In defense of the much-maligned PEN-F Art Filter knob.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Aug 13, 2016.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    As the Senior Editor for a regional lifestyle publication, I'm lucky enough to actually work with my cameras almost every day. The downside is I'm conscious of NEEDING them for work, and not taking my "work" cameras out as often as I should. So, I bought the new PEN-F as a carry around kit, and love it. Like most of you, I poured through the reviews. I was struck by how many seemed to not "get" that new color knob on the front! One of the reasons I went straight to Oly for my fun camera is that easy access to the Art Filters. I particularly like the Dramatic Tone. Yes, I can do that at home in post, but why? Either an image lends itself to that effect, or it doesn't, and I love seeing it in the field. Here's an example. First, this is a snapshot for Facebook. Yes, I could have spent more time on it, but that's not why I carry the Oly around. I want to GRAB some of these fleeting moments instead of analyzing them ad nauseam. The first was just a snap of a cool thunderhead forming nearby. Then an instant turn of the knob.

artfilter.

As far as storytelling goes, the Facebook post was much more visually interesting with the second photo. I happen to love that easy access, and their effects... and the PEN-F.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The issue with the knob isn't functionality, but its placement so that it gets in the way and is annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like the knob too. I shoot RAW + JPEG and enjoy switching back and forth quickly between color and B&W. Also like being able to quickly change the viewfinder so that I can see in B&W. Knob placement doesn't bother me at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    In the words of Britain's illustrious King to be, Prince Charges (aka Jug Ears), it's a monstrous carbuncle on the face of one of the prettiest u43 cameras out there.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    IMHO, it is perfectly placed and implemented.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Should never have been a thing and should have left all the art filter stuff as either something you upload pictures into and process with it online as with prisma/instagram or left in the desktop software. Totally pointless even doing it in camera and giving it its own knob taking up half the whole front face of the camera is something out of the nathan barley school of phone design.

10vLbvW.

7. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I really like it. I use it to switch between my normal shooting, to color profile 3, to mono profile 2. It is super handy, right under my finger.

I thought it would be goofy, but now I think it is one of the best features of the Pen F. Of course, if you never use it, it would be a useless appendage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    My youngest son's first football game of the season today. Took some cameras and lenses to pass the time shooting during the game. A7ii, A6000, and PEN F. Didn't need or want the dial's function today and never once felt it was in the way. AF was good, but I got more in-focus keepers with the Sony A6000. Used the 40-150 (not the pro version) on the Oly and a 24-240 on the Sonys. The A6000 and 24-240 was the most useful combo. I use the A6000 over my A6300 at my two sons' lacrosse and football games to keep the 400-600 exposures a day OFF of the A6300 shutter. This is the PEN F, slightly cropped.

run1.

• Like Like x 2
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We're all entitled to an opinion, especially when you can simply not buy the camera. I never notice it when I hold the camera so it's a non-issue for me.

10. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Love the knob myself. I use it for B/W and love pre-visualizing B/W in the viewfinder and being able to do curves adjustments pre-capture *AND* get a Jpeg and a RAW out. Awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    I really like having the knob there to quickly flick between the modes. I don't use art modes a lot, but I like Pop Art 2 in some abstract photography cases, and being able to quickly try a shot in colour profile 3, mono 2 and then Pop Art with minimal effort is fantastic.
    For my hand, the dial is completely unobtrusive. I have zero problem with its positioning.

12. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    Add me to the list of those who like and use the knob. Doesn't get in my way when not needed either. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. twenty200

twenty200 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2015
    Add me to the list of those thinking about buying a Pen F because it has the knob. 95% of the time, I shoot black & white with my EM1.

14. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I still want one even with the knob placement. The knob no doubt resembles the shutter dial on the original Pen-F and FT camera bodies, which I used to own and is the primary reason I went with an Olympus E-P3 when I was researching mirrorless cameras to 'upgrade' to from a DSLR.

olympus_pen_ft_by_kb244-d4ng700.

• Like Like x 2
  15. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm sorry, I know it's the infantile part of my brain but a whole thread of blokes talking about how much they love the knob had me almost pissing myself laughing... :clapping: :laugh1: :rofl: :hide: :2thumbs:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  16. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    If any guys here are unsure of their true feelings, feel free to contact me for knob pictures and videos. I might even let you come round and touch it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Would that make you a . . . knobographer?

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This was my first chance to use the new Wow rating, even if it is not what Amin intended it for . . . I would have to admit under oath, however, that I am quite fond of my knob.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've heard it said that playing with your knob can make you go blind.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ... but turn it as I may, it seems to stay in color.