1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

In The Rain - Native Bee caught out ...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, Apr 7, 2013.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    It has been raining a lot here in Bris, Oz, and now and again I find something stranded on the flowers - caught out in the weather. I got a few shots and fed it and off it went with a break in the weather.

p1080375-mark-berkery.

p1080308-mark-berkery.

p1080332-mark-berkery.

p1080371-mark-berkery.

p1080274-mark-berkery.

p1080254-mark-berkery.

p1080244-mark-berkery.

p1080238-mark-berkery.

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Is that thing alive? It doesn't look like it. I can't imagine it would like those big heavy drops of water on it.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It looks like a newborn.

4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Yes, that 'thing' is alive, it's called a bee, a Leaf-Cutter or Megachille. As the title says it got caught out. FYI bees need ambient to be above a certain temperature to fly, this one got caught out looking for food when it started to rain and the sun went in, temp dropped and it went dormant.

I doubt if like or dislike came into it, just that it got too cold too quickly for it to get to shelter. So I did what I do. I took the flower into shelter, got some shots of it as it was and as it started to warm up from my handling and closeness and moved around, then set it into a glass with paper towel for support where it eventually crawled into the paper and the water was wicked off it's body and later the sun came out and it took off.

If you were a macro shooter you would probably know such things happen, plus the obvious articulation of the body, and possibly notice in a few of the shots it appears to gripping the petal in its jaws - though that has to be deduced from the fact of it's closeness since you can't see both jaws, not having a knowledge of this bee's anatomy.

For the original post see here ; Are We There Yet? – In the Rain | Nature's Place

5. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    It may be. I have various nest sites set up in the garden and am not sure always which species is nesting as some do their work unseen down deep tunnels in the wood drilled.