In the market for a pocketable compact - recommendations

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by manju69, Aug 8, 2014.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Hi folks,

After a few days at a festival, i relayed i missed having a handy compact camera. I had my iphone but unless its broad daylight.. and still, the quality and usability is not good enough for me. (i only keep in the long term about 1 in 100 iphone shots! it's for quick pics to my family really and the occasional magic moment when it works)

I have narrowed the choices to these:

RX100 (version 1)
    Panasonic LF1
    Fuji XQ1
    Fuji XF1

The XF1 and the LF1 are half the price of the RX100 and XQ1 so are tempting. The shots from the RX100 look great and very sharp and my sense is no others come close but I wanted to check things out here. Sharp is important but not the only factor. Quick AF is and low light performance are also important to me...

Any recommendations? these or others...?? thanks in advance
  2. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have the XF1 and love it. On screen at native resolution I often mistake the images for Oly images. I went to buy an Rx100 but found it a bit too small to handle. Friend of mine keeps his in a case mainly to make it big enough.
    The XQ1 is to all intents the same camera without the quirky turn the lens to turn it on.
    The Sony images are better but the Fujis are really superb for a compact. If I lost my XF1 today I'd buy a new one tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Have you had a chance to check out the GM1? Very small and light. The lens does add depth, versus the RX100 for example, but I am more comfortable putting it into a linty pocket than I would be with a fixed/retractable lens camera (I've had a couple fixed cameras develop dust-on-sensor issues).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    I did look but with the 20mm it looks as if becomes quite bulgy in a pocket.. but am still considering it -plus it's a bit above my budget.
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My wife has the XF1. She's happy. I like using it.

But if it were my camera I was shopping for, my first choice would be the RX100 (latest version you can afford)
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The XF1 is really handy and it's also dirt cheap right now. It's my pocket camera.
  7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK

Thanks- the samples look good enough for me and it is really cheap right now! Interesting...
  8. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    I have RX100 and bought xf1 to my wife. RX100 takes a couple seconds to open, but it can be operable with one hand vs you need to open the XF1 zoom mechanically by hand like the Oly kit zooms so you need your second hand for that, not a direct quick P&S in my book unless it is in that position. So check it out both if you have a chance.

For low light performance, I used it RX100 last 2 years with no problem though you have to watch min 1/30sec shutter speed for auto ISO as it gets hard to hand hold it. Its high ISO is good esp at the wide end for night shots and even the family members can shoot with no problems. Here are some shots from Istanbul trip 2 years ago:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The only truly "pocketable" compact that I can live with is the Canon S120. It replaced my aging S90.
  10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    The panasonic LX cameras are fine cameras, excellent manual controls and some really neat features...provided it fits your size requirements they are a top choice.

Either way, might be worth your while to wait a month an see what passes at Photokinia, Panasonic is strongly rumored to be releasing a fast fixed lens m43 sensor compact and a 1" sensor (same as RX100) vario compact as well...both, I suspect will fit very neatly into the high performance compact category you are looking for, and dare I say it, both will be more versatile and feature rich than the RX100s. Even if you don't get either of these 2 new compacts, many will and as a result, I expect to see a some nice price drops on the current 'high end' compacts.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I like the RX100 series cameras but they are just a little bit to thick for me to comfortably carry one in my jeans pocket, they are about 37mm thick vs 29mm for the Canon S120 and 28 for the Panasonic LF1.

I was using a Canon S95 as a pocket camera for a long time and the S series Canons have all been good pocket camera choices right from the 90 to the 120 so the 120 was what I was looking at initially.

But occasionally in bright sunlight I found the rear screen of the S95 really difficult to use so when the Panasonic DMC LF-1 came along, a compact with a viewfinder!

Well that sealed the deal for me. No the EVF isn't the best but on those sunny days it's a LOT better than no EVF at all and the camera itself works great, it's got a bit more zoom range than the S series but it suffers from less CA in the corners of the image. I am very happy with mine.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    IMO, RX100 is the only pocket P&S worth buying, otherwise I would just stick with iPhone. I've been using RX100 for the past two years as a compliment to m43 system. It produces great jpeg color with accurate WB, and video quality is outstanding (even audio). All metal build quality is superb. The images are 100% DSLR quality (outstanding Zeiss optics) except for lack of DoF control which is a big plus for P&S anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
    • Like Like x 1
  13. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I second the Panasonic LX cameras. I used the LX5 for several years before passing it on to my son.
  14. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Thanks everyone. I just found an RX100 going on eBay for a very good price so snapped it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    This. I have the Mark I, Will soon buy a second mark I as a spare since I have a scuba housing for it. Fantastic little camera, the the original is the slimmest and cheapest of the lot.