1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

In praise of wrist straps

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dancebert, Aug 20, 2015.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I expect nothing that follows will contain anything new for wrist strap fans.

I've always used neck straps attached to lugs, worn cross body (bandolier) style, for non-P&S cameras. Most of my photography was done in sessions, that is, go shoot a specific time and place for an hour or so.

Traveling with a DSLR revealed the shortcomings of a crossbody neck strap. A thoughtless body movement would swing the camera, or worse, after I'd tucked the camera behind the small of my back, a thoughtless body movement would SWING THE CAMERA (insert Mr. Bill sound effect here). That troubled me.

After buying the O12-40 I tried and was surprised how much I liked a wrist strap, or at least the Joby model I bought. I decided to try a wrist strap on a 6 week trip, thinking I could buy a cheap neck strap along the way if needed.

During the trip I realized a wrist strap is far superior for my travel and my camera and lens combinations (EM10, O9-18, P14-45, O40-150). It's faster and easier to get off a shot. Best non-photo aspect of a wrist strap is being able to securely hold the camera around the lens mount, leaving some fingers and the end of the thumb free to assist in accessing and using something from my backpack, wallet or pocket. It also lets me remove or preposition my glasses to read something. I put the camera in a small back pack when needing it seems highly unlikely.

One of the reasons I selected a m43 system camera was light weight for a travel set with good technical image quality. That light weight means my 60 year old hands can carry with a wrist strap long enough for me not to notice any discomfort.

From the trip, my favorites of El Jadida Morocco
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/98341917@N08/sets/72157655459681726

• Like Like x 2
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have used both for years. The neck strap makes lens changing much easier; two hands free. I like it for tourist travel. Also, looking like a tourist, I feel more permission to shoot everything and everyone I see. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I too am a big fan of wrist straps, though I don't dangle the camera from the strap normally. I still hold onto the camera, but it makes it feel more secure to me and I can't imagine carrying a camera around without one. I can't stand a camera hanging from my neck. I have tried it and it just doesn't work for me. If I don't want to hold the camera all the time, I have a small bag I put it in and vary the bag over my shoulder. I know I could do that with a camera strap, but that never feels secure to me. Besides, the bag gives me some place to store another lens or two and an extra battery.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Wrap the neck strap around your wrist....simple....best of both worlds.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Done this for decades

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I love my Op-Tech braided wrist strap, and it's my preferred strap overall. But with really heavy lenses and/or when you're out for a while doing photography and not keeping the camera in a bag it's nice to have a neck/shoulder strap. So I will use both depending on situation.

Which reminds me, I need to buy a nice shoulder strap that is easily detachable and still secure.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I liked wrist straps too, but stopped to use them when I started getting better grips on cameras (oem or diy).

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I don't like neck straps either, after years of using one. I used one on my Canon DSLR, but the last straw was when the camera swung around my side and crashed into a railing. If it wasn't for the screen protector I put on the display, the display would have been permanently cracked.

I keep a wrist strap more or less permanently attached to the camera. But, I also use an OpTech sling strap and clip the camera to it when I need to free my hands or change lenses. Much more secure and comfortable. When I'm shooting, I usually unclip the camera from the sling and use it with the wrist strap as a safety.

9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use and have used both along with hand grip style straps which I used with my Canon 5D Mk.II which I found to be comfortable to use on larger cameras although if I still owned the Canon, I'd probably put on a Artisan & Artist EZ Slider so that I could wear it cross body and cinch it up against my body when not in use.

With smaller cameras like my E-M5 Mk.II and Fuji X100T, I use and prefer the Artisan & Artist Silk Cord. It's rounded, very flexible, soft to the touch yet very strong and allows me to use the camera around my neck or with the strap wrapped around my wrist. The material being made of braided silk is extremely comfortable against the skin. It also allows me to use two cameras at a time since I keep one camera around my neck and the other wrapped around my wrist. When shooting with the the camera around my neck, I can release the camera from my hand, which then dangles from my wrist. Lastly, when the camera gets stowed away in my bag, the strap wraps around the lens barrel tidily and easily.

In the below pic are the A&A Silk Cord on my E-M5 Mk.II and X100T as well as an A&A Woven Cloth Wrist Strap on the Trip 35.

19893920311_710576fda9_b.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Another plus for the wrist strap: you'll normally have your camera in hand with the strap acting as a safety net. Great for Olympus users who should be concerned about sudden, catastrophic lug failure (not to single out Olympus, other cameras may suffer in a similar manner).

11. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't like hanging camera over body.
    While I love photography, I don't want to bind myself to the photography. When camera is hanging under my neck and shoulder, it makes me conscious that I'm having a camera, and I'm in the middle of shooting process. It makes me more photo-centric trip whether it's daily life or travel, and that's not what I am doing. I travel because I want to travel, not because want to photograph. Thus, wrist strap rather than neck strap for me.

IMG_1353.

And M4/3 is perfect format for my mindset. If I have a more bigger mirrorless system I am not able to forget I'm carrying it. There's substantial physical difference between APS-C and M4/3 Lenses. And the difference affects even more on my mind than physical burden itself. With APS-C lenses it's hard to carrying like above but for Micro 4/3 lenses, I have the carrying-around-the-waist option. And IQ is great almost as APS-C for sure. I once had a sony sensored Nikon DSLR, so I know that. Micro 4/3 has outstanding flexibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I replace all my straps with thin straps like the ones that came with cameras 30+ years ago and wrap around the wrist when shooting. I bought a length of the material (can't remember type) fittings and cut to length in bright purple and blue, I need to get some more hopefully I can find green this time.

13. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I always use a wrist strap, but if I'm out with the family I use a cross-shoulder strap which attaches to the camera's tripod mount. This makes it a lot easier if I end up carrying my youngest son. I carry him with my left arm (this is getting harder as he gets heavier!), right arm free, and have the camera sitting on my right hip ready to grab. With a neck strap I found I was at risk of clouting the boys round the head with the camera when I bent down to speak to them!

14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Have you had that happen to you? Lug failure, that is. I wonder how common that is.

15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I did this for a long time before I bought an actual wrist strap. I find a wrist strap more comfortable and more confidence inspiring. I never had full confidence that the next strap wouldn't come unwrapped if I accidentally dropped the camera.

16. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Fortunately not, it's just what I've read on the forums, both here and elsewhere. Users reporting damage to both camera and lens (if you're lucky they may repair the camera even if it's out of warranty, but what about a smashed 3rd party lens?).
    Taking the Olympus OMD as an example, the lugs are separate components bolted with the screwheads internal, so no user access. A better design may have cast the lugs as part the main chassis, or external screw heads to allow a pre-flight.
    With a wrist strap, and speaking for myself, I normally have my mitts hanging onto the camera. As said before, I only use the wrist strap as a fail safe, assuming the lug doesn't give way at the instant that a shock load is applied.

Edit: for extra security one could cross couple the two lugs using a thin unobtrusive line, e.g. a fishing line, both linked to the wrist strap. The chances of two lugs failing simultaneously, or in cascade, is probably classed as remote, with failure rates exceedingly low.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I favor wrist straps and all my cameras have them. Arg is dead on, however, about changing lenses being easier on a neck strap. I normally have a small bag, Domke 5XA, to carry the camera when I need both hands or to help changing lenses. Of course, I often bring just one lens and the wrist strap.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've always wanted to try those A&A Silk Cords, but so far the price has kept me at bay. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ikonography

ikonography Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013
    Ottawa, Canada
    Peter Marshall
    I did too, but with wide angle shots it bugged me how often the strap managed to get in the image (or blocked the viewfinder or screen). I switched to a wrist strap on my em5 almost a year ago and never went back. I seldom dangle though, one lug just doesn't seem quite enough insurance.

• Agree Agree x 2