keeping. So, anyone want to buy the other lens?