In lieu of "native" lenses, any recommendations for a Nikon adapter?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kundalini, Aug 22, 2011.

1. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Before I go full bore with the 4/3's format and buy into the lens collection, my understanding is that I can get an adapter for my soon to arrive Oly E-P3. Only one lens is a DX lens, but a few of the remainder (FX) are good and and the rest are excellent gold ring Nikkor lenses. I would dearly love to be able to use those in the interim.

This poses another question. Since I'm new to this community and the micro 4/3 (even though I haven't even held my camera yet), are there certain websites that cater towards the m43 genre? Basically, Adorama and B&H and a select other few have been my constants for on-line purchases of dSLR gear. Where are some reliable on-line retailers for this group?

Thanks in advance.

2. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Nevermind. After searching the forum a bit more outside of the Olympus Cameras, I've found a lot more information about :43:

I'm just excited about the new gear. The waiting for delivery is making me crazy though.

Sorry. :blush:

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My suggestion would be to get all your Nikon lenses adapted to Four-Thirds, NOT Micro Four-Thirds. You can then get a Four-Thirds mount adapter for your Micro Four-Thirds body and go from there. There are cheaper Four-Thirds mount adapters that don't have the electronic contacts like the Panasonic and Olympus adapters.

The reason I say this is that will allow you to use Four-Thirds accessory lenses such as the 1.4x and 2x teleconverter, or the extension tube. It will also allow you to mount your Nikon lenses onto a Four-Thirds DSLR (like the Olympus E-System) body if you feel you need a compatible system with pro-grade pentaprism down the road. Also, having the Four-Thirds adapter will allow you to expand your lens collection with the excellent Zuiko, Leica, and Sigma Four-Thirds lenses. Of course, if you want to do this then you would be better off with the more expensive Four-Thirds mount adapters from Panaso nic or Olympus, but the cheap one will still get you started (especially after getting used to using your Nikon glass with no electronic coupling). If you have some good Nikkor glass then you may feel like you're downgrading your glass if you go with Micro Four-Thirds lenses unless you learn to use all primes (the prime selection in m43 is excellent, but the zoom selection is not). However, the Four-Thirds mount adapter will allow you to get fast zooms which are at least comparable or even better than your Nikkor glass.

Having only Four-Thirds adapters on your lenses will also save you a lot of packing space. Why triple your space with all these big SLR-to-Mirrorless adapters when you can keep just one SLR-to-Mirrorless adapter (the Four-Thirds adapter) and adapt all your individual lens mounts to a more comparable SLR format with tiny little adapters? The Four-Thirds mount has the shortest flange of all SLR mounts, so it will adapt to all SLR lenses. Then for those which are shorter than SLR (like Rangefinder lenses, Cine lenses, and Pen FT lenses), you can adapt those directly to Micro Four-Thirds.