In search of a GX8 L-bracket

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MegletRamblesOn, Sep 28, 2016.

1. MegletRamblesOn

MegletRamblesOn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I've been keeping an eye on the accessories forum since getting my Panasonic GX8 last year, and I haven't seen any news of an L-style quick-release plate from anyone but Really Right Stuff.

This week I am road-tripping out and about with my first really heavy tripod use since getting the GX8, and find myself seriously missing that L-bracket flip that I used to have with my Canon.

Before I drop the ridiculous $120 on the RRS bracket, has anyone found a 3rd party/etc bracket which will fit the GX8? I didn't see any when I checked Amazon and Ebay, unless there's some compatibility with one for another camera that I don't know about.

Thanks.

2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I use a universal adjustable L-bracket from Sunwayfoto (purchased through B&H if I recall correctly) originally bought to use on a G5, but also used it on EM5 and other cameras. Doesn't fit as tightly as the RRS bracket would, but cost about $80 less...

3. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I used a generic l-bracket while in Iceland and it was so annoying not being able to get to the battery and card. It was also a lot bigger, so I pulled the trigger on the RRS one. Generic ones are cheap (payed 10€ for mine) so you can try one and see if you need the expensive one. Unfortunately being in europe I payed way more than 120$....

4. MegletRamblesOn

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    The battery and card access are the big things I'm worried about with a generic, non-GX8 bracket. I think I will take one more spin through Amazon, Ebay, and B&H this weekend then suck it up and pay the RRS fee.

I'm pretty sad my preferred brand (Kirk Photo) hasn't made a GX8 bracket, they made the one I used on my Canon and I would drop $120 for their version without even hesitating based on my previous experience.

5. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The RRS ones are really just perfect with no drawbacks other than price. If you would have spent 120$ on the kirk one, than you should have no objections against the RRS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MegletRamblesOn

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Cool, thanks for the info. I had a bit of inspiration late yesterday and have sent off an email to Kirk Photo to ask about a GX8 bracket, if they say "nope, not in the plans" then I'll go with the RRS bracket.