1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

In need of a new lens...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mesmerized, Apr 11, 2016.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Dear Users,

I have an E-M5mk2 + 14-150mk2 combo and I'd like to add a new lens to my modest collection. Possibly, a portrait lens or a macro lens. I've been looking at Leica 42,5mm (gosh, it is expensive!) and other lenses of similar focal length (i.e. Panny 42,5mm f/1.7 and Olly 45mm 1.8mm) What I hear and see Leica is the sharpest, next is Panny and then Olly. I was also considering the 75mm f/1.8 lens but it's also pricey. Now, here's the thing that will really rock the boat. Once the Fuji X-T2 is out, I'm intending to get that camera just for one purpose - to hook it up with one of those brilliant 56mm lenses. I know, sounds insane, since I already have E-M5, but for me E-M5 was bought out of necessity, since at that time it suited all my needs. Anyway, under the above mentioned circumnstances, would you recommend one of the cheap 45mm lenses for my Olly, or... a 60mm macro lens from Olympus instead, and simply to wait for X-T2 to come out and then use it for portraits mainly/only?

I realize this might sound somewhat odd, but hope to get your insights.

Thanks!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't see much point getting both systems but... don't bother with the Nocticron or 75mm if you really want that 56mm f/1.2. They are all top of the line portrait lenses, you don't need them all unless you just have cash to burn.

If the 56mm is what you're after, go get that lens and use it on a used X-T1, they aren't that expensive anymore and with firmware 4.0 finally got good autofocus. When the X-T2 comes out you can trade up.

Unless you need true 1:1 macro, you could trade the 14-150 for the 12-40. It is better in almost every way except reach, and does 0.3x macro. Alternatively you could get something like a Raynox DCR-150 or 250 which would give very good macro with your 14-150.

3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    As you want a prime for Macro and (or) for portrait work, the first lens that came to my mind is the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro.
    It was my first portrait lens. And like you, at that time I also wanted to try Macro.
    I must say that it is a very good lens for both proposes.
    During some time, I ended up using it more for portrait work than for Macro.
    A few years later I've purchased the Olympus 75mm and now I use the 60mm exclusively for Macro.

4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Agreed. If that 56 is the goal, get it now. I haven't followed XT2 rumors closely, but it's expected to be very much the same but with the new 24mp sensor right? Get a used XT1, you may find you don't even want to get the XT2, and if you do, the XT1 will only depreciate a little in the meantime.

5. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    The Nocticon is a stellar lens, one of the best for m4/3, but it is expensive. Maybe not so bad when you factor in buying a new body just for the Fuji 56mm? The 56 will have the edge is shallow depth of field, but the Nocticron can also obliterate backgrounds and cause problems with getting enough in focus wide open. At any rate, the 42.5 1.7 and 45 1.8 are also very good, and relative bargains, but they don't have the same special quality that the Nocticron and Fuji 56 provide. There's also the Voigtlander 42.5 0.95 if manual focus isn't an issue.

If you want to do portrait and macro in one lens, the 60mm is very good at both.

6. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Thank you all for those replies!

I used to have X-T1. It had a few quirks that X-T2 won't have. The focusing was a pain too. Don't get me wrong, I love my E-M5mk2. It feels better than X-T1 in every respect... but one. The sensor. And the 56mm lens is such a brilliant piece of glass. The shallow depth of field it produces is just unbelievable...

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    How serious do you want to do portraiture? You can get professional quality portraits with Oly 45 f1.8/ Pana 42.5 f1.7 easy without spending that much money. I like Jaime's suggestion of the Oly 60mm f2.8.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very good point. The XT-2 will probably be $1400 when launched. Add in a used 56mm and you are at about $2000. That's a lot more than a 42.5mm f1.2 will cost for the camera you already have.

Unless you are going to switch wholesale over to Fujifilm, the 42.5mm may be the cheaper option vs maintaining two camera bodies and straddling system.

And if you just want mega-blur, the 75mm f1.8 can certainly do that, albeit from a few steps farther back.

9. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Have you considered A7II with either the new G Master 85/1.4 or Batis 85/1.8? XT2 + 56 won't save you much over the Sony offering, plus you'd get even better sensor, and not loosing IS.

The O45 probably makes the most sense as a stop gap lens. It's good and cheap! Don't try the Nocticron. It may very well change your opinion about the Fuji 56.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tkbslc

That's got to cost $1500 more than the Fuji+56mm option, wouldn't it? A7 II and 85mm GM are $1700-1800 each.

I was thinking along similar lines, but something like the Nikon D610 with a Sigma 85mm f1.4. That's probably actually cheaper than the Fuji setup and a almost a stop more DOF control.

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've had the 45/1.8 almost from the first u43 camera I bought and it's a great lens. Damien McGillicuddy, a top level fashion professional, uses it as his main studio lens. I picked up a Nocticron a year ago and decided not to keep it. Yes, it's better than the 45, but the difference is less than you might think. I wouldn't buy the Noc unless you absolutely need to do dedicated portrait work.

12. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    I expect the XT2 to cost around $1700, so the price difference is just between the lenses. To my eyes, both the GM and Batis 85 are superior than Fuji56 in overall rendering. Sigma 85 is great but not in the same league as the top of the line performers. Just my perferrence. :laugh: I owned Sigma 85/1.4, Nikon 85/1.8 G and D, and Pentax 77/1.8. All are great portrait lenses, but I don't miss any of them except the Pentax 77.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Thank you for offering your advice!

I know, it sounds a bit strange that I want to invest in another camera just for the sake of getting one lens, but for some reason I can't get over the fact that due to the sensor's size, I'll never really get very shallow depth of field... Never thought it'd bother me that much :|

14. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Forget about X mount and go FF. A7II/A7RII + GM85. This should solve your shallow DoF syndrome once for all. Fuji56 won't do it! :biggrin:
    Seriously tho, go to flickr or other photo sites and check many many many sample photos of Nocticron, Fuji 56, and GM 85. Pick your favorite lens then go with it.

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    An A7 II + Canon EF adapter + Canon 85/1.8 would be the same price as the Fuji option and would give you just as much blur but with a lot more options for cheap, fast Canon lenses and IBIS, too.

APS-C seems like a middle child that only has real advantages if there are very specific features available on the bodies or lenses that you absolutely need (like Pentax's emphasis on weather-sealing, for instance, or Fuji's control scheme or XPro OVF). Comparable APS-C kits are generally as big and expensive as FF options, whereas M4/3 kits are not directly comparable, but much smaller and cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    If you really need super shallow depth of field, then the difference between APS-C and m43 is not that big. Buy a full frame kit. A FF kit will complement your m43 kit well, but having a APS-C kit and m43 kit is pretty redundant to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I dunno, mesmerized. You've been poking around with the jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none 14-140 and never seen how well your EM5 will work with the fast and sharp primes. Maybe by your standards, it will never work very well, but do you have other experiences to know this?

Me, I really like the 75mm and the 45mm. What's also fun is a beater legacy 50mm on my crappy RJ focal reducer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Yeah, well... it was part of the set. At that time it felt like a safer choice and it was cheaper than the combo with 12-40lens...

19. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yes but I believe HarryS's point was that you stated "I can't get over the fact that due to the sensor's size, I'll never really get very shallow depth of field..." but it would appear this is based on your experience with ONE lens that isn't particularly fast in aperture.

DoF is determined by aperture, focal length of lens, and your distance to your subject. The choice of sensor size has an effect on the DoF because it will influence the focal length you may use and the distance to your subject you will use. A much faster aperture lens will have a significant improvement on the DoF over what you are currently experiencing. So to poo-poo micro-4/3rds in general because your 14-150mm slow aperture lens isn't giving you the DoF you want is a bit unfair. It is very possible to get a shallow depth of field with 4/3rds with the right lens that both gives you the aperture you want and camera to subject distance you want to achieve that.

20. tkbslc

I have had some shallow DOF lust lately, but what happens is that you look at 85mm f1.8 on FF and see that it looks just like 56mm f1.2 on Fuji. And then you compare the 56mm f1.2 to the 42.5mm f1.2 and see there's barely any difference. And then you compare the 42.5mm f1.2 to the 42.5mm f1.7 and see that they are just a tiny step apart in most conditions So then you realize you can get really great results on a $350 lens that has OIS and fits in your pants pocket.

That's what happened to me anyway. And if you have the 75mm f1.8 and a little room, you can get phenomenally blurry backgrounds.

So here's your path to zen:

FF vs 56mm f1.2: More Fuji vs Canon Lenses - 85mm F1.2 vs 56mm F1.2 - Ottawa Wedding & Portrait Photography
    56mm f1.2 vs 42.5mm f1.2: Fuji 56mm f/1.2 vs. Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 Nocticron - Admiring Light
    42.5mm f1.2 vs 42.5mm f1.7: Click on bokeh comparison toward bottom: Review Panasonic 42.5 mm f/1.7 | Panasonic lens review | Lens | Reviews
    or down toward bottom of this one: Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 Review (with Olympus 45mm/Nocticron 42.5mm comparison)

It's all expensive and tiny baby steps that mean nothing for actual photography for most people.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 4