In need of a silent camera (maybe Fuijifilm X100)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello all! I find myself in need of help in my thinking.

Yesterday I was in a situation where I couldn't take a picture because of the silent surroundings and the silent mood. Many people around and I missed a great opportunity to a great photograph because of my quite loud Oly E-P2.

I find myself quite often in these situations and it is on those very intime settings where I want to be able to take photos.

I really love the m43 platform, I've already invested a little in it; Oly 45 1.8, Panasonic 14 2.5 etc. But I find my camera a little bit to loud in a lot of the settings where I want to take pictures.

I've been thinking about the Fuijifilm X100. It is silent and I could live with just the 35mm eq. It could be a great tool in these intime settings where I want to take photos. I find the Fuiji X1 pro to expensive, with lens too.. The 1000€ is the limit. So the x1 pro isn't an option.

I also love my m43 setup.

What should I do? Sell off my m43 setup? Or just buy the Fuiji X100? How I can use both systems so they complement each other?

Just help me think guys...

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you sell off your m43 gear, do you really think you can live with the limitations of the Fuji (like a non-interchangeable fixed focal length lens)? IMHO, the Fuji does some things very well, but isn't really a replacement for a camera system.

Can you afford to buy the Fuji if you keep the m43? If so, I think they complement each other very well. If not, maybe look for a less expensive adjunct to m43.

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I find us photographers are much more sensitive and self-conscious about shutter sounds than most people would be. Try this, put the camera on a self-timer, 5ft, then 10ft away to get a sense of really how loud it is or isn't. A leather half-case may provide just enough sound dampening, and they do look quite cool :)

The X100 with its leaf shutter is a very quiet little gem tho.

4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I have X100. And yes, it is very quiet. Almost silent. It is one of its feature that I really like. Very stealthy indeed.

But there are also times that I am limited because of the fixed focal non-interchangeable lens.

I want a system to compliment my X100. I have DSLR system but sold it and jump in M43 world (size issue). M43 image quality is more than enough for my needs.

If I were you, I will not sell my M43 system. I would suggest you to buy used X100. Whenever I go on a photo walk, I bring my E-PL2 with 45mm and my X100 with me.

5. The Canon G1X is also as quiet as a mouse, although to be honest I quite like the sound of the m4/3 shutters.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Nikon 1 system is silent, fast, small, interchangeable.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If I didn't love telephoto stuff so much, I could live with just the X100. If most of your shots are taken between in the "normal" range, you will learn to zoom with your feet. Or you will learn to compose differently.

Hang onto your m4/3 system for awhile just in case you can't live without it. I've kept mine, but most of the time it sits on the sidelines. I love my X100.

I have no experience with the X10......it might be as quiet and it's quite a bit cheaper. Maybe that is an option, too. The IQ is a step down, but still more than most will ever use. Who prints large prints....raise your hand?

8. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    This might be a bit out there but would you consider shooting film? A good rangefinder is dead quiet and can be had between 50 and a couple hundred euros in fantastic condition.

9. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    A tiny Ricoh GRD III OR IV might be a good option. Quiet, excellent zone focus. Small sensor, though; depends on your ultimate use of the photos.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Another option is the Canon S100. Also a smaller sensor, but bigger than most P&S cameras and good performance for the class. Depends on how important real low light capability is.

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    S100 is a good choice, especially if you want zoom capability. X100 and GRD are fixed focal length.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Do you need quiet and low light or just quiet? Do you need a zoom? For quiet and low light, its tough to beat the X100, although the Ricoh GXR is pretty close to as quiet (not quite dead silent, but REALLY quiet). If you don't need low light, but would like more of a zoom, almost any good compact will do. The S100, The LX5, the X10, you name it, are all dead silent and all have some degree of zoom. If you need low light AND zoom, things get tougher. The X10 is pretty good in low light and dead silent and the lens is still f2.8 out at the 100mm equivalent long end. If you're going to be shooting into strong light sources, though, the orbs could be an issue. Maybe the new Ricoh 24-85 equivalent zoom for the GXR - not sure its quiet, but the GXR 28 and 50mm lens units are very quiet - just a very slight shutter sound that you have to be close to the camera and listening for it to hear.

-Ray

13. tbhv55

tbhv55 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    Devon
    Ray has summed it up pretty well... I would add that the x100 is a magnificent photography tool, provided that it suits your shooting requirements, and that you find it pleasing to use. It's definitely a little quirky (this is well-documented on any forum), but I have to admit to enjoying it immensely. Take note, though, that it really does take time to get to get "tuned-in" to it. I have been into photography for 30+ years, and have therefore used many types of camera, but it still took me several weeks to get properly into my stride with the x100. Sometimes you'll curse its idiosyncrasies, but mostly, when you get the results, you'll sing its praises. I would definitely advise handling one before purchasing - and not just for a few seconds... give it a good workout (if the shop will let you).

The x10 is also superb, and of course also has zoom capability. Naturally it can't match its elder brother in low light, but that said, it is VERY impressive - better than any compact of my experience. I understand that the "white orbs" issue will be dealt with by Fuji (in the UK at least) by replacing the sensor free-of-charge, once it has been brought into production (end of May has been quoted). The x10 is very much worth considering. It is also well within your stated budget of €1000, and that could leave some funding for accessories.

M4/3 is a great format, but for the particular use that you have described, either the x10 or the x100 should be well-suited, as they are both capable of silent operation.

Good luck with your decision...

14. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The silence is partially found :)

Thanks all for your thoughts!

I've finally made a decision :)

I really love my m43 gear and I don't want to part from it. And X100 is to expansive. The cameras with smaller sensors than m43 aren't an option for me.

But I reached a compromise. I found a way to turn off the autofocus beep (maybe you all know about it but it is new to me). That actually makes my E-P2 a lot more silent. I think that the autofocus beeps is what makes people nervous (if you are trying to find the right focus spot a lot of times before taking the shot). To me the autofocus beep is much worse then the shutter sound. And I am going to try to find a half leather case for my E-P2 (that could dampen the shutter sound a little, like someone suggested?).

And I sealed the deal (to stay with my m43 gear) by ordering the Oly VF-3 (I know the VF-2 is better but I found the VF-3 for an unbeatable prize) :)

I love my E-P2 even more know!

15. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    The E-P2 has an autofocus beep? Huh - guess I've been so busy playing with my MF primes on it, I've never really used the kit lens more thn once or twice. :)

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    We all took for granted that you've turned all sounds/beeps/whatever off. Turning off all sounds is usually the first thing I do with a new camera, gadget, cell phone etc.

17. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Is there more sounds to turn off than the autofocus beep?

I just didn't know that I could turn that off... Just didn't think about it really. At first I just thought about the shutter sound that can't be turned off. But I read somewhere about the autofocus sound - and when I turned it off it suddenly hit me that I am really satisfied with the way my E-P2 sound right now :)

Hopefully I can get away with just the shutter sound, maybe after I've put on a half leather case on my E-P2...

Well, know I am awaiting my viewfinder who are going to seal the deal I made about staying with m43 :)

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    That's probably it for your E-P2, but I've seen p&s's with settings for the shutter, basically playing some sound when the shutter is triggered. Friend of mine set it to a wolf-howl. I thought it was irritating.

19. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I use a Canon G11, it's very quiet and surprisingly good at ISO 1600. The newer model is the G12, and the S line is the same camera in a different body (S90, 95 and 100). It's so quiet I can barely tell when a picture has been taken. It's not very fast though.