In search of a GX8 L-bracket

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MegletRamblesOn, Sep 28, 2016.

1. MegletRamblesOn

MegletRamblesOn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I've been keeping an eye on the accessories forum since getting my Panasonic GX8 last year, and I haven't seen any news of an L-style quick-release plate from anyone but Really Right Stuff.

This week I am road-tripping out and about with my first really heavy tripod use since getting the GX8, and find myself seriously missing that L-bracket flip that I used to have with my Canon.

Before I drop the ridiculous $120 on the RRS bracket, has anyone found a 3rd party/etc bracket which will fit the GX8? I didn't see any when I checked Amazon and Ebay, unless there's some compatibility with one for another camera that I don't know about.

Thanks.

2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I use a universal adjustable L-bracket from Sunwayfoto (purchased through B&H if I recall correctly) originally bought to use on a G5, but also used it on EM5 and other cameras. Doesn't fit as tightly as the RRS bracket would, but cost about $80 less...

3. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    I used a generic l-bracket while in Iceland and it was so annoying not being able to get to the battery and card. It was also a lot bigger, so I pulled the trigger on the RRS one. Generic ones are cheap (payed 10€ for mine) so you can try one and see if you need the expensive one. Unfortunately being in europe I payed way more than 120$....

4. MegletRamblesOn

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    The battery and card access are the big things I'm worried about with a generic, non-GX8 bracket. I think I will take one more spin through Amazon, Ebay, and B&H this weekend then suck it up and pay the RRS fee.

I'm pretty sad my preferred brand (Kirk Photo) hasn't made a GX8 bracket, they made the one I used on my Canon and I would drop $120 for their version without even hesitating based on my previous experience.

5. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    The RRS ones are really just perfect with no drawbacks other than price. If you would have spent 120$ on the kirk one, than you should have no objections against the RRS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MegletRamblesOn

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Cool, thanks for the info. I had a bit of inspiration late yesterday and have sent off an email to Kirk Photo to ask about a GX8 bracket, if they say "nope, not in the plans" then I'll go with the RRS bracket.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.