In praise of Olympus' new hood design

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by wjiang, Feb 17, 2017.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Having tried a bunch of stuff at an Olympus event, I was impressed by the new lens hood locking design for the 25mm and 12-100 Pro lenses.

They feature a spring-loaded button for unlocking the hood sort of like the 12-40, but the button is a single small, recessed thing rather than two giant buttons that get accidentally pressed easily.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Yeah, they are pretty nice. My Canon 100-400 has a similar design, but I am glad Olympus has moved to this.

3. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    That's good to hear. I've managed to accidently 'unlock' the hood on my 12-40mm several times just carrying the camera and lens slung over my shoulder.

Simon.

4. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I noticed with my 12-40 hood that only one of the buttons actually releases the hood. The way I carry my camera, upside-down at my right hip, the one facing me happened to be the one that released the hood... but putting the hood on upside-down (ie, olympus branding facing down when the camera is in landscape mode) fixed the issue.

When the hood is reversed, the opposite button is the release (hence why there is two I guess), but my mounting the hood in reverse agin solves the issue.

I can't speak to all hoods, as I bought mine new at Christmas time, but this seemed to solve the accidental release issue; which happened first for me within days of getting the lens. Good to hear Olympus is capable of learning... think they'll release updates ever?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I just don't understand why Olympus feels the need to add the spring loaded buttons to these lens hoods. I've never had issues with the typical bayonet-mount hoods on nearly every lens I own.

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Hood design on Olympus has been weak, except for the 40-150 f2.8. It retracts . Is substantial and durable. The 75 hoods were always falling off and the 12- 40 was very flimsy and fell apart spontaneously. I never replaced it. The 60mm macro has a nice screw on hood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The 40-150 hood has been known to explode. The 12-40 hood was just extremely poorly designed. I hadn't heard of any issues with the 75mm hood, and generally though that thumb-screw hoods worked well.

But why can't Olympus just use a basic, bayonet mount? Panasonic uses it on their lenses, and I never had a single issue with any of those lens hoods. My 50-200 SWD has a basic bayonet hood, and it works great. I don't understand why they feel to need to overcomplicate something as simple as a lens hood.

• Wow Wow x 1
  8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I love the 40-150 hood design personally. I wish there was a similar alternative to use on the 50-200 and others. I did have a 12-40mm lens cap explode like many others. Olympus sent me a replacement. In the meantime after some trial and error, I figured out how to fix it. Nice looking, but poorly manufactured. I guess anything's better than not including a hood with lens purchase.

9. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Ditto!

10. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hood on the 12-40 doesn't really do much except protect the glass a little via protuding a bit anyway because it's got to accommodate the wider angle zoom range. I stopped using it a long time ago. I can use my cap or some flat stock I carry in my Lowepro Zoom 55 Toploader if I need something.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had to fix mine too. I also wish they'd make them tethered. I had to take a little finish off the center to make a Sensei Cap Keeper Plus not keep falling off. Finally I also added some Superglue.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I plan on switching to a regular screw-in metal hood for my 40-150mm 2.8. The OEM hood is a bit too bulky for my taste. I would of preferred a regular snap-in bayonet hood instead. Also, I'm planning to use a 62mm to 67mm step-up adapter on the 12-40mm to replace the hood. The 12-40mm controls flare incredibly well compared to other lenses so the step-up adapter will just be used to protect the front element and allow the lens to rest on a flat surface without the lens actually touching the table (protect it from scruffs).

13. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Look for a Canon ET-78II, apparently it fits perfectly.

See the post a few down in:
    Alternative to 40-150mm f/2.8 hood?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

If my 40-150 hood explodes that's what I'll be doing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

That's all I use mine for - protection. It also helps keep rain off the front element.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    totally agree, I have about 3 12-40 hoods in stock, and gaffer tape the hood to the lens, it's a real pain. Liking the 12-100 hood as well, wish they would make the mechanism on all the hoods.

17. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I'm on my second 12-40 hood. First one popped a spring in New Zealand.

18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The 60 uses a bayonet mounted hood that retracts over the lens, a bit like the 40-150 Pro hood. I use a JJC version that is a lot less expensive than the Olympus one. :)

19. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012

Perhaps mine is an older model.

20. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I don't think that it has changed. Try looking at the front of the lens and see if it has a bayonet mount on the front. It'll be pretty obvious. I did use a threaded lens hood before I got the JJC one.