In need of a flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I have been reading about the different shoe mount flashes out there and just cannot pull the rigger. I have been looking at the Metz 24af-1 and the nissian DI466 FT. I do not use one all that much but want one, just in case. I will be using one on either the epl-2 or the em-5. I have used the flash that comes with the em-5 and has worked well for small things.

I have a small wedding to shoot in a few weeks, it is outdoors and want a flash for fill. I am leaning towards the nissian but wanted to hear what others have to say, from the ones that have used either would be really great.

Not sure if lens matters, but I have the 12-40 pro and 40-150R f4-5.6 and the 14-42IIR.

Thank you,

Randy

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The DI466FT is bigger and heavier, takes 4 batteries instead of 2 (faster recharge and more capacity), slightly more powerful GN, and has a power zooming head.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know it is a little more expensive, but I'd just step up to the Panasonic FL-360L. ($227 at B&H or Adorama) I think you'll just want to upgrade soon if you get one of the other limited functionality flashes.

4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I am not familiar with those units but if they don't offer both tilt and twist head for bouncing, I'd suggest you keep looking. If they do, faster recharge, more powerful GN and zoom head are always good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you for all the comments. I come from using the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800. Sold both as I am not doing that much wedding, senior type of work any more. In all the years I had them I may have used the twist less than 10 times and bounce maybe a bit more. I am really looking for a flash for fill with natural light. I will take a look at something a bit more but was really looking for something small and not so over powering on a 4/3rds type camera. Thank you.

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Take a look at the Nissin i40. It does just about everything. And is small.

7. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I have the Metz 24. Its cheap, small and easy to use, but it lacks power. It's ok for close work or smaller rooms but I used it once at a wedding (indoor venue) and considered it to be underpowered. Recycle times are not too bad on fresh batteries but it slows down when they start to deplete. It's better than the stock flash, plus the head tilts for bounce (no twist). I've had it for about 3 and a half years and it's still working fine, but I want to upgrade to something a little more sophisticated one day.

8. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    So I went ahead and ordered the Nissin DI 466 FT. Found it on Amazon for $132. As I do not use a flash that often was not looking to mortgage the house to get one. I have used sunpak in the past with my Hasselblads and they worked very well but have not use aftermarket much since. This sounds good so we shall see. Thank you for the comments.

Randy