1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

In need of a new camera bag as my E-M5 kit is growing - which one?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ramirez, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    As I recently added the splendid HLD-6 battery grip for my OM-D E-M5, I´m in need of a new camera bag.

I don't want it to be too big but it'll need to have room for:

- Gripped OM-D (both parts mounted)
    - My lenses; m.Zuiko 12-50 & 40-150R, Sigma 30 EX DN
    - At least room for still another lens (future proof) - that makes it at least 3 lenses separate (1 can be mounted on the OM-D)
    - SEMA (adapter and mic for m43)
    - Room for spare memory cards, batteries etc.

Any recommendations are much appreciated!

2. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Billingham Hadley pro :) love it, such s versatile bag.

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Gonna check it out! Thanks!

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    There is a really great thread here on bags:

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/index111.html

You will see a bunch of options and the amount of m4/3 (and other) gear that will fit inside.

I used and like the Domke F-5XB/A bags a bunch, but more recently have been using Timbuk2 inserts in standard messenger style bags (Tom Bihn).

Good luck!

5. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
  6. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I use a Think Tank Retrospective 7; perhaps could get by with a 5, but prefer not cramming it in. Reasonable priced.

Well-made, easy to configure. I can carry 2 bodies, 4 lenses, batteries, etc.

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  8. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
    Which specific Tom Bihn bag(s) are you using?

Thanks

9. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Great set of photos. What it doesn't show is how small the back actually is, as the photos are so good of the interior and crop is tight there is no perspective. It is a very compact bag. Further more, with all that, I can also fit my 13" Macbook Air in it :)

I also have the Billingham 555 but mainly use that for my Mamiya gear or as an overnight bag :) Both in tan, and it is nicely coordinated.

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Here's a blogger's review that includes a pic of him modeling the bag. The reviewer uses it for its traditional role carrying DLSR gear.

http://www.thewsreviews.com/2010/02/billingham-hadley-pro.html

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Ramirez!

I've got a fully gripped E-M5 and found myself in the same situation.

My solution is here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/index110.html#post496387

It's the Domke F3-X, running about $129 U.S. It holds more than I had expected but isn't a 'big' bag. Easily swallows the E-M5 with the Panasonic 45-200mm lens mounted (hood reversed) while still allowing storage for a couple of lenses, FL-600R flash, and accessories.

Regards,

Jim

12. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    http://store.lowepro.com/pro-runner-200-aw

I have this and it holds the EM5 fully gripped with the 25 or 60 on it (whichever isn't on fits in there too) and the 12,45,40-150,FL-600R, clip on flash, filters, Formatech filter holder and 6xfilter wallet, lens cleaning brush, lens cap, body cap, spare batteries, leads, pixel soldier remote cable release receiver and remote. There is space for more bits and bobs, it has a rain cover tuck away waist straps and you can strap a small tripod or monopod to it. I think it's a really good back-pack but maybe you want a sling or shoulder bag. Anyway it holds so much that when I can't be bothered thinking about what to take I basically take everything in this one bag :)
    I have decided I'd like a small-easy-access-while-slung-type-bag for street etc but no one can get by with just one bag can they?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
  14. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A